Camping across Texas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa Truck Gypsy

Reaction score
Need help finding places to camp as I am going through Texas. Campgrounds, state parks, safe boondocking...whatever your experiences have been

We stopped in for a night at Tho­mpson Grove Picnic Site. Was just us there. Small place, couple picnic tables and vault toilets. About 15 miles from Texline, Tx. Stars were awesome because its quite isolated. In the morning 3 dogs came around, they were friendly enough.

Freecampsites.net is a great refererence. I just finished a 2 month stay in Texas, had a great time. Enjoy:)

I second Freecampsites.net. Most Walmarts and other big box stores are good too. We also stay overnight at the small rest area/picnic table stops along state roads. They don't have anything but tables and trash cans. I think you can stay for 24 hours.

Freecamsites.net is a great go to
Also, forum members who aren't on the road may offer accommodation
I'm stationary, and I have a spot in the yard members could use, if you were in the Garwood area and wanted more than an overnight, neighborhood is run down and probably looks unsafe, but I've had no problems aside from one pesky woman in the area who has since moved
Columbus Walmart / HEB (where I work) allows overnight parking, and I see some vehicles there for more than one night

Just FYI the place in Tx is called Thompson Grove Campground. Its prob a 2 week stay. Its in a National Park grassland.

Magnolia Beach near Port Lavaca if your near the Gulf. Its SE of San Antone about an hour. You can drive right on the beach as its all hard packed seashells & boondock camp right next to the water. Free! on the beach No permit needed & no time limit. No one ever messes with you. Pik is my rig when I spent a week there first of December on my way to the desert.

Can't get any better!.........INTJohn TV

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 31
Also campendium.com

When contemplating Texas state parks, keep in mind that in addition to the camping fee there's a park entry fee for each day you're there. If you plan on using their parks a lot, it's worth it to get an annual pass.

I will be in Mount Pleasant vending at a Rennaissance Faire for 4 weekends and I'm looking for nearby camping. I do have 4 days between each show to travel around TX. Anyone know places nearby that are worth seeing? I would drive up to 8 hours to find something for 4 days.

INTJohn said:
Magnolia Beach near Port Lavaca if your near the Gulf. Its SE of San Antone about an hour. You can drive right on the beach as its all hard packed seashells & boondock camp right next to the water. Free! on the beach No permit needed & no time limit. No one ever messes with you. Pik is my rig when I spent a week there first of December on my way to the desert.

Can't get any better!.........INTJohn TV

Wow...you get a super thank you for that little jewel of a site.

Beware the state parks.They are super expensive by the time you add all the fees up.Bob has the best solution.

I stayed at the rest areas from FL to Quartzsite... out and back :)

I'll be heading into Texas in a week or so. Going to check out Balmorea Lake, off Interstate 10 and then up 20 to Sweetwater Lake. When I was coming West I stayed at Brady (off Rt 190, which is the most boring highway you'll ever travel on)) for a few days - a nice town park. They are all pay sites but since I'll be heading back down to the Gulf, I'll be checking out John's recommendation for sure. Lake Whitney is a freebie - looks pretty good too https://freecampsites.net/#!2970&query=sitedetails

When you get back will you please reply back and let me know where you went and what you thought.

Fritch fortress highway on Lake Meredith. Big campground on the lake. Nice bathrooms with showers. Free

Lisa Truck Gypsy said:
I will be in Mount Pleasant vending at a Rennaissance Faire for 4 weekends and I'm looking for nearby camping. I do have 4 days between each show to travel around TX. Anyone know places nearby that are worth seeing? I would drive up to 8 hours to find something for 4 days.

Lake Bob Sandlin State Park is very near Mount Pleasant.  There are several state parks nearby, but as mentioned, along with the camping fees add in daily entrance fees.  Some state parks offer weekly rates but I'm not seeing it for Bob Sandlin.  Also, check http://tpwd.texas.gov/ to see if the Texas State Parks Pass would be beneficial to you.  Aside from free entry, it gives two (I think) nights of camping for half price.  And yes, when you get to West Texas, Balmorrhea State Park is worth the stop, but if you have dogs, bypass Monahans Sandhills State Park.  I'm still finding sand.  Big Bend National Park should not be missed on your way west.

From Mount Pleasant you are a few minutes' drive from Roadside America listed attractions in Pittsburg, Texas--Ezekiel Flying Machine and the giant head of Bo Pilgrim (Pilgrim's Pride chicken). While you're there, check out Witness Park's beautiful stained glass.  Miranda Lambert's Pink Pistol boutique and Red 55 winery are at Lindale, TX, sixty miles south of Mount Pleasant.  Canton, TX with its massive flea market is maybe an hour and a half.

You are two hours from Murfreesboro, AR and Crater of Diamonds State park where whatever diamonds you find are yours to keep.  After finding your diamonds, an hour's drive will put you in Hot Springs, AR where you can soak your sore muscles in the bathhouses. You can camp at Hot Springs National Park within walking distance of downtown and the baths.

Two hours (if you're lucky with the traffic) will put you in Dallas where four days will not suffice to see and do all that the DFW area has to offer.  I would suggest parking your rig at one of the Park and Rides and hopping the train to downtown Dallas.  You can also switch trains and ride over to Fort Worth. 

From Mount Pleasant, four hours will have you on the Texas or Louisiana Gulf coast.  This is just the tip of the iceberg; there's too much to mention.  September in Texas is hot--stay cool.

Texas is hot--stay cool.

Thank you so much for all the info. I'll mark those down. especially the roadside attractions. I plan to see the Largest Fire Hydrant (Beaumont TX my hometown) and of course The Cadillac Ranch.

Lisa Truck Gypsy said:
Need help finding places to camp as I am going through Texas. Campgrounds, state parks, safe boondocking...whatever your experiences have been

After a disappointing stop in Balmorhea (I could write a page), I headed up I 20 to Sweetwater.  This little campground is AWESOME.  It has about 10 rv spots and some real nice looking tent spots among the trees.  Plus, this has to be one of the friendliest towns I've been in. I was just planning to stop for a couple of days to do some cleaning and re-stocking, but decided to put up my full set-up and stay a while.

Attachments

• 2017-03-27 18.03.15.jpg
    2017-03-27 18.03.15.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27