CA to NC One-way RV Rental

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldwolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decided to re-posted this thread to the RV section because it will be seen by people more familiar with the RV world than I am.

Didn’t see this coming. My son and young family (two little ones) live in the SFO California area and have decided to try moving back to NC during the time of Covid. DIL has been instructed to work at home until the end of the year. My son also is on work at home orders. Childcare is shut down in their area for who knows how long. Luckily, they can continue working using technology. Aircraft transportation is out of the equation due to exposure risks so they are considering renting a small RV to make the journey.

Does anyone have ideas how to go about renting a one-way RV and how to find open stops for rest/sleep during this time? I really appreciate your comments and advice.

Just park and sleep. Or try to anyway. Usually they are pretty noisy.

Oldwolf said:
These are good ideas and we will begin researching them. Is registration required at truck stops, or do you just park and sleep?

No registration needed. But it's a good idea to ask where they prefer that RVs park. It's not proper etiquette to annoy a semi driver!

Also, many truck stops offer showers and laundry services. Ask. I'm pretty sure that two people can usually share a shower room. 

Several big box chains will allow RVers to spend the night. It's complicated, so ALWAYS ask at the individual store. Or you run the risk of being kicked out by a security guard. Ones I know about, besides WalMart, are Cracker Barrel, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops. 

You may be able to spend the night at highway rest stops, too. It will vary with the state, google something like "California law about highway rest areas" to find out.

jacqueg - I think I have been missing something, everytime I pay for a shower at a truck stop I have showered alone. does haveing someone else shower with you cost more? With my luck I would get a 300 pound ugly trucker with a long stragily beard. Not my type and I would not know if I was seeing the trucker or looking in the mirror.:) Wait a minute, I think I heard you could find someone to shower with at a truck stop but my Mom warned me about those kind of girls.

nature lover said:
jacqueg - I think I have been missing something, everytime I pay for a shower at a truck stop I have showered alone.  does haveing someone else shower with you cost more?  With my luck I would get a 300 pound ugly trucker with a long stragily beard.  Not my type and I would not know if I was seeing the trucker or looking in the mirror.:)  Wait a minute, I think I heard you could find someone to shower with at a truck stop but my Mom warned me about those kind of girls.

Um, I suppose you could pick a stranger to share your shower with, but I've never done it, so you're on your own!

There are a fair number of couples operating their own rigs. I imagine those couples are the ones making use of the two-sharing-a-shower routine. Although I bet no one asks to see their marriage licenses...

I rented a Roadtrek a few years ago to take my then 8 year old granddaughter on a "camping" trip.  The problem I had was finding something that would accommodate a car safety seat for her.  Front seat out of the question.  Most Class C's other seating was side facing, no shoulder harnesses, not safe in the event of an unfortunate event.

It cost $250/day base price to rent, round trip.  One day to load, one day to unload.  That was two extra days that didn't include traveling.  CA to NC?  Five days of driving?  Add it up, and gas mileage will not be good.

With two small children, a cross country trip won't be easy no matter how you do it.  We stayed in RV parks with swimming pools, playgrounds, showers etc.  Cable TV and wifi.  It gave us something to do after a day spent driving and being belted in and cooped up.  I don't know what it would be like herding two little ones around a truck stop after a long day of that.