Buying My First RV - Yikes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased a used Toy Hauler..... I have been looking for several months and decided to pull the trigger and get this one.... the seller said he would deliver it to my location because I did not have a 5th wheel in my tow vehicle at this time. I was waiting for the seller to meet up with me and feeling a little anxiety since this would be the biggest camper I had towed.. so I did a lot of research and finally found what I wanted....

sometimes you just have to go for it... and learn as you go...

Believe it or not you are in a good area to find an RV. The Bay Area is a large market and you’re not too far from other markets. The reason you’re having trouble finding much is because of the brands you have chosen. Good brands, not a lot of inventory.

When I was looking, I was living in the Sacramento area. I looked at listings from Redding to Fresno and everything in between. It’s a large area with lots of RV’s. This is a good time of year to get the best price too. I bought in January.

My research had me looking at Class C’s first too, then I switched to the Bounder, a Class A because it had basement storage and was the pioneer of basement storage so any year would have it. As I looked there were certain amenities I wanted to be able to have, like windows awnings, the Banks power system, a pantry, a certain layout, etc. The longer I looked the longer the rig got. I originally was looking for something about 28 feet. I got 33.

As I looked I found other brands could be possibilities as well. I found out that Fleetwood also made the Pace Arrow, which was kinda like the Cadillac of their offerings, and had basement storage. I found my current RV, a 93 Pace Arrow, in Soledad for a screaming deal. I had to put tires on it, new springs, new air bags, and the master cylinder was going out. I knew part of that, which is why I got the deal I did.

Since living in it for the last 3 years I have found if I were to travel, I would want something different. For the way I’m using it, it’s awesome, but I’m parked on family property in the country. 33 feet is drivable enough, but not for touring, and limited in where you can go. If you’re going to National forests, there is usually a 25 foot cap on length if you want to stay in a camp site. I would look at 24-26 foot Class C if I were to get on the road, at least that’s what I think right now.

So what’s my point? I don’t really have one, just some thoughts.

There is more opportunity around you then you think.
Get out of the Bay Area ASAP. I don’t like driving a car around there let alone an RV of any length.
Whatever you think you need now will change after you have gained experience.
Gaining that experience will be a bitch at times.

I grew up camping in a travel trailer and my parents lived in an RV for several years after retiring. I thought I was comfortable with RV’s, until I was the one that had to do it all.

You can’t be prepared for everything, just prepare to stick it out come what may. It does get easier.

Hi mpruet, I like your suggestion of taking the route to become a minimalists: Slow and Seriously.
I agree with you that it is a serious, planned out thought. It is NOT for all. I was raised in America with a middle class family. We had many amenities and an overwhelming ease and comfort of living. I decided to live a minimalist life at 24, after college. It's a HUGE jump to decide to RV & go nomadic. I lived as a minimalist for 17 yrs. It was when I was younger, pre-digital days, less support from society's taboos(I'm female). For example: stigmas and stereotype of a minimalist was that you are a social reject, living on the fringes of society(not contributing to society with taxes ect) or homeless by fault or even mentally ill. Fast forward to the 21st cent. and youtube is overflowing with positiveness and the "ease" of rving. And it is, I suppose, when one CHOOSES the lifestyle. For those who are forced to downside and live out of their car/van, they have their own unique stories. I admire them all.
After I lived as a minimalist for 17 yrs, I returned to living in spacious apartments, condos and now, renting a house. I'm 60 yrs old now. I dont feel comfortable with all this space of a house. I also am NOT a materialistic person. This is helping me decide to RV or not to RV. I have been spoiled by:
Water, Space, Time being alone or time being with my core group of family and friends.

I realize the mental decision to break away from what is comfortable, convenient, and consistent.
Going from HAVING to HAVING NOT is a HUGE jump. I personally believe anyone can do it if they are honest with themselves and honest to want to change habits of consumption to habits of contentment with what you NEED.
Wish me luck in my transition from consumption to minimalisim...AGAIN!
Cheers!

rm.w/aview said:
Rainy... I've read your original post in this thread a number of times, along with the responses thus far (good points all), and after 2 years of considering this it may be fair to say that you have enough information to make your move. https://rv.org/ is a website you may have seen, and could be helpful in your quest. Many times folks learn with their first RV and may actually have two, three, or four before they have their keeper, or at least one that checks the most boxes for them, and at that particular time in their life. I encourage you to move ahead with this. You've thought about it, researched it, analyzed it, and have narrowed your choice to what you have mentioned. Be honest with yourself and your plans, know the rigs capacities, simplify your wardrobe and your life, and by all means Run Rainy Run.

I just found this website and I think it's wonderful. My husband just turned 66 yesterday and with the downsizing of his company and the reduction in hours and pay, we have decided to start our new journey sometime this year. My parents sold everything they had and lived in an RV for 9 years. They had all different kinds so I'm kind of familiar with which is which. We've been speaking to a lot of our friends about this and they have been very helpful, but this has added to that information. We're planning on staying in one place a few months at a time possibly working in the campground and getting free rent. My kids will be back in the states in April so a lot of my stuff will be given to them. We plan on selling or giving away everything. That's the hard part. We are very excited but very nervous at the same time. Looking forward to seeing all the posts and maybe getting some help from everybody out there. I'm going to show this site to my husband; I think he'll like it.  :)

I'd reconsider shopping for an RV in California, especially the bay area.  There are much cheaper areas to shop for an RV ...