Can I sleep at a truck stop ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some yes, some no, depends on the amount of customer parking. Most truck stops have parking for cars on a side in order to use their restaraunt/shops. Some places, especially out west, are quite big so it's no issue. The TA just .6 miles from where I am has a tiny area for cars, (favoring trucks, duhh), and they have signs up restricting rv's and overnight parking. They did make a paid lot ($11 a night)a cross the street for cars. So in summary, it's a "maybe". The farther east in the country the less likely due to crowding/competetion for land.

Many times, if you are not able to stay in the truck stop parking lot, there are places that are real close that you probably won't have a problem with.. Just be more strategical about it.. But most of them you should not have an issue

I use truck stops as one of my options running up and down the east coast. I always ask at the pay desk if it's ok and where I should park. Typically I'll ask if I can get breakfast at 5:00AM and then ask about parking. I may not be there for breakfast but no harm in letting them think I'm spending more money with them tomorrow.

I prefer mapping my driving to include fuel stops and overnight parking and always have 3 options to park that are free at each overnight fuel stop. Usually a Cracker-Barrel, Sam's Club, Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Truck Stops, the occasional motel or church, chain lumber yard and any Elks Club.

I may be fortunate but seldom am I told "No" to overnighting. If I do get a No it's because of some event or too many vehicles there before me.
Always get the name of who it was that told you it was ok. A time or two I did have someone knock on my door and tell me no parking but never ask for money. Those couple times when they wanted to kick me out I explained that "Doris" said it was ok. I got some comment and then they said ok, you can stay. I think once I remember them asking me to move down to another spot but that was it.

just my ol 2¢

I feel bad for you'll on the east coast. After traveling for decades up and down the west coast from Mexico to Alaska I have spent the night in truck stop less that 5 times. In fact I can only remember doing it twice. Out west there is really no reason to do it. Highdesertranger

I can only sleep at truck stops when I am really exhausted. I much prefer a park like setting.
-crofter

I tried to remember for sure but I don't think I've ever slept at a truck stop.

Diesel fumes and noise. Who needs that?

Better yet... park Next to UFO's, they turn off the lights...

Hologram8 said:
can I sleep in my car overnight at a truck stop without getting in trouble for it ?  :huh:
I traveled for 8 months in a Honda Element.  In smaller towns or some ways outside of a larger city it wasn't a problem.  Some bigger cities it was.  I found Flying J to usually be the most accommodating with large parking lots.  For those not familiar trucks and cars are in separate areas.

just looking for somewhere safe ~ I prefer not to be off by myself with no witnesses around to deter criminals .

I've slept in a lot of truck stops. It feels safer than parking at the side of the road in areas I don't know well. Nothing keeps me awake if I'm tired enough. I also sleep at rest areas when traveling. Of course I much prefer forests.