Build Ideas-Input appreciated

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GrantRobertson
You gave me a chuckle when you said " Normally, I wouldn't be interested in watching a man take a shower."  Pretty funny! Glad you liked the sites.

Almost There & Bob,
Thanks so much for the photos & links. I may never have found the van build for Alaska.

Agreed, having things in cupboards/drawers is more convenient than under a bed or in a box/tote. But I don`t see how switching what`s under the bed to the place where the sink (& paraphernalia) & stove are & then putting the sink & stove under the bed is helpful. (I understand it`s not a complete swap)

I would think to have some things used daily or multiple times / day in a dedicated 'out of the box' place so you're not digging them out for each use would be less aggravating. It would be more like the upscale kitchens. Is that not being organized? Can you store more stuff by putting the stove & sink in a cupboard/chest of drawers?

I must bee missing what you're trying to teach me. Mind trying again?

Cry`n Bryan
If you come across that "article on this site for a shower that was pretty ingenious" I'd like to see it.

I love your pressurized  shower! Bookmarked it. My hair sheds H2O so pressure helps me saturate & rinse it much faster. Too bad the shower shed can't also be used inside.

For more storage I suggest that the stove/oven hanging on the door be replaced by a cabinet hung on the door that you can place a 1 or 2 burner stove on to cook indoors or out. The rest of the cabinet will give you extra storage. If not being able to bake is a big loss to you, a dutch oven may help. A stainless or aluminum pot w/ a rack in the bottom may also act as an oven over flame. Have to google it. I would bet a pot can be used for more things than an oven. Or try getting a Kangaroo Kitchen.

Hi surfer, that link for the shower is at the bottom. It is one of the articles in the blog section, it is a lil way down in the actual article. What I liked about it was how the guy got it to be dual purpose-ish. As to the oven, I want it for cookies and brownies lol, possibly bread too. I am thinking that the cooking/sink area might go good way in the back of the van(open rear doors to cook). Stealth not a concern really. Will have to google the kangaroo kitchen thing and see what that is about. 2+ more months of waiting until we get back on the road is almost unbearable now that we decided to do this thing lol. I feel like I used to at Christmas and having to wait for presents!!!

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/ingenious-van-conversion-simple-indoor-shower/

surfer said:
Attach the stove cabinet to the door (assuming the door swings out vs. sliding back to open). Door hinge becomes way of using stove indoors or out by opening or closing the door.

On 1st drawing I thought you put the sink by the door so it could double as shower outside (as well as inside (w/ curtain)) by using spray handle as sink spigot & shower nozzle. 

Personally I can't   decide which advantage I like most; bathing outside or cooking outside. Anyone have response to which is better or how to have the advantage of both without adding outdoor shower compartment? 

That's relatively easy if you have swinging side doors.  I have old VW style flip up tables on each side door, they can be used from inside or outside, then I use a regular double burner camp stove, and dish pans with spray bottles for sinks.  Either can go on either shelf either indoors or out.  I also have a student desk behind my drivers seat that can also be used for kitchen purposes if desired.

My shower enclosure is portable, a hula hoop for the curtain rod, and can be hung either inside, or outside between the open side or rear doors, or even strung from a tree.  Sit down showers are possible within the van (low top). 

My secret is to keep everything portable, so that it can be used either indoors or out, without duplication.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
...My shower enclosure is portable, a hula hoop for the curtain rod, and can be hung either inside, or outside between the open side or rear doors, or even strung from a tree.  Sit down showers are possible within the van (low top)...

A hula hoop! That is really inventive and being added to my notes. The being able to use it indoor and out is great. We don't need stealth, but I think being able to go stealth in a city would come in handy at some point.

Cry said:
A hula hoop! That is really inventive and being added to my notes. The being able to use it indoor and out is great. We don't need stealth, but I think being able to go stealth in a city would come in handy at some point.

Works really good, and all from a dollar store. Hula hoop ( 2 combined if one isn't large enough), curtain hooks, shower curtains, and rope.  I think I invested a total of $5 in it.

Inside it is also my toilet enclosure, and I can sit on the toilet to shower (low top van).  I'm currently using an under bed storage tote as a shower pan to catch the water, and make sure the shower curtain is tucked inside of it while showering.

For baking without an oven you might try a Bakepacker http://www.bakepacker.com/info.html
I have one that I take when I pack into the wilderness to hunt for a week each year. It works really well. Of course any grid in the bottom of a pot , with water filled to the grid will work. But I think this works more efficiently so it uses less fuel. In fact I used to use it in a pot that was maybe only 1/2'' bigger than the bake packer. I was able to find a pot it fit tight in and my cooking times dropped by at least 1/3. It also nests inside your existing pots so it doesn't take up extra room when you're not using it.

That Bakepacker looks interesting, will keep that in mind when build time comes and I find out that build room is scarce. Thnx!

Cry`n Bryan
Thanks for the link! Yum, cookies & brownies! I think an oven would be easier to bake them than in a cast iron Duch Oven on coals. A kitchen out the back doors is a great idea too! You could hang the stove/oven off a door there too. Whhheee, Christmas in a few months!!!

Off Grid 24/7
Thanks for another 'think outside of the box'idea! And cheap too!

masterplumber
Thanks for the Bakepacker idea! I had never heard of 1. My idea was more along this line:

euhuguenin
Thanks for another place to get build ideas!

If you are looking at a sprinter with a tall roof, you could potentially do bunk beds on one side, leaving the other for storage, counter space, etc.

PeterG said:
If you are looking at a sprinter with a tall roof, you could potentially do bunk beds on one side, leaving the other for storage, counter space, etc.

That would be a sweet thing to do. It's   what I'd do!