Campervan or Slide in truck camper..for better mpg

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
I'm curious to if anyone knows which gets the best gas mileage.  Would a campervan like a dodge or chevy conversion camper get more milage than say a pick up truck with a slide in camper?  I think the answer depends on a lot of different variables but maybe someone knows a ballpark range...thanks

i don't know about mpg but from what I see, a camper van is more affordable than a truck and slide in. Those slide ins are stupid expensive.

John

I would say that the aerodynamics of the van would give it a edge. Picking the correct pickup and that would be a real chore, but
a 1996-98 Dodge diesel 5 speed transmission and a pop up slide in might just beat a Class B van with roof racks and A/C. The Dodge
truck would offer one serious advantage in that many have 4x4.

Good ? and good luck in your search.

I would guess that a pick-up w/camper could be the winner because most "camper conversions" have serious gas-sucking v8's, while a (for example) Toyota Tacoma v6 would be plenty for the lightweight slide-ins.  This was for sale locally, I considered going for a look-see but its been a busy weekend... http://keys.craigslist.org/rvs/5495897125.html

CAMPER FOR SALE in Key West!!!! - $1900 (Key West)

00B0B_ajdIL8xwYDb_600x450.jpg

The camper for sale is for a full size and weights a ton dry.

And the floor under the front OH bed is rotten.

Did you take notice of the separation forming along the bottom?

Also take notice where the jacks sit and the wood frame is junk.

Thanks. I'm trying to weight the pros and cons. I really like how the truck camper thing can be detached like a trailer, yet you don't have to tow it. However, of course the van is going to be more stealth, and you can access the wheel without having to get out, in case of an emergency. But I see the little window on that pic of the slide in, so i guess you could shimmy through to the drivers seat if need be. Decisions.

waverider1987 said:
But I see the little window on that pic of the slide in, so i guess you could shimmy through to the drivers seat if need be.

lol...perhaps YOU could ;P

"Hello, this is 911, please state your emergency...?

"Uhh, yeah, this is a bit embarrassing...you see, I'm kinda stuck here..."

BradKW said:
lol...perhaps YOU could  ;P

"Hello, this is 911, please state your emergency...?

"Uhh, yeah, this is a bit embarrassing...you see, I'm kinda stuck here..."

:D

Are you sure about the V6? I have been researching this myself lately. A lot of the truck are very heavy, especially when loaded with water and propane, so that they far exceed the payload of an F150 (even a V8); some have suggested an F350 as an appropriate vehicle.

I guess you have to do the math. Especially since many people have said that most RV dealers lie and will always say "yes, your truck can tow this!" to make the sale.

I like the idea of getting much more headroom and more space (a Queen bed and a decent kitchen) on the parking footprint of a pickup. But I think the mileage would be way worse than a van. And even if you can use the kind of truck that has EPA ratings, the EPA mileage does not account for the aerodynamic load or the extra weight of carrying around a house on your truck!

ascii_man said:
Are you sure about the V6?  I have been researching this myself lately.  A lot of the truck are very heavy, especially when loaded with water and propane, so that they far exceed the payload of an F150 (even a V8); some have suggested an F350 as an appropriate vehicle.

Just depends on the camper you put in it...quick search shows even a 4cyl truck can do it...there's a camper option to fit about any requirements. Pic below is a 4cyl Tacoma:

full

I think a fair answer to your question is "generally, a truck camper will use far more fuel".

akrvbob said:
The obvious answer is that a slide-in camper is a real RV with tanks, shower and kitchen. A van (unless it's a class B) won't any any of that.

Pros camper:
1) Much more room and comfort
2) removability lets you leave camp behind
3) easy to get with a 4x4 pickup
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Pros Van:
1) you don't have to go outside to get in=safer
2) much better stealth
3) Much better mpg
4) cheaper
5) easier to take into the backcountry unless you need 4x4
6) more reliable; carrying all that weight around is hard on the truck

Bob

EPA ratings for pickups seem pretty close to those of vans, which makes sense since they usually have identical powertrains. But that's based on both vehicles empty: a truck will obviously need more fuel when it's hauling a big, heavy sail.

The other consideration is that a pickup gets you just a truck: you still have to buy the camper part separately: that's money which could be spent on fuel.

There is a lot to like about truck campers.