Burning Man sues BLM

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
" but I suspect you are overstating both the damage and the lack of responsibility."

go to utube and look them up. I tend to agree with Q.

highdesertranger

If q wants to make an assertion he should back it up.

I’m not a hippie, but generally they were right. And our oil funded partisan puppet show is so very, very wrong.

Yeah I've posted this on other threads but not linked here. 13,000 people, trenches used for poop, no permits when required for groups over 75, cost to the FS and local authorities in the 100s of thousands of dollars. That sort of thing. Unfortunately there is a difference between the old hippie dream and reality on the ground.

One link of many to be found ....
https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-rainbow-gathering-bliss-forest-service-headache/

It’s not my thing either, but it is legal. There were two impacts documented, arrests and pit toilets.

The arrests are in range for a fully legal festival like they have in my current community. Trench toilets work, even if they are a bit unusual. The group takes restoration a lot more serious than most corporate users of public land.

“ The Rainbow Family does have a good reputation for packing out trash and helping repair the site once the crowds leave. Hundreds of campers stay behind to rehabilitate meadows and plant new vegetation. Some even return to the site the next year, to check for any lasting impacts. ”

There are law enforcement costs, but if they spent a bit less money on harassment, including of us, they might even get ahead of the game.

The fact that so many have no other real options to live with value is my biggest take away. In the 30’s they created work camps that put people to work, fed them healthy food, and greatly improved our public lands.

Instead of bashing these folks we should realize our common interests, no matter how small, and work to build those work camp opportunities ourselves.

Qxxx said:
Massive transfers of wealth to the rich, starting about 40 years ago.
Longer than that. Think of the Mayflower. The colonists were shareholders in a chartered profit seeking venture, with a land grant from the King to populated lands in the "New" world. Not the oppressed Puritans seeking freedom of worship as told in American mythistory.

highdesertranger said:
did you even read what I posted.  blind hate was never mentioned.

of course the system favors the rich.  the more regulations that are in place the more it favors large multinational corporations.  you need to hire all those lawyer's so they can navigate though all the laws and regulations,  that ain't cheap.  pretty much cuts out any small time operator. 

highdesertranger

This is what will happen when marijuana is decriminalized at the Federal level. The FDA will step in to regulate growers and the strains of seeds used. Bayer(Monsanto) already has 38 patented strains. Large corporations, aka BigPharma and BigAg, will have no problem navigating the Federal bureaucracy with their lobbyists, money, and lawyers. The smaller, local growers will be shut down, becoming the equivalent of moonshiners if they persist.

Federal laws/regulations have little do with what the People want/need or don't want/need.

Qxxx said:
Well, let's face it. Big Ranching, Big Oil, Big Timber, and Big Mining are getting away with total murder when it comes to the trivial fees they pay to use public lands. It pays to have Big Money to buy Big Lobbyists. Everything in this country is weighted in favor of the Rich. I'm surprised the Head on the Statue of Liberty hasn't exploded by now.

Not hardly ....
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jbcAAOSwPhdVQQJz/s-l300.jpg
LOL You are really misinformed or just blinded by your hatred if you think all the ranchers that deal with the BLM are BIG and RICH. As a fourth generation rancher here in Arizona whose family had worked with the BLM for years I can truthfully say we are neither big nor rich.  

"if you think all the ranchers"

Yeah, first off, I'm used to being wrong. Secondly, I'm not blinded by hatred. HDR already made that mistake.

Thirdly, I did mention a lot of Big Whatsits, I didn't say everyone was a Big Whatsit, and I did agree with HDR that Big Whatsits do seem to be running small operations out of business. There have been accounts about this for many years, especially in farming in the midwest.

https://civileats.com/2018/09/10/is-the-second-farm-crisis-upon-us/
“Agriculture is sort of like the rest of the U.S. economy in terms of income and asset inequality—except more so,” he explains. With the focus on production and no safety net, smaller farms have sold out and relatively few big farms have expanded. In 2015, about 65,300 farms making over $1 million in gross income accounted for 51 percent of the value of all U.S. agricultural production. At the other end, the nearly 1 million farms making under $10,000 accounted for just 1 percent of production. As farms have consolidated and turned to technology to replace human labor, jobs have dried up, rural communities have shrunk, and isolation has grown".

HDR said,
"of course the system favors the rich. the more regulations that are in place the more it favors large multinational corporations. you need to hire all those lawyer's so they can navigate though all the laws and regulations, that ain't cheap. pretty much cuts out any small time operator".

In any case, welcome to the forum.

DLTooley said:
Trench toilets work, even if they are a bit unusual.  
Yeah, I estimate 13,000 people pooping twice a day for a week accumulates upwards to 136,000 pounds for the trenches. Glad I didn't camp there the next week.

wayne49 said:
Longer than that. Think of the Mayflower. The colonists were shareholders in a chartered profit seeking venture, with a land grant from the King to populated lands in the "New" world. Not the oppressed Puritans seeking freedom of worship as told in American mythistory.
Yeah, but the 1980s is when the inequality problem really shifted into high gear, and the middle class bore the brunt of it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/320859.America

ok I am tempted to close this thread. it has become border line political and has nothing to do with living on the road. yes I realize I help contribute to it. so I am going to be a big meanie and close it. highdesertranger

Status
Not open for further replies.