Camp Chef Oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandaidqueen

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in getting an oven for their van, I found the Camp Chef Camping Oven at costco.com for under 200 bucks: https://www.costco.com/Camp-Chef-Outdoor-Deluxe-Oven.product.100473905.html This is the Deluxe oven (Camp Chef makes three versions, basic, deluxe, and professional) which retails for $358.99 on the manufacturer's website.  I've read and heard nothing but good things about this oven so I'm very excited to add it to my van build! I'm not quite ready to build it in yet - I'm going very slowly with my build and still in the early stages - but things at Costco don't last very long so I figured I'd get one while it was still available. I haven't been able to find another deal that even comes close. (Amazon has it for $206.55 but it's the basic verson) Anyone have any experience with this oven? There's a good review of it here: https://www.parkedinparadise.com/portable-propane-oven/ I've only personally met one person who had it, and they absolutely loved it. Anyway just wanted to share the deal if anyone else is looking!

I have a lot of experience with it. I have had one since they first came out. but when I got mine there was only one version. in fact I didn't even know there was other versions. I did know they added a griddle but the oven was the same other than that.

I could give a less than stellar report as I have had lots of issues with mine and I have had problems with replacement parts that Camp Chef has sent me. I gave my review here many years ago. to say I have had a good experience is stretching it.

I have an old Camp Chef stove that I have had zero issues with. that thing is built like a tank and made in the USA, the oven is made in China and Camp Chef gave me a BS excuse why it was made in China. I have never gone from giving company a 100% thumbs up to a so so rating in such a short time.

yes I would buy it again, but I am a lot less than super impressed with it.

my 2 cents

highdesertranger

P.S. I made sure Camp Chef was well aware of my disappointment, if you know what I mean.

highdesertranger said:
P.S.  I made sure Camp Chef was well aware of my disappointment,  if you know what I mean.

LOL HDR I'm sure you did!!! I'm purchasing it from Costco so easy return if I don't like it, and it has one year warranty if there's problems. Course after a year, guess I'm stuck. Hope they have fixed the issues since you bought yours. It IS still made in China though.

yeah my issues didn't show up for a few years the first time and many years the second time.

as a side note I use a Dutch Oven most of the time. but when the burn bans are in effect you can't use them. also the Camp Chef is real handy for reheating or keeping something warm while the rest of the meal is cooking.

highdesertranger

I have a Camp Chef Oven. I like my biscuits and gravy, pizza and fresh made cookies etc. The oven works, however I had issues with burning the bottom of my baked items on one side of the oven. I had to rotate the baking sheet half way through the process. I found others had the same issue. Several mentioned getting the pizza stone made for that oven. Place the pizza stone on the bottom rack and it evens out the heat in theory and also retains heat in the oven when checking your baked goods or other items. Ordered one but haven't tried it yet. It will get a good workout this winter though.

i looked at these but was turned off by the oven controls. best i can tell is they are not thermostatically controlled? i ended up buying a used RV oven/range for about $150 i bake bread, cookies n crackers, roasts, slow cook like a crock pot, cheese cake with the help of a diy bain-marie. i use it with just the pilot to dehydrate stuff and make yogurt. or to dry out shoes and even kept my laptop warm over night in real cold weather when the battery was on the way out. a nice lil 80 degree cubby hole with the pilot

We installed and use the Camp Chef oven in our teardrop. We've used it regularly in 3 season camping (East coast) since 2012.

We carry a spare regulator for it as they can freeze up once in a while (twice since 2012) and require a disassembly and cleaning.

On the stovetop and in the oven we use Flame Tamers from Camp Chef. They work quite well for evenly heating during cooking. We've baked pies, cakes, cookies, roasted small turkeys, etc. It's a great little oven and has suited our needs well

72b2b2999a01cb8379f6342d4ec02d9b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
f8e6ac3ca4d2ccc376dddc7bdd0c8973.jpg

This is an un-clickable picture of the side of a cabinet or drawer, on my browser (Google Chrome).

Another option is to purchase the aluminum insulated baking pans and cookie sheets. They are made with two layers of aluminum with an air gap between them. They are excellent for preventing burnt bottoms and sides on baked goods.

Another option to help prevent burnt bottoms are silicone baking pans. They are nice for travel as they don't slide around don't make any noise in a cabinet if you stack them up.

Dingfelder said:
This is an un-clickable picture of the side of a cabinet or drawer, on my browser (Google Chrome).
Just long press and select open image in new tab.
Pretty groovy drawer for the stove.