CA Student Shower Access Bill

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"This bill would require a community college campus that has shower facilities for student use to grant access, as specified, to those facilities to any homeless student who is enrolled in coursework, has paid enrollment fees, and is in good standing with the community college district, and would require the community college to determine a plan of action to implement this requirement. By imposing additional duties on community college districts, the bill would impose a state-mandated local program.
The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement.
This bill would provide that, if the Commission on State Mandates determines that the bill contains costs mandated by the state, reimbursement for those costs shall be made pursuant to these statutory provisions."

There's always a cost!

So to get access to these showers, you have to be a paid up, 'homeless student' in good standing....

This would be great if the campus would allow 'homeless' students to live in vans, rv's, etc. in their parking lots.....
otherwise I don't see much relevance.

Wouldn't all students (homeless or not) already have the ability to use the showers in the gym area of the college?
Seems like this bill is just so some lawmakers can say "look how we're helping homeless students". But they're not really doing anything.

that is a good point KASibson. that's how it was when I was in college. if you were enrolled you could use the showers, you could also use their athletic facilities just as long as a class wasn't going on or practice for a sport. highdesertranger

that ^ was not my experience, but that was a long time ago. I think dinos had only been extinct for a few years. highdesertranger