Camping across Texas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just missed the world's largest rattlesnake round up there at Sweetwater! I have a brother that used to go for that.

I watched a few videos on that.  I had the idea of stocking up on some skins for my leather work while I'm here but I'm kind of up in the air about the bloodthirsty nature of the event and do I want to support it?  There are other towns that do rattlesnake round-ups but they are catch and release after they've milked the venom - probably a better way to go.

Dennis said:
You just missed the world's largest rattlesnake round up there at Sweetwater!  I have a brother that used to go for that.

Ugh. I'm a longtime snake keeper who used to make a living doing live reptile shows for school classes--I've kept around 100 different species, including venomous.

These "rattlesnake roundups" are a travesty. Most of their idiot babbling is just sensational and inaccurate, and virtually none of the snakes are actually caught locally--they are all imported.

It may impress tourists who simply want to see the snakes and who don't know very much about them, but we snakers heartily give them a double thumbs-down.

Here's a cool park with free camping in Granbury, Texas.  It's not a wilderness experience, but nice and quiet - good for a few days.  Granbury also has a nice looking little downtown area - like a formerly dead vintage small town downtown that has been rejuvenated.  I find that park camping is best, Monday through Friday when you usually have the place almost to yourself.  Suits me, because after 5-7 days I start getting bored and get itchy to see something new.  This is a nice stop over.  Now I need to decide - do I go up into Arkansas and Missouri, or head South again after this stop.

Looks like the severe weather is behind me, for this week anyway - going to be beautiful.

Attachments

• 2017-04-04 07.21.32.jpg
    2017-04-04 07.21.32.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
I left Granbury this morning. A bit windy on I 20, but not too bad. I was surprised that there was as much traffic as there was going through DFW on a Sunday. Just a ways past Dallas is Winnsboro, Texas and this sweet spot right on Winnsboro Lake. It's right on a little peninsula jutting out into the lake, so water on 3 sides. There were some better spots than the one I took, but too shady for solar. Again, not wilderness but I have this whole park to myself. Free with bathrooms and water.

East Texas is some beautiful countryside, very lush and green everywhere. Another thing about Texas is that no matter where I've been, people are awesome, friendly and kind.  People go out of their way to pull out maps and phones to help me get un-lost, and getting lost on these winding back roads isn't hard to do.  Last spot in Texas before I head into Arkansas.

Attachments

• 2017-04-09 15.04.23.jpg
    2017-04-09 15.04.23.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Sure enough lush and green. Looks like weather might be bumpy tomorrow afternoon again.

I don't know what your route is, if you have it planned, but there is a very scenic drive from eastern Oklahoma into western Arkansas on the Talimena Scenic Drive. Just east of Talihina, OK. Thought I would mention it if you didn't know about it and looking for a nice drive. Goes across Rich Mountain of OK and AR. and into Ouachita National Forest. Been on it several times in years past. A little farther east and there are the crystal mines if you want to get dirty.

Awesome, Dennis - that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Not much planning here - I usually just try and figure what I'm going to do a few days ahead. I'd been looking at spots in Ouachita NF on freecampsites.  I'm going to take your advice.  Thanks - much appreciated.

Boy, this is one windy area - it's coming across the lake now - looks like a choppy sea. I'll batten down the hatches for tomorrow.

Thought you might be interested. Only thing, it is winding and some steep grades. Has scenic pull offs. This storm and rain coming tomorrow will hopefully have moved on east when you get ready to move. It is a pretty drive!

Going to be time for a new state thread soon. :)

Dennis said:
Going to be time for a new state thread soon. :)

I hope people keep this going and keep sharing the spots they find.  There might be many more remote spots out west, but there's plenty to discover here as well.

IanC said:
I hope people keep this going and keep sharing the spots they find.  There might be many more remote spots out west, but there's plenty to discover here as well.

I've been having a good time in Oklahoma City. When I first got here one of the cashiers at a museum told me, when she heard I was from Florida, that she lived here all her life and doesn't see why any tourist would come to Oklahoma. But there are actually some cool little museums here.

Panhandle Plains Museum in Canyon TX is worth checking out if ever in the area. So is Palo Duro Canyon outside of town a few miles.

Palo Duro Canyon is a great drive, a bit twisty on the way down and hot as the innards of hell in the summer, but should be nice now.

Rob

Ian, if you head north into Oklahoma from where you are now, you'll not be far from Hugo, Oklahoma.  There is a Roadside America attraction there that IMHO is worth seeing.  It's Mount Olivet Cemetery.  There are sections set aside for professional bull riders and circus people.  Lane Frost, who the move 8 Seconds is about, is buried there.  Check out the web for info to see if it interests you.  I think it's great for the love and devotion reflected in the headstones. 

There's camping just east of Hugo on Hugo Lake.  Don't use the state park.  Use one of the Corp of Engineer Campgrounds.

x2 on what Dennis said about Talimena Scenic Drive.  There are three campgrounds along the drive.  The one closest to Talihina is an Oklahoma state park.  I do not understand why state parks are so pricey, especially that one.  The middle campground is a forest service campground, primitive, cheap, pretty. Then there's Queen Wilhelmina State Park on the Arkansas side. However about ten miles north on Oklahoma highway 59/270 is the turnoff to Cedar Lake.  There is primitive camping there for $5 ($2.50 with a geezer card) and warm showers.  It's remote, quiet, beautiful, and did I mention warm showers. 

Beaver's Bend State Park north of Broken Bow is worth a drive through. There are several lakes in that area. It's pretty country, but could be my partiality is showing.  If you cross the Red River, I hope you enjoy your visit.

[quote pid='280336' dateline='1491889630']

Beaver's Bend State Park north of Broken Bow is worth a drive through. There are several lakes in that area. It's pretty country, but could be my partiality is showing.  If you cross the Red River, I hope you enjoy your visit.
[/quote]

Thanks, I just might do a bit of Oklahoma since I've never been there

Hi Lisa... I am bring this tread back up as it still seems relevant. If you are doing the Ren Fest in Mount Pleasant in September .... You might want to check out Canton First Monday before the festival.... The dates for that month will be Aug 31- Sept 4. There is camping available in Canton. It is a City wide event.

Lake Bob Sandlin State park is 20 miles from the festival ...camping with electricity and water is 22.00 per night (that is including the entry fee)
Never been to this park so I cant give you any info on it.

Daingerfield State Park is 31 miles away..... camping with water only is 14.00 per night (entry fee included)
with water electric and sewer is 24.00 a night (EFI)
This is a nice clean little park......I've have showered in this park many times and have never found either of the two bathrooms dirty.. Each one has two nice shower stalls.... almost as nice as the Love's TS in Leary just a lot cheaper.

Me ..... I am 36 miles away...so if I knew more what you needed I am sure I could scout you out something.

ice_maiden said:
Hi Lisa... I am bring this tread back up as it still seems relevant.  If you are doing the Ren Fest in Mount Pleasant in September .... You might want to check out Canton First Monday before the festival.... The dates for that month will be Aug 31- Sept 4.  There is camping available in Canton. It is a City wide event.

Lake Bob Sandlin State park is 20 miles from the festival ...camping with electricity and water is 22.00 per night (that is including the entry fee)
Never been to this park so I cant give you any info on it.

Daingerfield State Park is 31 miles away..... camping with water only is 14.00 per night (entry fee included)
with water electric and sewer is 24.00 a night (EFI)
This is a nice clean little park......I've have showered in this park many times and have never found either of the two bathrooms dirty.. Each one has two nice shower stalls.... almost as nice as the Love's TS in Leary just a lot cheaper.

Me ..... I am 36 miles away...so if I knew more what you needed I am sure I could scout you out something.

That Canton first Monday sounds interesting. Haven't heard of Daingerfield SP but I will check it out. Have you been to Canton since the tornado? I'm planning on doing a lot of watercolor painting on the road and I'm looking for scenic areas to camp and paint.

Funny you ask..... I was there DURING the tornadoes.... 7 of them.... Have a friend that is a vendor there in the Civic Center.... I go when the weather is cool enough for car camping.... Actually watched a tornado skip over the park...and another travel down I-20.... Most of us around holed up in the cement bathroom building....It has been there a lot of years, so we figured that was the safest place.... She was in the shower stall praying and I was peeking out the door to see if anything was going to get us. Most of the major damage was on the eastern side of the city... trades days park is on the western side.

Actually....there is one more state park in the area... it's at Atlanta TX which is not too far away... don't know much about it at all... This one is at Wright Patman Lake.

From this area though you are not far away from a lot of painting opportunities ....I am 13 miles from the Arkansas boarder...and I think about 30 from the Oklahoma border, both are beautiful...I tend to be partial to AR ....You can be in the Ouachita Mountains in a couple of hours from here ...So under 3 from Mount Pleasant.... lots of places to camp up there too. If you are that close, I wouldn't miss Hot Springs either.. lots of touristy things to do there.... but the scenery is stunning. It is actually not that far into Louisiana either... But if scenery is what you want to paint ...I'd pick Arkansas