Cabin / Interior heights

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would you say generally speaking that a 24" high top on a ford E-series will leave someone 5'11" enough room to stand? I don't want to get a 34" because there are a lot of low overpasses in new york, and I think the smaller the van can be, the better, but I do want to be able to stand. If I have to get a 30 or 34 I will. (I'm also worried about wind resistance or flipping over due to gusts) 

I've seen lots of conflicting info on this, so I'm starting my own thread. If anyone has any links with concrete numbers I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I  have the 24" high top on my GMC Savana.

The finished interior height is 6'2" after I finished the ceiling and the floor in the center.

The floor is 3/4'" plywood plus the depth of vinyl laminate so app. 1" total. The ceiling is somewhat vaulted because I glued 1x2 strips of wood (3/4" thick) to the fiberglass high top and then added Luan panels that are covered with 1/8" closed cell foam sheeting and marine vinyl. Overall I lost just under 2" from metal floor to the raw fiberglass.

The floor to ceiling height in an E-Series will vary depending on the year of the van but only by an inch or two.

Wind resistance is one thing, roll-over is another. Yes, there is wind resistance with the high top but not extremely different from a regular van height. By the time you've got a cross wind on the van the broad side of the van is not increased greatly by the high top.

Roll-over depends on the center of gravity. Yes, it's higher in a van than in a car but as long as you've got most of the weight at the floor level, adding the high top does nothing to move the center of gravity. Now, if you put 600 lbs of batteries up high in the high top, THEN you're moving the center of gravity upwards.

The history of roll overs in vans (and the fear) stems from incidences of extended length 15 passenger vans being used to transport adults and other heavy loads. The suspension system becomes overloaded, particularly in the rear, thereby lifting the front end and making it unstable. You're not likely to be adding the weight of 15 adult passengers (probably in excess of 3,000 lbs and even if you do it's going to be on the floor level not up at seating height.

BTW, my Savana with the 24" high top and a Camco roof vent cover tops out at about 10' 6"...not a problem on all but the lowest of bridges. And of course, drive-throughs... :D

Thanks so much for that detailed reply! 

unfortunately long island has several bridges on parkways that are as low as 7'6"!!!

I'm going to have to rethink some of my routes.

A bit of historical NY trivia

Robert Moses designed those low bridges to keep the city's poor blacks and Puerto Ricans Moses from heading out onto Long Island on their days off.

John61CT said:
A bit of historical NY trivia

Robert Moses designed those low bridges to keep the city's poor blacks and Puerto Ricans Moses from heading out onto Long Island on their days off.

how would low bridges have any effect on that?

Puerto Ricans Moses...huh?

And can you explain how the low bridges would keep anyone out? Would they all be driving big trucks??

Only private cars, not public transport (buses).

Check out Robert Caro’s book The Power Broker

Robert Moses was the most powerful man in New York, basically an unelected emperor for over forty years.

A very enlightening study of political power and its inherent corruption.

Wrote a great bio of LBJ as well.

ok, let's keep it on topic any more off topic posts will be deleted. highdesertranger

Latest posts