2009 Chrysler Town and Country - Weekender Build

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabalooba

Reaction score
Hello!
Starting plans for a 2009 Chrysler Town and Country weekender conversion.
The Goal is to be able to use the van normally for our family and then place in conversion for 1-3 day trips. (Possible up to 1 week)
Below is initial sketch out with correct dimensions (not including board width - this has been considered on paper)

Looking for a few other sets of eyes to see if my initial design has any fatal flaws before I move forward with my build.
Any and all comments, questions, concerns, ideas are welcome.
Thanks
(Note that in this build all of the stow and go seating has been removed to allow use of the lower bays)

Section one - Bench Seating
Benches are 3'X1' - 3/4" MDF construction - piano hinged on back to use interior for storage
Floor section is U Shaped making it a single piece and allowing for table mount to be secure
Table mounted by two drop-in style RV table supports - easy to remove
Table top is 3/4" solid wood - will be dropped down onto 3/4" MDF "rails" as shown to make a single solid surface for Kids bed
Four 1"x3'x1' Memory foam cushions will be used as seat and back - also laid our as bed when table is dropped down to make it a single surface
*Bench overhangs stow and go bay so I can sit comfortably back there (tested)*

Section two - Kitchen
1/2" MDF construction as one unit (for the sake of ease i will reference as A,B,C - left to right (know this will be heavy and have considered having unit A separate)
Section A - vertical storage with vent free water heater in top bay (with 6" exhaust fan out window) 12"-18"deep x 12" wide x 42" tall
Section B - prep surface with rear dual burner propane burners in drawer and 3 storage drawers. 18" deep x 12" wide x 24" tall
Section C - Sink with 16"x10" interior (Faucet on 3" middle section as drawn) lower drawer storage 18" deep x 12" wide x 24" tall
*Front stow and go will store two 16 gallon tanks for fresh/grey water and pump system*

Section three/four - Electrical and floor
Single box for 4 small batteries and 1000W inverter 3/4" MDF construction
Box will be vented and batteries spaced and supported internally (later separate thread)
Outlets will be wired inside of small tower on rear of box
Floor section will be stand alone 3/4" MDF - (all floor surfaces to be covered with something, carpet, floating floor at later time)

I have completed diagrams, component lists, and specs for all water systems, electrical systems, and propane systems. But one thing at a time.

Thanks again

Attachments

• whole camper.JPG
    whole camper.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 8
  • bench.JPG
    bench.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 4
  • kitchen.JPG
    kitchen.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 6
  • electrical.JPG
    electrical.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 4
Looks pretty good
I can see that getting into the left hand bench will be a problem, corner may have it be removed from table either at the front to slip in or just have one pin for table, remove corner or round it at the right side on the back of the table and swivel table to get in. Does the front seat swivel in the town and country, I  have a Grand Caravan and the front seats swivel so the table connects to the sink bench. And the bed folds down length wise so an adult can sleep on it and when up serves as couch or table bench. Where are you going to sleep? How many people will be sleeping in here, you could possibly sleep on the floor with feet under the kids bed. Another fold up bench could be added in front of the sink for extra prep area or to the cabinet by the side door. You could add a tent over the open back door for extra space while camped. MDF is going to be heavy. I have a van that I use for work and slip the interior out of it, everything is made of 3/16 ply and 3/4 by 3/4 framing glued and brad nailed except the floor which lifts up to form the double bed and the top of the single bed which are 1/2 inch ply. I can lift it out by myself easily in less then 5 mins and install in less then 10. How do you plan on carrying people around in here? Front seats only? But you mention kids bed I am confused??

i have lived in a Chrysler minivan well over a year. i would highly suggest you mock up the table and benches in the back and sit in them a bit. eat lunch there, play some card games, get in and out of them many times. the walls of the minivan do not go straight up, they curve in, considerably. while there may be plenty of width at shoulder height and enough head room while facing forward. you may find the reduced width at head height while sitting sideways to be uncomfortable.

as for the MDF, that stuff is an abomination, there are much lighter, stronger, more durable materials and construction methods that will last longer to boot and not break the bank. weight is going to be your enemy.

i would highly recommend you get a weight of your empty rig at a truck scale. then add up the weight of all the material you plan to use for the build and the weight of your gear you would take, including food and water in your tanks. then see how that falls in comparison to the rig GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) even if you keep it under the max rating, remember these rigs are not like old trucks that last forever at or over the rating. running a modern minivan at or near max will severely impact the longgevity of drive train, brakes, suspension and such. also keep in mind the front and rear weight ratings. if your front/rear weight bias is off you may be under the max whole rig limit but could be over loading one of the axles. that could also significantly impact the handling, probably not much in normal driving but could be quite a surprise in an emergency stop or evasive swerve.

weight is the enemy and will bite you when you least expect it
be safe

flying kurbmaster... when you say your front seats swivel, are you talking the drivers seat and very front passenger seats? or just the first row in the back?

if it is the driver/passenger seat in the very front, what year is your rig?

thanks

Thanks flying kurbmaster! Answering the best I can

Looks pretty good
I can see that getting into the left hand bench will be a problem
  - The top surface of the table is sitting on top of two RV mounts (cant link yet) the table is removable very easily and will be placed trunk side and then replaced when sitting there. - Most of the time entrance will be from the rear so the removal is for emergencies/ rain.

Does the front seat swivel? Where are you going to sleep?
  - The front seats currently do not swivel - the front passengers seat is in the process of being able to be spun 180* details on that later.
The floor piece in section 3 will be lifted up and set up on the lips coming off of all other parts. The main support will be a wing on the battery boy that swings out toward van front. to hold up floor to same height. Basically the entire van interior will be at the same height and cushioned. By spinning the front passengers chair it allows for a full 6' stretch that will be my bed. the end being the kids bench.

How many people will be sleeping in here?
  - Most of the time it will be myself and one of my boys going on a trip hence just the two front seats. the reason for all separate pieces is that the bench can be flipped vertically and the the other components pushed back so that the front two stow and go seats can still be used in transit. They can then be placed back down and the van reassembled on site. This would allow for uncomfortable sleeping of 4 in emergencies but this plan is only for camping trips not for sleeping in the unit.

MDF is going to be heavy. I have a van that I use for work and slip the interior out of it, everything is made of 3/16 ply and 3/4 by 3/4 framing glued and brad nailed except the floor which lifts up to form the double bed and the top of the single bed which are 1/2 inch ply.
  - I have used MDF for many projects but based on this information it seems like your plan would save a ton of weight - it is heavy stuff. I will need to do some testing for flex and weight but i will plan on trying to thin out my design.

Thanks so much! got a lot to to think about here. This is exactly the kind of opinions I was looking for

Thanks Seminole Wind!

I have lived in a Chrysler minivan well over a year. i would highly suggest you mock up the table and benches in the back and sit in them a bit.
  -This was one of my biggest concerns. If you note from the stow bay the bench it is actually moved forward a full foot to clear the plastic that hangs lower at the rear. I am 6'2" so knew this would be an issue so made sure to test. I built a mock-up and tested it for lunch and dinner. It was indeed a little tight but not terrible with the extra leg room of the 10" stow and go.

as for the MDF, that stuff is an abomination, there are much lighter, stronger, more durable materials and construction methods that will last longer to boot and not break the bank. weight is going to be your enemy.
  - This has been a common response  - i have used MDF for home projects so it is what I am used to. Looking into other materials recommended by other users.

Weight
  - Keeping weight down is important for all the reasons listed here I have addressed several of these already. Before starting my business the van was used to transport heavy materials. The rear bearings and housings have been replaced and reinforced. All 4 breaks have been modified. All around suspension has been replaced and/or modified. Transmission shift points have been changed (if i remember correctly). And something was done to the frame and other bits. Curb wight is up almost 100lbs in modifications alone. Based on weight of previous loads i am less concerned in this area.

Thanks for your help, time, and tips

if someone told you they did something to the frame, they dont know much about those rigs

those vehicles do not have a frame, they are uni-body. regardless of being "beefed up" i would be very cautious of exceeding manufacturers specs. rigs these days (and those days) are designed as a package. not like the good ole days. beefing up a couple of weak points just shifts the weak link. not saying it cant be done, but to do it safely it needs to be re engineered taking into account all aspects.

just saying be safe and consider the worst. anybody can make it seam better for causal driving. but when the crap hits the fan in an emergency crash or maneuver, i want to be riding on well engineered and proven systems

much of my concern is for others reading about this as it is for your current project

Seminole Wind said:
flying kurbmaster... when you say your front seats swivel, are you talking the drivers seat and very front passenger seats? or just the first row in the back?

if it is the driver/passenger seat in the very front, what year is your rig?

thanks
It is the driver seat and the front passenger, it is a 1993 Grand Caravan made into a camper by GTRV they called it the Magic Van there are pictures of it somewhere on this site. Maybe under ideal mini van or perfect mini van or something like that. I think the seats were modified on mine but I heard that some of these did come with a swilvel seat as an option not sure what year that was.

nice, i want some of those for my 2000 plymouth. you wouldnt happen to be at the RTR would ya? would love to see them in person. ill see if i can find those pix

thanks