Camping in State and Natl. Park Rates higher for out-of-State

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s not uncommon for state parks to charge more for out of state visitors, also to require all to purchase an annual pass or pay a daily fee in lieu of annual.

Federal sites charge the same regardless where you are from, your 50% discount being if you have a Senior or other Pass

The thinking is that the taxes residents pay to the state go in part toward upkeep of state parks. So residents aren't paying less, over all, to use state parks, they're just paying less at the parks. I suppose if you pay a lot in taxes you might technically be paying more to use the parks than non-residents.

yes Federal parks are the same price for everybody. the article you posted says Oregon State Parks, that's all. Highdesertranger

I am a Washington resident, but I have purchased an Oregon Parks Pass, which means I get to use day use areas for free. It cost $30 for a year. (Not all Oregon day use parks charge fees, but the more scenic/desirable ones usually do.)

Also, note that the Oregon legislature removed Oregon parks from general fund (= income taxes) support some decades ago. OPRD is supported entirely by fees, lottery funds, and other non-general fund sources.

A very common pattern for me is to sleep at rest areas or other free sites, and spend the day at day use parks.

I saw that too when I was scouting out a trip into Wyoming. I contacted the state and said that doing so discourages out of state travelers staying in their state parks. I will be staying in National Parks or or private camping spots. I don't get it, sicne an out of state person would more than likely only stay a couple of days a year, why charge more since they will not be using it as much as a local person.

Thats got to be a nightmare when collecting fees. Often a party will have campers vehicles from more than one state, as in meetup at XYZ campground this weekend. Or they moved to the state but did not change their license & reg yet. 

The surcharges will probably impact the camping budgets of poor people, but have little effect on anyone else. 
-crofter

yea federal think for all.....for state parks think.....for a state resident.....non-residents pay higher for use on campsite fees, entrance fees, hunting/fish license fees and more.

I mean it is kinda a normal thing across the board tho. Who wants to pay that extra non-res fee price, no one but it is out there and I am cool with it!

Oregon has done stuff like this before, since at least the 1970s. Then governor McCall assured Californians they were welcome to visit (and be sure you bring your money), but don't go there to live.

Some time later, I hear that Oregon didn't even want them to visit, just throw their money over the state line.

While there has always been a price difference here in Massachusetts, to discourage out of state travel the rate was more than doubled for non residents last year.

Boy I am glad I don't stay at developed campsites especially State Parks. Highdesertranger

I don’t think that out-of-state-higher fees are targeted to van dwellers, but to RV’ers in general who travel especially into popular states.

May be simply a way of encouraging locals to use state resources and simply charging a premium for those who travel in.

desert_sailing said:
I would much rather they add a very large surcharge to those "outsiders" buying 2nd+ homes or large swaths of land that push the locals out.
This is where there's been some real heart-break in Oregon, houses and land being sold by some Oregonians, while other Oregonians can't come close to affording a small piece of land let alone buy a home on an acre.  But I don't think Oregon is the only place this has happened, just look back over the history of the world.

Makes me just want to enjoy and take care of what we have left.