Can you drill into the side of a solar panel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protryon

Reaction score
I have a Suniva 290W solar panel (I think), and I want to attach some angle aluminum to attach it to my roof. Is it safe to drill through the .5" thick aluminum frame on the side for bolts, or is that full of circuitry/wires? There are no side mounting holes, but there are on the bottom. I'd try, but I'm anxious to potentially throw $200 to the wind by accident.

The panel is all self-contained in the flat part, the aluminum is like a picture frame, safe to drill, just don't damage the panel itself.

It might void your warranty though.
Check the paperwork or mfg site. ;)

Most panels have plenty of room to drill into the frame, as long as you are careful about where the drill bit pops out the other side!

Yes, you can drill into the frame on just about any of them.

Can you post a picture of the frame, inside and out?

Just wanna be sure we dont have something unusual going on.

Most of us use small self-drilling sheet metal screws (about 1") to attach the angled aluminum.

I drilled into mine with no issues. I can't even begin to tell you how many holes, 30? maybe. MY two panels are joind with screws, washers and nuts in the center, had to drill a hole and counter sink each one.
Then on the outer corners the holes are large enough for 1/4 X 20 bolts.

there is no wiring in the aluminum frame work. Obviously your holes need to go through where it's just aluminum and not in the area of the panel.
I DON"T HAVE ANY CLOSE UPS BUT>>>>

Panel test fit.jpg

Attachments

• Panel test fit.jpg
    Panel test fit.jpg
    458.3 KB
Lots of holes through the sides   :)

IMG_20160807_154118_zpsysf2mvgq.jpg

I joined two 100 watt panels the way you're talking about
IMG_6361.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6361.JPG
    IMG_6361.JPG
    189.2 KB
I did it with mine about 5 years ago and they're still going strong. Just don't hit the back of the panel itself with the drill bit when it goes through.