camping in WA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathleen1552

Reaction score
Need input on camping in WA, Are there any current campers in the area? I am currently parked in front of a friends house in Burien waiting for all solar parts to come in. I want to get out there but I am new to this. I hope to find someone, or even a group to join up with for awhile. :huh:

Hi Kathleen,

I'd be game to go camping with you for a few days, but not in the rain ... that's no fun. Next weekend shows sunny in Western WA, but I have family commitments at that time. So, let's keep an eye on the weather and plan accordingly. If you are willing to go east of the mountains, the likelihood of sun is better. PM or email me if you have any ideas ... and I'll do the same.

Suanne (in Fall City)

I just buzzed through eastern Washington last month. The free campsites webpage was amazing. Every spot better than the last. There is a pass for state facilities, its 30 dollars annually, probably worth getting. The only state site I wanted to camp at didn't allow overnight camping, I parked a half mile up the road at a wide e spot. Probably some good spots on the Olympic peninsula, I haven't been there in years, but there was a quarter shower in Port Townsand. I'm starting to wonder why I'm sleeping in this fred myer parking lot in Portland.

Hank

Western WA is not very hospitable to van dwellers. Are you working, or locked into the Burien area, or traveling? The Forest Service has closed down quite a few campgrounds (and from what I've seen, it's not a temporary situation). Olympic National Park has the most campgrounds, but they run about $20/day.

You can look around the industrial areas, but there is quite a homeless situation in most of the highly-populated areas, no BLM land, no dispersed camping that I know of on FS land west of the Cascade Range. Central and Eastern WA is much more available.

If you're working there, your best bet would probably be to find someone with a bit of land that will let you stay there.

I had no issues boondocking down misc logging roads on NF land all over the Olympic pensula. I have made 4 separate slow boondocking trips around the pensula. Beware some of those roads start in great shape and become very rough later on.