Building Carmon

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things are slow on this build be use it is around my son's schedule and me being 3 hours away from him. Unfortunately, we had postpone installing strong Maxxair fan due to another heat wave but he did get my subfloor cut (on a105 degree day). I'm using 3/4" plywood with nothing under it.

Also I starte painting the van interior with a primer specifically for defense against mold and rust. The product is Zinsser Bulls Eye 1 2 3. Anyone heard of this? Came recommend over Rustoleum by the paint dept rep at HD. He felt it to be more what I was looking for covering the combination of rust and mold. I plan on painting both sides of the plywood also.

Still have not ordered my panels or bought a battery (have another thread on those two things) so may hook it temporarily to starter battery which is a Kirkland brand and seems really strong. 
http://s347.photobucket.com/user/su...n/0710171109c_zpshaqfnw7s.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Can't believe this tiny phone changing what I write and i can't get edit to work. Sorry. I intended that to be pic not a link to a pic but its just a photo of the primer can.

I don't have any experience, but I also got something from Zinsser, which I've used this past weekend to paint the subfloor and the van floor with (see more here).

Earlier in the thread there was a discussion about generators...I'm just getting caught up....

My Westinghouse WH1000i will start and run a small 5000 BTU window air conditioner.

I've tested it and it does work, at least with the units that I have. 

This little Westinghouse genset is very quiet and about half the price of a comparable Honda or Yamaha.

Of course I have no way of knowing how long it would last doing that, but I've run it for about 20 minutes without any problems.

Dr Nelson, thanks for the link. I think we are on the right track. I am not even half done and have already used a half gallon of this primer.

Sturgis, thanks for your tip on the Westinghouse. One of my deterrents is the ability to lift a generator. Do you know the weight on yours?

Almost There said:
Mine aren't attached to the fiberglass. They form an independent roll cage that is welded to the frame of the van at all the attachment points  - 4 on mine because it's only needed in the center 6' where my original roof was removed. I have van frame elsewhere that does the same job. From the picture I can see 6 attachment points on Carmon because the entire rear roof was removed.

The other purpose they serve IMO is safety for me if a tree branch ever decided that it was time to fall. It might damage the fiberglass but it wouldn't take me out with it.

Removing them might also be an insurance issue in case of an accident. It would be kind of like removing seat belts IMO.

I know Almost, but I don't get why Millineum did this when I see vans like Dr Nelson's, one year older than Carmon, that don't have them. They irk me. What's the point of a hightop if anyone over 5' 4" can't stand up? My son refuses to take them out for the same safety reasons. As far as insurance issues, that probably gave the Handicap transport company, who owned it, a break. But I don't transport nor plan on using it commercially. Idk. just wish they weren't there and in fact had I known when looking at it to buy it would of been a deal breaker. I just thought it was wood behind the ceiling as its support that I could easily remove. Sigh.

There are different types of high tops that were designed for different reasons.

Yours is actually properly termed a 'tv top'!

The one you have was never meant for someone to stand up in. It was designed as a way of giving passengers in the rear seating sufficient headroom and to allow for the installation of fancy tv/dvd technology.

KatBalouE350 said:
Sturgis, thanks for your tip on the Westinghouse. One of my deterrents is the ability to lift a generator.  Do you know the weight on yours?

I just happen to be home and went out and weighed it...about 34 pounds full of gas and oil...

It's no lite weight!

IMG_20170711_201226.jpg

IMG_20170711_201250.jpg

If needed, maybe you could use one of those little fold-up carts to move it around...

Attachments

• IMG_20170711_201226.jpg
    IMG_20170711_201226.jpg
    45.3 KB
  • IMG_20170711_201250.jpg
    IMG_20170711_201250.jpg
    43.3 KB
I'm going to swim upstream on this and say yes, if it were my decision, I would remove those roll cage bars.

Yes, you might lose some protection in the event of a roll-over. Ever seen a convertible?  Um...no roll bars on those.

They really dont look that strong from the pictures, but it's hard to tell. They dont seem to be adding any support to the roof. You might want to leave the vertical stanchions in place and fabricate an attachment to the sides of the hightop.

There are probably tens of thousands of hightop vans without those bars and they seem to do ok.

You could even install some heavy custom roof bars on the top if you felt like you needed to strengthen the roof afterwards.

It is of course, a decision you will have to live with either way.

tx2sturgis said:
I just happen to be home and went out and weighed it...about 34 pounds full of gas and oil...

Sturgis, 34 lbs full is far better than some I've seen at 50 lbs empty. And i do own a foldup handcart! Thanks for checking that out for me.

Almost There said:
There are different types of high tops that were designed for different reasons.

Yours is actually properly termed a 'tv top'!

Thanks. Still, no matter if they were not intended to stand up in i wish my son would remove them.

^^Sturgis, that is my argument against them too. Perhaps if enough people agree here to remove them then my boy will do so.

BTW they are heavy steel and all attached points welded. They do not touch the hightop but run from wall to wall. The question is really are they needed and are they worth bending when under them?

Rolling Earthship removed a similar "cage", but left the sides:
[video=youtube]

I don't have a cage, but even without the cage, I cannot fully stand in my van (I am 5 ft 6)

Thanks Dr Nelson. This morning I emailed Fiberline regarding this rollbar and if I can remove it. I'm sure they have to word their answer so not to be liable but any indication it can even somewhat be safely done should appease my son. Waiting for their answer

KatBalouE350 said:
Thanks Dr Nelson. This morning I emailed Fiberline regarding this rollbar and if I can remove it. I'm sure they have to word their answer so not to be liable but any indication it can even somewhat be safely done should appease my son. Waiting for their answer

You're probably going to get a brief answer, no.

This will keep their lawyer happy.

(product liability and all that stuff)

But, we will see.

Brian, the reply came back addressing only why they were there and not the question asking if they thought it would be okay to remove them. I sent back another email asking again.

Btw, according to the first reply: depending on what state, handicap transport companies have to have roll bars.

Lets see what the next reply is.

Here is what I think. If the van is rolling over, you most likely will be sitting in the driver's seat or passenger seat. Those are actually pretty safe because you still have the 'original' roof and beam over you.

Also, you could get Roadmaster Active Suspension which seem to prevent Econolines from rolling over.
Watch this test video.

No, I don't have any real-life experience with Roadmaster Active Suspension.

Maxx Air fan installed!! Subfloor primered and and laid down, and LOOK....no more roll bars!!!! Next is getting rid of the air conditioner rear unit and reflectix laid out with air gap of course.
0716171239_zpsxwc5fsjm.jpg.html

Babe, the picture didnt work for me...

But I'm glad things are progressing...did you have to cut those pesky bars out yourself?