buying a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylphykat

Reaction score
Looking for feedback about turning a Conversion Van into a Camper Van..  :-/

There are 2 types of conversion vans that I am aware of. The ones with a "TV" top are generally considered to be travel vans that you could sleep in and have minimal camping amenities as is. Then there are the camper vans that generally have a kitchen and a bathroom of sorts.

I'm curious what a "TV" top is as I've never heard that term here in the Northeast

First time I have seen "TV top".

Something about the top that looks like a TV screen, such as a narrow height, wide window?

My Class C with an over the cab loft with front facing tinted windows might have a widescreen "TV" look.

"TV" top is the classic car-dealer conversion van.....The fiberglass roof is molded Higher in the center....sloping to the edges....often a flat area at the rear.................

The Television was mounted in the high spot so everyone in the back could see

tough to add solar panels

Hope you don't mind that I moved your thread out of the women's only forum and into the van forum.

This is a thread about vans, not about about women in particular.

Welcome to the CRVL forums! Just noticed you skipped an introduction in the newcomers corner.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

B and C said:
There are 2 types of conversion vans that I am aware of. The ones with a "TV" top are generally considered to be travel vans that you could sleep in and have minimal camping amenities as is. Then there are the camper vans that generally have a kitchen and a bathroom of sorts.

abnorm said:
"TV" top is the classic car-dealer conversion van.....The fiberglass roof is molded Higher in the center....sloping to the edges....often a flat area at the rear.................

The Television was mounted in the high spot so everyone in the back could see

tough to add solar panels

Many thanks, that cleared a few things up!

So sylphycat, let us know which kind of van you have - or are looking at!

I've been browsing ads for used vans. I've been in touch with the owners of two vans listed for sale. They are both in a town an hour away and I may go see them next week. Both are "conversion vans" of the passenger-amenities type, vs. the RV-camping-gear type. I would love to hear from anyone who has owned the type of conversion van I'm looking at. I appreciate the comment above about the shape of the tops not being good for mounting solar panels. I hadn't focused on that.

My thoughts right now are that if I'm going to get another vehicle for road trips and camping, I want to be able to stand up in it. My minivan is tricked out pretty well for camping, but a week long trip last month showed up its deficits. Mainly, I need more room. Option 1 is to get a rooftop carrier box so everything isn't jammed into the back of the vehicle when I'm on the road. Option 2 is a larger vehicle. Option 1 is kind of spendy when the monetary value of my old minivan is considered but is a small percentage of what a new vehicle would cost, so there's that. :)