Can I change these control arm bushings myself?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
I had a shop quote me $900 to change four control arm  bushings,  upper and lower.  That seems steep to me.  They claim it has to be totally disassembled. Can I do this myself?

This is the worst one.  Passenger side,  and I think that's the upper. (Actually HDR first pointed this out to me at the RTR).
20170531_135431.jpg

Not sure where the lower is.
20170531_135503.jpg

Currently I'm in Yuma AZ. Trying to drive back to VT but my front tires are destroyed because the van doesn't hold an alignment (because of these bushings presumably). The tires are worn flat on both insides but showing 1/4" tread on the outsides. If I have to I'll put two new tires on and drive it but it'll ruin the tires again.

Attachments

• 20170531_135431.jpg
    20170531_135431.jpg
    939.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170531_135503.jpg
    20170531_135503.jpg
    945.3 KB · Views: 24
Whoops.  Maybe move this to mechanical issues.

I moved the thread for you. I forget what year is your van? some years you can buy the bushing and arms already assemble so you just unbolt the old ones and bolt on new ones. you might need a spring compressor but most of the time you can use the weight of the vehicle to compress the spring. of course you need an alignment after you install them. installing the individual bushing is not the easiest job and you need a press. highdesertranger

You can do it yourself. Easy enough, but it does need a complete disassembly of the suspension for control arm bushings. That is a couple hours of work and not all that expensive AS LONG as everything comes apart easily.

Get the Haynes manual on your van and it will walk you through the steps.

Of course, you will need an alignment after.

Did the shop check the ball joints? You can do them yourself. But as HDR stated, new arms with bushings installed might be a better option. Pressing out the old ones can be a P.I.T.A. You might find a how to video specific to your van on youtube.

Being a Dodge you should just get new control arms. They come with new bushings and new ball joints. You can NOT just do ball joints on your van. they are not serviceable. You must replace the whole arm with new ball joints already in place. Keep in mind that you will likely need an alignment after. Especially if you replace any of the adjustable components.

The van is a 1999 dodge 3500 1 ton.

Hmm. Not sure I'm up to doing this on my back in the dirt outside Yuma. I thought I could just hammer out the old ones.

Does that $900 quote sound excessive? They claim a full day's labor. Maybe I'll call around.

it's a full front end disassembly,and while your there,controll arm bushings,ball joints,tie rod ends,center link,check wheel bearing new seals
or all the movable joints in your suspension/steering since your there

hit rockauto and see what you can get the parts for

GotSmart said:
First, look at this, and think  "I can replace these" 

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,5.9l+v8,1354294,suspension,control+arm,10401

This will change the complete assemblies, and eliminate the rest of the worn parts in that system.  It took 2 men all day to change out my ball joints.  it only would have been $100 more to change the whole thing, and much less time.

Okay. Maybe I'll just put a pair of cheap tires on the van, drive it to VT where I have a place to receive parts and do work, then install those assemblies.

Seems better than paying near a grand in labor.

"Okay. Maybe I'll just put a pair of cheap tires on the van, drive it to VT where I have a place to receive parts and do work, then install those assemblies."

that might be your best bet. thanks Got Smart for posting the Rock Auto parts. highdesertranger

Personally, I'd rather wait until I (you) had a hand with labor and a place to do the work and spend the extra dough on a complete front suspension overhaul. Especially given how exposed, light duty, and prone to wear the Dodges front ends are. When ordering, be sure to spend the little extra for components with grease fittings and get yourself a grease gun and grease for regular servicing. Adding an air damn to keep crud off your front suspension in thefuture is also a good idea.

Here's a dumb question,  how do I know which parts to order?  The sticker inside my driver's door says 4000lb front but that rockauto link has multiples for 4000lb and they're different.

Attachments

• 20170531_171233.jpg
    20170531_171233.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
are you just going to do one?
which side are you going to do?

there is upper left and right and lower left and right,assuming left is drivers,take a look at yours and visually match it

MOOG RK620369 {#4210877AE, 5134387AA} R-Series; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info

Front Left Upper; 4000 Lb Axle

MOOG RK620370 {#4210876AE, 5134386AA} R-Series; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info

Front Right Upper; 4000 Lb Axle

MOOG RK621655 R-Series; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info

Front Left Lower; 4000 Lb Axle; LT245/75R16 Original Tire Size

MOOG RK621656 R-Series; Complete Arm w/ Ball Joint Info

Front Right Lower; 4000 Lb Axle; LT245/75R16 Original Tire Size

Just my opinion.  I would stick with the Moog. Get grease fittings and install after the replacement is complete.

Then there is the option of getting the top dollar ones at the bottom of the page. JMHO, you are putting it on a vehicle that you will be using ??? how many more years? Your choice.

There is not much difference in your 99's front suspension, than my 89

I fully rebuilt mine myself in 2011.

i did not consider the premade control arms with the ball joints and bushings installed. mostly as the reported aftermarket replacements were said to be steel of half the gauge thickness as the original control arms, and the bushing and ball joints preinstalled were of suspect quality.

A few reports of inability to properly align vehicle afterwards.

Removing the upper ball joints, requires a special socket and trememdous amounts of torque. As in a 6 foot breaker bar and two guys pushing on it might not be enough.

Leave control arm attached to vehicle before attempting to unthread upper ball joint

Lower control arm ball joint is pressed in/out.  AZs rent a ball joint press was not big enugh, i had to cut off threaded studs to press them out.

I used a 20 ton shop press to get new  Knurled ball joints installed and was pulling hard on the hydraulic lever

The control arm bushings, well I drilled out the rubber, some burn it out, then removed the inner collar, then slid a hack saw blade against the outer bushing retainer and scored it, then bent in inward with cold chisel and they fell out.

LCA bushing was able to use AZ ball joint tool to insert, uppers requires same 20 ton shop press.

That said I was in baja in 2006 and had brought new UCA bushings with me and was charged about 45 dollars to do driver's side.  Took em about 2.25 hours.  They did not appear to have the right tools.

They aligned it by look and feel after replacing.  Drove straight, tires wore evenly for 15K more miles, and I did not get a full alignment until I redid the whole front suspension in 2011 .

One can easily mangle the control arms trying to press out old bushings, or pressing them in, but I would rebuild your original control arms rather than going with whatever is available premade.

Moog once had a great name.  I am not so sure that is still true unless one gets old stock when it was still made in the USA.

I used XRF ball joints and tie rod ends, Moog problem solver Idler arms, Moog LC and UCa bushings and drag link.  Raybestos professional grade might be good to perhaps best available quality.  I;ve  not researched things lately and who knows what will be in the box anyway these days

The  tie rod end and drag link dust boots have been an issue in the subsequent 6 years  They split along the seam. I replaced with Energy Suspension polyurethane boots.  

ES makes poly UCA and LCA bushings, but one must save the inner collet which rides on the bolt and not screw up the outer bushing casings when burning out/drilling out old rubber, but no press is required, AFAIK, to get the new  poly bushings in old bushing housings.

The lower XRF ball joints would not accept grease for a while. When they did the redline CV-2 synthetic grease did not react well( it degelled) with what XRF pumped them full with, and I purged a lot of old grease and do so way more often than required now.

I recommend doing this yourself at home and to sacrifice a new set of tires to get you there, or get the parts and drive to Mexico then come back for an alignment and the quality tires you desire but the ball joints can certainly be suspect too, and could still Schmemmie the new tires.

my upper ball joint socket (OTC 8034) was about 35$.  

http://www.tooltopia.com/sunex-tool...tid=SUN10214&gclid=CKPV_4nYm9QCFQ5EfgoduQMIYQ

A large pipe wrench will not work to unthread them  The flats to grab are too narrow, and not enough space to get the pipe wrench head on them anyway. Especially if there is any visible rust.  My vehicle spent most of its life in florida before my ownership, Little underbody rust. 

While waiting for parts I wirebrushed and dental picked the ball joint UCA seam using PB blaster, every day for a week.  I tried the large pipe wrench, i tried to weld up my own socket, then when I bought the special ball joint socket, as apparently no one in southern California has one,  I needed about a 4 foot breaker bar before they busted loose with just me pulling on it, and yes i did wind up on my back when they let loose.

When i rebuilt my front suspension in 2011, I left in the UCA bushings I had installed in Baja in 2006, as they were still good.  They are Moog.

Within a few months of the rebuild, one of the bolts holding my UCA onto the read end of pivot bar had loosened back up.  Weird tire wear of the new tire on that wheel caused the inspection which revealed this fault,

After alignment, I recommend a drop of loctight on these nuts.

I did not read through the whole thread. Pressed for time. Your first photo is a strut rod bushing. You have to remove two bolts from the lower control arm, the large nut at the rear of the rod, there is a pin to drive out. Remove the rod and replace the two rubber bushings, then put every thing back together. Hoping you don't get noises from the bushings. I just did my old Dodge. I'm a old, retired mechanic, with many years experience in a frame shop. Working in my driveway, it was not easy for me. If I had the $$ I would sure use a qualified shop to do the next one.

Ask yourself if the van, in its entirety is worth the investment?. Does it run and look good beyond this one problem? Almost 20 years of wear and tear. Are other gremlins coming?
Throwing good money towards tires at this point sounds bad to me.
Replace the whole assembly, on both sides.
I'm sure the other side is near failure at this point.
Unless you are mechanically inclined or have a friend who is, I'd go to the shop.
Special tools and skills are needed.
Most reputable alignment shops wont work with worn tires. So, expect to invest in new rubber.

Till then, don't drive in the rain. Bald tires are death waiting.

I tried to delete that post. Sorry. I did not look close enough. I have that problem on my old dodge. Upper control arm bushings. The best deal to save time is the kit with bushings, control arm, and upper ball joint. I know the job, and have the tools. But I will take it to the alignment shop that can do old stuff. I did do my strut rod, sway bar, and 3 tie rod ends. Along with front wheel bearings. There is a list for you to check on yours. :)

I can't believe these tires made it back to Vermont.

Attachments

• 20170605_142326.jpg
    20170605_142326.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20170605_142333.jpg
    20170605_142333.jpg
    1,003.3 KB · Views: 12