Building Our Peterbilt Motorhome

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedhighway46

Reaction score
Several months ago there was a thread here on CRVL regarding converting semi-trucks for use as RVs. I responded to the thread and included a couple of pictures of our Peterbilt Motorhome conversion project. Several folks responded to my post wanting more pictures; one person even suggested that I build a website showing the entire project in detail using pictures. After giving it some thought, that's what I did! It took longer than I had expected, but it is finally done and ready for viewing by the folks here on CRVL.

I realize that our vehicle is outside of the "norms" of CRVL, being van dwelling and trailer conversions. However, I so enjoy CRVL with its friendly and open atmosphere, and have learned volumes about full-timing and boon docking. Even though our vehicle is a bit outside the intended audience of CRVL, it still feel very much a member of the "tribe!"

So for any of you who have a few extra minutes to view our website showing the conversion of our Peterbilt 379 road tractor into a motorhome, the site is ready and you are invited to check it out at your convenience. Obviously, it is VERY picture intensive. I hope you enjoy what you see! If you have any questions please leave them in the "Contact Us" section.

Hi,

Wow,  such a cool project and it came out awesome.  Having a CDL and coming from a cabinet making/construction background I can really appreciate this project on all levels.  I think the vehicle fits into this community just fine.  You took a vehicle and converted it just like most people on here,  you just happened to pick a really big vehicle!  Nice website as well,  a project of this size def needs and deserves its own website.  Hope to meet you on the road one of these days.  Enjoy your ride!
     I think I may have to put one of these builds on my bucket list for down the road.  I've always wanted to tour the country in a Semi, and can't think of a better way to do it than this.

Wow, that is something else, such beautiful work.

You put a lot of work into that truck and a lot of work into that website too. Thanks for sharing.

there is no "norms" around here

that is one of the nicest builds i have seen,a true forever home

nice job speed

+1 on the beautiful truck and great website.
Love that 'toolbox chic' interior.

That would make one badass hauler for a trailer with a vintage race car....would be an object of envy in the pits.

Great job!

Hi Speed nice work, great project, I really like it, Forty years ago my uncle mentioned that he would like to have the front of a semi to tour around in. I thought he was crazy, which he was, unfortunately he is no longer here but he would have loved this rig. I got a question, the front sleeper and the rear box don't meet do they? why have you not incorporated them? What do you use the front sleeper for, a separate spare bedroom? storage? shop? secret getaway? a place to hide from the wife? bar? poker room? bathroom? hot tub? sauna? a place to keep your girlfriend?

FK: thanks for your comments. The front bunk is not connected to the rear camper area; there is no walk through. Normally, when I use the Motorhome by myself, I sleep in the front and use the back area like a "day room" for meals and hanging out. Also, at night I am right in the cab and can leave in a hurry if needed. In the winter the smaller bunk area is more efficient to heat.

When my wife is with me we are normally in a campground with electric hookup, and we stay in the back; it has a double bed.

The tractor cab/bunk is on air suspension; the van box is mounted rigid to the frame rails. Although it has been done, connecting the two together is problematic.

Thanks for your interest. I enjoy reading your posts, also!

I can't wait to check it out...unfortunately, your popularity seems to be crashing the site...

www.peterbiltmotorhome.com is currently unable to handle this request.

Will check back laters :)

Bob: thanks and I know about posting pictures here, and have done it numerous times. My concern was that I was going to require so many pictures, and those folks with limited data plans, I thought it better to take it to its own site.

You and the moderators do a great job here and "we" all appreciate your hard work and dedication in providing us all a common meeting place to chat and discuss this type of lifestyle!

Now I want to upgrade our truck :s 

That is one nice motorhome you built!

Here is a quick breakdown of cost:

Initial purchase of tractor: $30,000
Frame mods; dropping front axle. 6,000
Box installation; rear bumper, etc. 12,000
Interior from finishing. 8,000
Misc stuff; electrical; plumbing. 4,000

Total. $60,000

Does not include regular maintenance; fuel; insurance; annual registration

That's much cheaper than I was expecting. How are maintenance/insurance/registration costs?

Insurance is $890 annually.

Routine maintenance (oil change; four filter changes; chassis lube; detailed physical inspection) done every 10,000 miles: $400.

Repairs are billed at shop rate which at most heavy truck places is $95-105/hr. My truck has been pretty undemanding in the repair category; never left me on the side of the road, yet! Every time I take the truck in for "regular" service I also do a "replacement" item. So far I have replaced the rear brake chambers and air lines; rear axle seals; changed the oil in the rear end and front wheel hubs; replaced the starting batteries; replaced all six tires at abt $400 each.

I have two big preventative maintenance items coming up. Replacing the transmission cooler and replacing the radiator; both are showing signs of near term failure and are leaking ever so slightly. Each will be around $1000.

Here's something to remember about these big trucks: they are built to last a long time (1.5 million miles before an overhaul); they are engineered to take a lot of hard use and abuse. But, when it's time to do some repair it can be expensive.

I have pretty much been through all my truck's systems and corrected everything which was sub-standard or worn out. Now it just a matter of staying up on things so there are no surprises.

This truck is being used so "lightly" now that it is going to outlast me by another generation!

Hope this helps.

I am so in love with your rig set up, great job!!!! Thank you for sharing.

Oh and I work for a towing company and of course all the guys love the Pete's so I was showing them your modifications yesterday because they all tease me about wanting to live in a van so I asked if this was ok.......yup. hahaha

i was thinking 3-4 times that for everything,quality work and frugal= extra nice