Built in DVD player Change to house battery?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckyls31

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Honda Odessey van it has a built in DVD player. So when I’m sitting still for days can I use it without a problem? I’m thinking not so can the wiring be changed so it draws off the house battery? If so how does that work?

The electrics is NBD, but the physical mounting bits can be tricky if you can't get to the wiring from the fusebox or under the dash.

Maybe get a local kid does stereo stuff, should be the same labor cost as doing an install or less if you have the wiring from the House bank ready to go.

Of course you'll need to always remember to shut it off after every drive, that won't be automatic anymore.

House bank shut-off switches can help, maybe one for non-essentials (all but alarms, safety stuff) another as a total isolation shutoff.

According to this video ( )  and this wiring list ( http://my.prostreetonline.com/2015/12/28/how-to-honda-odyssey-stereo-wiring-diagram/ - go down to 2011-2016+ Honda Odyssey Stereo Wiring Diagram )
it seems like it indeed possible to power the dvd/radio in a 2012 Honda Odessey van, from the house battery.

Now how to specifically re-wire the power stereo, I am not quite sure. But is it very likely that you just need to change the Violet wire (Car Radio Accessory Switched 12V+ Wire: Violet) to be connected to the house battery. 

But like John61CT mentions, it will be very wise to have a way to turn off the power from the house battery, for when you do not use the dvd/radio. As it is not a good idea to allow the dvd/radio to draw power 24/7, even from the house battery.

Well, if my thought of just needing to change the violet wire is correct, then here is an illustration of how I would expect it to be possible to wire the house battery to the radio, so it would be easy to switch between "normal Van power" (for when you are driving the Van) and "House battery power" (for longer parked situations).

radio wiring - switche 1 only.jpg

By selecting the position "normal Van power" it also switches off the house battery.

The way to install is, to cut the violet wire, and insert the switch where the violet wire was cut.

Attachments

• radio wiring - switche 1 only.jpg
    radio wiring - switche 1 only.jpg
    58.2 KB
And here is an example of how to wire it using a relay and a much smaller switch (so the switch does not need to be able to handle the 10 amp). 

radio wiring - relay.jpg

Attachments

• radio wiring - relay.jpg
    radio wiring - relay.jpg
    77 KB
There is no need to be able to easily switch anything between the two banks,

unless your House bank is designed to be portable and removable, so that you will regularly be driving without it in the vehicle.

In which case I would wire a master high-amp A/B switch for **all** House loads to be switchable between House and Starter.

Or maybe a 1/2/B switch if you wanted the ability to self jump-start, but dangerous if you forget and leave it on Both.