Camping / hiking gear

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyGutz

Reaction score
I want to know what anyone suggests for top of the line or at least mid-grade camping gear. i want to be able to be free on the road and take advantage of the places i go. but i want to be smart, and safe, and have the least discomfort when it comes to my gear. i don't plan on doing any major rock climbing or anything of that sort. so i wont need (I dont think any kind of shoe spikes or extreme climbing gear , just the basics for now)<br /><br /> So if anyone knows or can suggest any gear for hiking/camping that would be great. (items i'm looking for information on are but not limited to: Boots, backpack(preferably with a built in hydration system (camelbak).&nbsp; Tents, waterproof items (shirts, pants, etc) maybe a good knife, other tools i may need.

There are lots of posts here. &nbsp;Just do a search. &nbsp;Started one about tents the other day. &nbsp;two suggestions &nbsp;One is the company called REI as they usually always have good quality gear. &nbsp;The other company is CAMPMOR who has a lot of great bargains. &nbsp;<br /><br />If you buy an expensive manufacturer, you should check the EBAY market for that same model. &nbsp;Then if you have to sell or trade up you will know what you could get later.

Yeah i looked into some REI Things. Ill check out CAMPMOR and see what ebays got.. what about amazon? im sketch about buying things on amazon ( i know somethings are new) but it seems a lot are second hand..

If you are going to do on-line, Walmart.com is also good with their site to store for free shipping and a good policy for returns at the store. &nbsp;The selection on-line is very large and not the same as in the stores. &nbsp;They had about a hundred items when searching for backpacks in the sporting good section, including some fairly good quality ones that were more appropriate to a camping store. (but obviously not the high end stuff like REI has.

&nbsp;Footwear. Don't matter how good the rest of your stuff is, your feet have to carry it all. Personally, I'm all about leather. Got a pair of Vasque heavy hikers that are going on 15 yrs old and have been used from the Arctic tundra to the Arizona desert. Don't buy cheap (Wal-Mart n such), but get quality. ..Willy.

I agree, Willy!&nbsp; I have two pairs of Vasque hiking boots and they wear like iron.&nbsp; Just need to replace the insoles occasionally.&nbsp; When it comes to the serious camping and hiking equipment, it pays to buy good brands.&nbsp; There are plenty of web sites with reviews, too, and REI does a great job in educating about various equipment and what to look for as well as how to use it properly.&nbsp; They are great and I used to be a member but found I could save so much money buying stuff at Campmor I didn't order much from REI.

What stores carry Vasque hiking boots?&nbsp; <br />Rae

I bought mine from Campmor but REI sells them, as do most top gear sellers.

You can't go wrong by buying any REI product. They are all top quailty and cost less than the big "name brands". Plus, REI will give you a lifetime&nbsp; warranty and they mean it!! You can't beat their warranty!!! If there isn't a store near you, you can get it online. Become a member and you will get a refund (dividend) on everything you buy at the end of the year, plus a 20% off coupon on any full-price item.. <br /><br />Unless you know for a fact some other brand is MUCH better or on sale and so it's cheaper BUY REI PRODUCTS!!

&nbsp;Well, no REI here in B.C., though I did visit the one in Eugene Oregon once. Two other things I feel I should mention: The less seams on a boot, the better (mine has only 1 going up the heel, and it has a leather cover over it and, 2nd, avoid injection molding and plastic. ..Willy.

Knife- i have a leatherman "wave" that i have had for several years tbat goes everywhere but the shower with me. About $80 at lowes or home depot, its on the higher end of the knife selection, but well worth it. 18 tools, surgical stainless steel, made in america and guranrteed for 25 years. Well worth the cost difference over the $20 china crap. i broke the pliars jaw on mine ( my fault, dont ask) and mailed it back to them in oregon, and was sent a brand new one. Dont forget to get the little stuff too, compass, magnifying glass, mirror and fire starter ( flint and steel or magnesium stick) the rest of my gear is a combination of walmart, yard sale and army surplus.

For a number of years I did ultra lite camping and hiking, this involved using lots of light stuff.<br />I normally carried, yes food and;<br /><br />US Army Rain Poncho (better than the Canadian ones)<br />Bivi Bag British was great<br />espit stove and a MSR multi fuel stove with fuel bottle<br />Military water bottle with cover and metal cup<br />small lightweight stove/pot combo<br />2 pairs of pants, one for the day, one for the night<br />2-3 pairs underwear, you just wash and let dry on rucksack while you walk<br />4 pairs socks, 2 pair light 2 pair work, do same to clean them<br />1 hiking shorts/swim trunks<br />gaters to keep bottom of pants dry and clean mornings and on rainy days<br />100' para cord<br />k-bar knife<br />folding locking blade knife<br />Leatherman tool, would use a Gerber now<br />camera<br />Hiking staff/defensive staff - awesome for getting over small streams or other uses<br />sleeping bag<br />wash/shave bag<br />water purification;<br />tabs, katadine water filter, iodine<br />matches in every pocket, in plastic<br />zippo lighter, quick cheap lighter<br />extra tarp for putting the Bivi on or for those nasty rainy days or weekends, to cover a larger area.<br />Hiking boots, your main walkers and a light sport shoe that is used for the water, wading, swimming and the evenings.<br />small container with eco friendly was soap<br /><br />Most was Military, or bought from Mountain Equipment Co-op, only high quality items.<br /><br />FIRE = LIFE<br />so lots of matches, wind proof, water proof, keep in different pockets in case they get damaged, &nbsp;strike anywhere do not bring dangerous hiking.<br />Zippo, as it can use most any fuel,&nbsp;<br />regular BIC style lighter as a backup device.<br /><br />Map of the area in water proof map case, if you go to that area a lot, cover it with map tack

Use the Buddy System. &nbsp;I had 2 'brothers' growing up that were boy scouts, and I think it's important safety! I'd recommend whenever going off by yourself, make sure you tell someone where you are planning on going, what you are planning on doing and when you are planning on returning. (and then CHECK IN when you do return!)<br /><br />This is in case something goes wrong. 99% of the time if you are safe and sane, nothing will go wrong, but it only takes once! The chances of getting out alive increase dramatically if they know when and where to go looking for you! &nbsp;There was that movie about the guy that had to cut his arm off or whatever cause he got it stuck bouldering, and nobody knew where he was. &nbsp;ALWAYS be prepared, have food and water and tools to help you make both in case you need (and learn how to make both!)<br /><br />I really like what WildernessReturn said, a great list of stuff. &nbsp;For me, I like to start out with minimal equipment, do day hikes and stuff, and slowly as you problem solve the issues that come up, you get gear, make gear, etc to solve those problems. &nbsp;I recommend trying to buy things that are multi-taskers, when possible.

Read The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher&nbsp;he was like the Father of backpacking a few years back.&nbsp; Now days with almost everything made in China it is getting harder to find good quality camping gear and the prices are rising every day.&nbsp; Pay no attention to price when you are looking for backpacking gear.&nbsp; Once you get 'out thar' price don't mean anything.&nbsp; The price may be your life.&nbsp; Gore-Tex is a must have for rain proof parka and pants.&nbsp; Gore-Tex boots work&nbsp;good but don't when wore out.&nbsp; Gore-Tex gloves work too.&nbsp; Once you have the shell of Gore-Tex protecting you, you can just stick a plastic garbage bag inside your pack to waterproof the contents of your pack.&nbsp; I even have a waterproof woodland camo pack cover that works good and it is Gore-Tex too [can you tell I like GORE-TEX]?&nbsp; Before Gore-Tex came along life outside of pure summer was a real bummer.&nbsp;&nbsp;Sure it's expensive but it is worth every penny in the comfort and safety you will have.&nbsp; Before you buy any backpacking gear think about WEIGHT and Bulk.&nbsp; If you look after the ounces the pounds&nbsp;won't be a bother.&nbsp; You need good quality underwear that transports your sweet from your body to the Gore-Tex, then the Gore-Tex allows the&nbsp;sweat molecules to evaporate through&nbsp;it.&nbsp; Water molecules can't get through the Gore-Tex material but sweat goes right&nbsp;through, so you are WATERPROOF.&nbsp; Get only GORE-TEX I don't trust the other look a like names on the market.&nbsp;&nbsp;It would be nice to have a Gore-Tex hat too with a brim that is wide enough to cover your head.&nbsp; Wearing the hood up on your parka all the time is a pain.&nbsp; The swiss army knife works good but the steel dulls quick so carry a sharpening tool with you.&nbsp; Butane cartridges for your stove are no good for high altitudes.&nbsp; Use military parachute cord for general camping rope.&nbsp; A very good base camp tent is the Eureka Equinox 6 person tent.&nbsp; It holds up to high windy conditions.&nbsp; In bear country carry a NEW can of Bear Off spray and put it where you can get to it fast.&nbsp; Motorola walkie talkies work good to communicate&nbsp;while out in the woods.&nbsp; Cell phones are not reliable.&nbsp; Every member of&nbsp;your party should have a loud piercing whistle, use a&nbsp;code to let each other know what is happening.

&nbsp;&nbsp; Qualifyers out of the way first. First time "camping", 1 month old, been doing it ever since. You were born wet and chances are you have been wet more than once. How did the old ones ever survive without GORETEX? Don't worry about the latest crap for the biggest dollars or the folks that tout it. KISS--you know what that means don't you. Put your dollars away and figure out how to function in this day and age wherever you choose. If all else fails ask the first "homless person" you see how he manages to get by. Folks will try to sell you how dangerous it is out "THERE" so they can sell you some latest, greatist, can't survive without it stuff. You know the saying&nbsp; Just do it!<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; By the way Kate, my four legged copilot and I just came in from a 5 mile (timed) walk in the Az. desert carrying a bottle of water and a good attitude. There may be Dragons there but we didn't encounter them!&nbsp;

+1 On Vasque hiking boots, Willie.<BR><BR>On another note, I dug out my M1949 US Army Arctic/Mountain sleeping bag the other day to deal with the recent cold snap.&nbsp; Find myself re-learning what I learned a long time ago:<BR><BR>Down bags with any sort of non-breathing bivy cover have to be aired out - turned inside out and hung to air - or they lose their warmth because they've absorbed the moisture from the previous night.&nbsp; Three nights without airing them and they'll have converted themselves to a negative, rather than a positive sleeping tool.<BR><BR>Might even be true with a Gortex bivy sack.&nbsp; I probably knew once, but can't recall.<BR><BR>But for light backpacking I think personally a Gortex bivy sack might be the best invention of the 20th Century until the Gortex wears through and begins to leak.<BR><BR>On footwear, I'm a big believer on Thorlo socks.&nbsp; Never found anything better.<BR><BR>I'm fond of Sorrel boots with liners for winter wear camping because the liners can be removed from the outter boots and used for house-shoes inside the tent, vehicle, whatever.

If you are interested in actually backpacking check out <a href="http://www.backpackinglight.com" rel="nofollow">www.backpackinglight.com</a> and start off right. It is a pay site but worth it plus they have a place on the forum to buy and sell used gear. They also have the most in depth gear reviews of any other source. All my real expensive heavy gear sets in storage while my cheaper lighter weight gear&nbsp;keeps me comfortable in camp and alot more comfortable on the trail. My only exception is sleeping bags, to get a good lightweight down sleeping bag like my Western Mountaineering bags costs alot but they also last for life. <br><br>I have been backpacking for 30 plus years and have been in the outdoor industry for 20 years and there is no need for heavy duty gear for&nbsp; backpacking unless you are mountaineering or doing a lot of bushwacking. I have&nbsp;rarely worn out a pack, or tent, how you store them is more important then use. But for camping gear weight is not that important but you don't need to spend a alot. You can camp with backpacking gear but you can't backpack with heavy camping gear so decide what it is you want to do.