Butane gas storage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
I will be traveling throughout Wyoming next week and the forecast is for the highs to be in the low 80s.  My concern is if I decide to leave the van for a couple of hours to go on a hike.  There are warnings that the butane canisters should not be stored in unvented automoblies due to the high tempatures they can reach, or any place the tempatures could reach 120+.  What options are there?  Can I store them in my ice chest while I am gone for long periods of times 3-6 hours?

Wish I had a good answer.  I've been trying to get entirely away from butane or propane because of extreme heat.  I used to carry ours in a cooler in the shade.  Never had a problem at the temperatures you describe--but I don't want to, either.  I have had a few relief valve failures with the green propane bottles outside, which has made me quite nervous about the possibility of that happening in the van.  (For reference, today it was 110 in the van around noon, with windows cracked, Reflectix covers and insulated drapes in place, and a reflective tarp on the roof.   Ambient is around 100.  It does get hotter at times.)

I am actually planning to break down and carry one small propane bottle on my next excursion because I will be in a windy area where charcoal is not allowed part of the time, with iffy sun (for solar cooking).  I have toyed with the idea of constructing a mini propane locker, vented to the outside, but haven't explored that fully yet.

I have a butane camp stove & was wondering also about storage ....i have read that to store in a cool dry place....but where is it cool in a hot car ????    Lithium batteries are also a risk.   :s    Maybe i should just go vegan ???

As long as you protect the butane cans from the moisture they will be fine in a cooler. You could keep them outside the van in a lock box.

Just to clarify:  when I kept canisters in a cooler, there was nothing else in there.  I found a six-pack cooler to be the perfect size for the cans.  It offered a little protection and kept them from rolling around.

I've been through a couple of summers with 100+ temperatures and several cans of butane. Some were in a cupboard, some in a bin under the bed. In either case they were in the shade. That seems to be "cool" enough.

The only troubles I've had with butane were finding it and the fact it doesn't like to work when it's cold, because the pressure in the can drops too low. That's when I switch to propane on my dual-fuel stove. And my propane — whether bulk tanks and small bottles — have always been stored inside the van without problems.

Ok...thanks everyone....i've never owned a camp stove & butane cans before...i just don't wanna make any mistakes...i am normally a very cautious & careful person with other things....as long as i already purchased the cans & stove i might as well use it ...i will be very careful ...the six pack cooler sounds like a good way to store them...thanks VanFan..

Yesterday i practiced loading & lighting it.....so far so good ...maybe i should practice cooking on it next......

It is pretty logical for where the coolest temp will be. Down close to the floor and out of direct sun. Under the bed will have extra insulation from the heat. Of course up near the roof will be the worst place for heat in summer.

I store my water in 1.5 litre bottles all over the car, wherever I can fit them. Two of the places are under the seats. Even on the hottest days, a bottle of water pulled out from under the seat is always cooler than from anywhere else. I now keep my little green propane bottles down there too. Another place to think about if nobody is looking is under the car.

MG

correct me if I am wrong but isn't it illegal to carry propane tanks inside the vehicle?
Not sure where I read it exactly. But I recall a comment on some van life forum where a person was getting one of those Aluminess type swingout spare carrier things that mounts on the back doors just for that. So he could carry his propane tank externally.
I remember there was some chatter about it being legal in the trunk of a regular car but not in the rear of a van. As if the rear passenger sear is made of explosion proof ballistic material.
I wonder if there is a cutoff for size of bottle. Like is this just for the big blue rhino tanks, but not the little green bottles?
As far as butane, I've avoided buying those cartridge stoves that use big ole hairspray looking cans. Anyone use those? They are cheap at the 99 cent stores around here. But I wonder on the availability of the butane bottles.

ps.anything but the white fuel thumb breaker stoves.

Calaverasgrande said:
correct me if I am wrong but isn't it illegal to carry propane tanks inside the vehicle?...

So cops are stationed outside every propane refill place checking to make sure no one preparing for a barbecue tries to transport a tank inside a vehicle?

Well Cal... I think your talking the bigger refillable bottles. I think this was a great question to consider with some very insightful thoughts. In most cases I think you’d be ok. I’d be more concerned if your leaving it in an unoccupied car for days. Meaning a car where it’s likely it’s not going to be opened or ventilated during any period of time. The under the seat theory is a good one. But test that out too. Sometimes it might not be as cool if your operating your vehicle and there is an exhaust pipe directly underneath. The “water bottle test” sounds like a good method to try!

More and most important. Make sure that all fuel cylinders are turned off and / or REMOVED from the appliance. A few years ago in Downtown Vancouver a plumber left his gear in the trunk of his car, like he always did. It seems likely that there was a tiny acetylene leak somewhere in the system.

The next morning as he walked toward his car he pressed the remote button to unlock the doors. He ended up on the ground. Parts were found blocks away and 12 floors up. Seven AM. No serious injuries.

Not to instill fear, just a reminder of caution. Acetylene is more volatile than propane but make sure it is turned off or removed anyway.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/times-colonist/20130523/281629597801019

MG

MGfromBC said:
More and most important.  Make sure that all fuel cylinders are turned off and / or REMOVED from the appliance.

Yes. Appliances and the connections to them are FAR more likely to malfunction than the tank shutoff valve or even the simple check valve in small bottles.

MrNoodly said:
So cops are stationed outside every propane refill place checking to make sure no one preparing for a barbecue tries to transport a tank inside a vehicle?
Haha, I doubt that.
I think maybe it's a regional thing?
And like a lot of things vehicle and police related, it might stick once they start nosing around your vehicle.
I am always trying to be observant of vehicle safety regs both to be legal on the road. And sometimes there is a reason behind them.
(like fuel tanks blowing up in hot cars)

Calaverasgrande said:
...once they start nosing around your vehicle...

It's always best not to do anything to attract law enforcement attention.

Gypsy:  Hope I didn't "fuel" unneeded anxiety here.  I actually found the butane stove to be very nice to use (except in the cold at higher altitudes, as Mr. Noodly mentioned).  Hope you enjoy yours!

Latest posts