Building a bed in my 1991 2dr G-Class

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

covello

Reaction score
Hey everyone! 

New here, I have been thinking about getting a van for years, but recently just decided to get my feet wet by removing the back seats of my short wheelbase 2dr g-class and building a bed in it! 

Not entirely sure what I am doing, but I am excited! Here is my truck:

A7306728 by Covello W, on Flickr

My seats removed...

IMG_7916 by Covello W, on Flickr

Some measurements I took, it's tiny!! 

IMG_7934 by Covello W, on Flickr

IMG_7932 by Covello W, on Flickr

IMG_7936 by Covello W, on Flickr

The plan is to build the frame on the passenger side, with a drawer with slats that extends when the front pass seat is folder up, that will get me about 6ft long bed that's 30" wide or so. Not bad! 

Underneath I'd love to make a drawer that I can pull out for a stove and maybe a fridge? but it might be too tight. Just browsing for ideas and thoughts! 

Also, I need to figure out how to fasten this to the truck, I want to be able to remove everything, so it will have to be ratcheted in, or locked in with pressure? Not sure really, gotta figure it out!

Welcome mate,
Just looking at your project. That's a nice flat floor area you have to begin with.
If it was mine I would build a plywood box bed base at the required length, with a height of the wheel well you are covering and simply screw it down into the flat floor.
This would give you a great place for maybe an offset slideout rear cooker with the back door open. being offset could give you an extra long storage area beside it. A nice shade awning would keep you out of the sun/rain as a bonus. pull out camping frig could go in the rear footwell behind the passenger seat.
With the bed being slightly elevated the seat might not have to fold up as much to get the sleeping length you need.

Just my thoughts.

Welcome to the CRVL forums covello! Good idea to use what you already have. Keep us updated on your build!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

rokguy said:
Welcome mate,
Just looking at your project. That's a nice flat floor area you have to begin with.
If it was mine I would build a plywood box bed base at the required length, with a height of the wheel well you are covering and simply screw it down into the flat floor.
This would give you a great place for maybe an offset slideout rear cooker with the back door open. being offset could give you an extra long storage area beside it. A nice shade awning would keep you out of the sun/rain as a bonus. pull out camping frig could go in the rear footwell behind the passenger seat.
With the bed being slightly elevated the seat might not have to fold up as much to get the sleeping length you need.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you for your thoughts! That's actually a great idea I have yet to entertain. I think that could work well as a base and I was trying to figure out how to use the wheelwells for something, supporting a larger base / floor could be the way to go! 

I don't know how a fridge will fit behind the front pass seat, I'd have to find a pretty small one! maybe they exist. 

I could potentially build a full floor at 10" above the wheel well and then just have the fridge next to the bed on a roller to pull out the back. could also have some 8-9" drawers under that floor. So many ways to do it lol. 

rvwandering said:
Welcome to the CRVL forums covello!  Good idea to use what you already have. Keep us updated on your build!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. 

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Copy thank you! I'll be sure to read through em!

For a little extra space look into SUV tents. It would connect to the back and give you a place to be able to stand up while you cook or get dressed.

There are a few 12v draw type frigs available that pull out on glides.

Basic layout of most backpacker vans in Australia usually have the bed either crossways (not in your case) (depends on van width) or longways elevated at the top of the wheel wells. Kitchenette slides out from under bed base at the rear, with storage for camp chairs, clothes, supplies etc. under the front part.