Building a cabin on a flatbed truck?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I might get by on the cheap for a while by building some of those stilt legs, then jacking up the whole back end of the truck, put the legs in, then lower the truck back down. I wouldn't be able to lower it once off the truck, but a floor jack would make quick work of putting it back on the truck for living in.

Or you could save a lot of work and get a box truck. Light, structurally sound.

MrNoodly said:
Or you could save a lot of work and get a box truck. Light, structurally sound.

I wanted to do that, but in my State, (Nevada), I couldn't find an insurance carrier. Commercial carriers wouldn't take me because I was not a business, and non commercial carriers said we don't insure commercial vehicles.

I am going to build one on a Harbor Freight trailer.  I am going to make it into a collapsible flatpack so it is like the ice shacks up north.  This will transport better but also give me something more stout against high winds in the desert.

Here's one that was at a campground I worked at in 2010
The guy was VERY proud of his work (well deserved) !

PSC-Kenworth Camper.JPG

Attachments

• PSC-Kenworth Camper.JPG
    PSC-Kenworth Camper.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
And another that goes with the OP topic..

or Not I ll try again

Take 2

Homebuilt-Truck-Camper.jpg

Attachments

• Homebuilt-Truck-Camper.jpg
    Homebuilt-Truck-Camper.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 10
Dakota Camper15.jpgDakota Camper16.jpg
Dakota Camper17.jpg

I think that I am getting closer to my final design. I am trying for lite strong, simple but still look good.

Attachments

• Dakota Camper15.jpg
    Dakota Camper15.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Dakota Camper16.jpg
    Dakota Camper16.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Dakota Camper17.jpg
    Dakota Camper17.jpg
    404.1 KB · Views: 4
I love this. I don't know why...

46efc9e4ab36b40ae624d366fb2b7dc4.jpg

Another option is to start with a class 8 road tractor; like an older Volvo or Freightliner. Gobs of capacity and will out last your grandkids!

I used a Peterbilt for mine.

speedhighway46 said:
Another option is to start with a class 8 road tractor; like an older Volvo or Freightliner. Gobs of capacity and will out last your grandkids!

I used a Peterbilt for mine.

Is there a way around the requirement to have a CDL, and all the trouble they come with?

Really? You can drive a >26000# thing with airbrakes and a jilliion-speed unsynchronized transmission, if only you register it as something else?

Makes me wonder why the SUV craze hasn't spilled over to some yahoos driving a Peterbilt with 30" rhinestone-encrusted spinners to the mall...

Come to Lake Powell and see 9 passenger limos and semi tractor pickups used to pull 36 foot cabin cruisers in style with not for hire motorhome tags!!!

bullfrog said:
Come to Lake Powell and see 9 passenger limos and semi tractor pickups used to pull 36 foot cabin cruisers in style with not for hire motorhome tags!!!
It's registered as a Motorhome because that's what's it is, not to get "around"'and laws.

The reason a CDL is not required is because:

1) it is not a commercial vehicle

2) it is not in commercial service

3) it does not weight over 26,000 pounds

4) it is privately owned

5) it "hauls" only private property

6) it does not haul "for hire"

FYI

speedhighway46 said:
3) it does not weight over 26,000 pounds

Everything else relates to ownership and use, but this relates to the vehicle itself, and I wasn't sure if a tractor rated for well over 26k GCVW can be legally "derated" to be under the limit. There's no way to have over 26k without a CDL, regardless of any other factors, right? What about airbrakes - does yours have them?

at least in CA air brakes do not matter if you are under the 26k. unless you are pulling a trailer that also has air brakes. in fact in CA if you only have 2 axles and are under 26k you don't need a CDL even if you have air brakes. highdesertranger

A CDL is not required in Michigan regardless of the weight as long as it is privately owned and not in commercial service.

The air brake requirement is a catch 22 in Michigan. If you have air brakes, which my vehicle does, you need an air brake endorsement on your CDL; but you don't need a CDL if you are not in commercial service, and you can't get an air brake endorsement on a non CDL operators permit.

Some of the largest newer motorhomes are now coming with air brakes and the same issue applies to them.

I will be happy to cite the legal section and paragraph from the Michigan Uniform Vehicle Code as reference if that would assist you in any way. I do carry a copy of the "law" with me in case some LEO or Motor Carrier Enforcement Officer thinks I am in commercial service.

I cannot be "put out of service" because I'm "not in service."

The Feds have guidelines that States are required to meet for vehicles if they want to get highway funding and such. Some States go beyond what the Feds require. Some States have a special licence for larger RV's, (Texas for sure), some don't. Just depends where it is registered. One thing that does happen is called reciprocity. If your State does not require something, and you travel to the State that does, your home State rules apply.

Towing rules do change with the State and must be obeyed. Here in Nevada, you can tow whatever the speed limit says. Next door in California, you have a slower speed limit for towing.

At least this is my understanding.