BUGS AND CRITTERS IN YOUR RIG?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XFILE36

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had problems with any sort of bugs inside their home on wheels.  I have a phobia of them and would like any feedback besides to put your food and waste well contained.  I watched a video last night about a large scorpion and my mind hasn't been able to forget it.  I also am allergic to stings of bugs.  Also, are there other varmints that need to be considered?  I saw the post on rats in the engine already.   Looking for solutions prior to leaving as prevention.  Thanks! :heart:

We haven't experienced any more bugs, etc. in an RV than a house. It is critical to seal up tightly around all openings. I saw a conversation elsewhere that a light underneath will keep packrats away although we never had a problem with them. We lived north of Tucson, 3 years in a small town and 3 years out in the county in the desert. We had no unusual issues. 2 scorpions got in the house out in the county, I killed them both, but after we discovered there was a large opening in the utility room and closed that up, never had a problem. The lizards generally took care of most of the bugs there. I am a fan of lizards! Ant traps and sticky traps will eliminate a lot of the bugs and mice. Some mice can be very small and can get away from the standard traps. You are going to see spiders. It is best to learn which ones are poisonous, not that many. The more you learn about the habits, etc. of those that you have an issue with, the more comfortable you will become. The only time I have heard of something nesting in the engine is when it had sat idle for some time.

XFILE36 said:
I was wondering if anyone has had problems with any sort of bugs inside their home on wheels.  I have a phobia of them and would like any feedback besides to put your food and waste well contained. 
A lot of the various pests types will depend a lot on your locale. As Snow Gypsy said, you're going to have spiders anywhere, so try to learn the difference between them. A lot of them are good for eliminating other pests.
I too am a fan of lizards, some snakes, etc.
PS, When I return to the store I buy food at, I usually bring a single bag of trash back and dump it in their trash as I walk in to go shopping. For every three or four bags I buy, I bring back one bag of trash in a plastic shopping bag with their brand on it.

Snow Gypsy said:
We haven't experienced any more bugs, etc. in an RV than a house.  It is critical to seal up tightly around all openings.  I saw a conversation elsewhere that a light underneath will keep packrats away although we never had a problem with them.  We lived north of Tucson, 3 years in a small town and 3 years out in the county in the desert.  We had no unusual issues.  2 scorpions got in the house out in the county, I killed them both, but after we discovered there was a large opening in the utility room and closed that up, never had a problem.  The lizards generally took care of most of the bugs there.  I am a fan of lizards!  Ant traps and sticky traps will eliminate a lot of the bugs and mice.  Some mice can be very small and can get away from the standard traps.  You are going to see spiders.  It is best to learn which ones are poisonous, not that many.  The more you learn about the habits, etc. of those that you have an issue with, the more comfortable you will become.  The only time I have heard of something nesting in the engine is when it had sat idle for some time.
Snow Gypsy, I currently have an elderly cat, so I think the scent of him might deter the rats and mice?  Does anyone have problems with them with a cat?  I love lizards too and used to live in Hawaii and had geckos inside that ate the bugs, so neat!  Maybe I could get a lizard as a second pet?  LOL!    I really detest ROACHES more than anything in the world besides flies.  Thanks for all the advice!   :D

Ballenxj said:
A lot of the various pests types will depend a lot on your locale. As Snow Gypsy said, you're going to have spiders anywhere, so try to learn the difference between them. A lot of them are good for eliminating other pests.
I too am a fan of lizards, some snakes, etc.

Ballenxj, nice to know some spiders eliminated other pests.  I do gardening on my balcony and never really thought what spiders ate!

XFILE36 said:
Ballenxj, nice to know some spiders eliminated other pests.  I do gardening on my balcony and never really thought what spiders ate!

Step into "my" parlor, said the spider to the fly. :)

We have never had a problem with roaches, often though, in neighborhood/apartment living, you can treat for them, they run next door and come back when it is "safe". On wheels, you can leave them behind! I lived once in base housing in MS long ago by the gulf, and roaches............. You could hear their bodies drag across the wooden floor at night and treating for them seemed to make them just want to procreate more.

A cat may or may not work. Didn't work for us when we had mice, of course, our cat was sort of a sissy and grossed out by mice. I'd show him the dead mouse, and disgust was written all over his face.

Snow Gypsy said:
On wheels, you can leave them behind!  I lived once in base housing in MS long ago by the gulf, and roaches.............  You could hear their bodies drag across the wooden floor at night and treating for them seemed to make them just want to procreate more.

A cat may or may not work.  Didn't work for us when we had mice, of course, our cat was sort of a sissy and grossed out by mice.  I'd show him the dead mouse, and disgust was written all over his face.
OH, GROSS!  That reminds me of my first apartment I lived in.  The "kitchen" (just a hot plate and you had to wash your dishes in the tub) had aluminum foil lined on the wall.  At night I could hear them crawling behind the foil!  ARGH!  One even crawled across my face once while sleeping.  BAD memories.  Funny story about your cat! LOL!

Mice are a constant complaint in the Skoolie forums. I think we may park in one place longer than some of the #vanlife folks.

You will sometimes see folks leave their hood open while camping. This is in some part to discourage mice and pack rats.

Steel wool is common in plumbing and for RV's to keep bugs and mice out.Just stuff it loosley in any and all crevices or holes.

I've heard that a light in the engine compartment or even just under the rig can help.

Peppermint oil around places they might get in is supposed to help as well.

Jars with perforated lids with mothballs inside under NOT in the rig will also help keep all sorts of things away. Use too many and they may keep you away.

Some years ago I was cabin camping. Place had a fridge and a stove etc. We brought home a mouse in a box of chocolates. When were getting ready to leave we just scooped it up, closed the lid and the little rat bas#^&@ lived in there for several days demolishing those candies until he escaped. A bated trap got him the next night.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
Steel wool is common in plumbing and for RV's to keep bugs and mice out.Just stuff it loosley in any and all crevices or holes.

Peppermint oil around places they might get in is supposed to help as well.

Jars with perforated lids with mothballs inside under NOT in the rig will also help keep all sorts of things away. Use too many and they may keep you away.

Some years ago I was cabin camping. Place had a fridge and a stove etc. We brought home a mouse in a box of chocolates. When were getting ready to leave we just scooped it up, closed the lid and the little rat bas#^&@ lived in there for several days demolishing those candies until he escaped. A bated trap got him the next night.

Steel wool rusts and degrades very easily, as I have used it for staining art work.  Can you explain about that more please?  Peppermint oil sounds good because I am sensitive to chemicals and don't want them in my home either.  Mothballs are very toxic and have a warning on them, so I would only use them outside or under?  Your story about the chocolates!  Oh my goodness!  At least he died fat and happy!  LOL!

I might be the wrong person to reply to this thread, since I **like** bugs: I used to make my living doing live animal shows, so I've kept many species of scorpion, centipede, millipede, tarantula, cockroaches and spiders (including Black Widows and Brown Recluse).

The bugs can't live in your van unless they have food and water. So by denying them those things, you make it less inviting for uninvited guests. "Water" you can't really do anything about, since most critters can live happily on the condensation inside the van. "Food", for some species, can also be difficult to remove completely, since cockroaches for example can eat the insulation from your wiring, your rubber floormats, or each other. But keeping your floors assiduously clean of crumbs can at least help keep them away. The bugs you really want to watch out for are the various kinds of "carpet beetles"--these can get into your food supply (they like grains and flour) and wreak havoc, and they are damn hard to get rid of.

As far as safety, keep in mind that there are in the US only one species of scorpion that is potentially hazardous (the Arizona Bark Scorpion), and only two types of spider (Black Widows and Brown Recluses--tarantulas, despite their fearsome image, are not harmful to humans, and in fact they make great pets), and none of those species particularly like being around people. So it is tremendously unlikely that you will be killed in your sleep.

lenny flank said:
I might be the wrong person to reply to this thread, since I **like** bugs: I used to make my living doing live animal shows, so I've kept many species of scorpion, centipede, millipede, tarantula, cockroaches and spiders (including Black Widows and Brown Recluse).

The bugs can't live in your van unless they have food and water. So by denying them those things, you make it less inviting for uninvited guests. "Water" you can't really do anything about, since most critters can live happily on the condensation inside the van. "Food", for some species, can also be difficult to remove completely, since cockroaches for example can eat the insulation from your wiring, your rubber floormats, or each other. But keeping your floors assiduously clean of crumbs can at least help keep them away. The bugs you really want to watch out for are the various kinds of "carpet beetles"--these can get into your food supply (they like grains and flour) and wreak havoc, and they are damn hard to get rid of.

As far as safety, keep in mind that there are in the US only one species of scorpion that is potentially hazardous (the Arizona Bark Scorpion), and only two types of spider (Black Widows and Brown Recluses--tarantulas, despite their fearsome image, are not harmful to humans, and in fact they make great pets), and none of those species particularly like being around people. So it is tremendously unlikely that you will be killed in your sleep.

Lenny, 

I GENERALLY do not eat or store grains or flour (being Ketogenic) so I might not have that trouble.  I use ground almond flour as my flour.  I try to store in glass that is airtight too and don't plan to change that.  I will keep that in mind though about the occasional rice.  My sister had a tarantula as a pet too.  As for only one scorpion being deadly, I could die from MANY bug stings like bees, other scorpions, wasps, etc. etc. not just one, being allergic and extremely sensitive to venom.  Since you know so much about these bugs like roaches, is there any way to roach-proof your wires or floor mats, or even your rig?  P.S. I saw centipedes too in Hawaii, always dead!  You must have had an interesting profession (in a weird way!)

You should see the centipedes in Central America. A foot long and an inch wide.  ;)  The centipedes in the US aren't dangerous to humans (though a bite hurts like an SOB--take my word for it).

Alas, there is no good way to keep cockroaches out.  They will always find a way in, and can squeeze through the smallest of holes or gaps. In Florida, every house--even the biggest and richest mansions in Tierra Verde--has roaches. It's just a part of life.

lenny flank said:
You should see the centipedes in Central America. A foot long and an inch wide.  ;)  The centipedes in the US aren't dangerous to humans (though a bite hurts like an SOB--take my word for it).

Alas, there is no good way to keep cockroaches out.  They will always find a way in, and can squeeze through the smallest of holes or gaps. In Florida, every house--even the biggest and richest mansions in Tierra Verde--has roaches. It's just a part of life.

Lenny, ARGH!  RE: The central american centipedes, but if you are allergic like I am, it is STILL VERY DANGEROUS BEYOND pain!  Bugs or snakes can cause DEATH to some of us.  Roaches are now bad in california too.  Since you are an expert, do you have any advice to prevent things like roaches in FLA or CA or anywhere?

Alas, the only way to keep the roaches out is to not make it attractive for them, by not providing any food source. That is very hard to do, since the little buggers are very adaptable and will eat anything remotely edible. One can of course spray the little suckers, but that would likely not be pleasant in a confined space like a van. The "roach motel" glue-type traps are at least a nontoxic option.

I do understand allergies (I had a snake-keeping friend who wasn't allergic to snake venom but WAS allergic to the "egg" component in anti-venom, which was sort of an awkward problem). But it should be understood that "venoms" for different animals are chemically quite different, and because one is allergic to one type doesn't mean one is also allergic to the others.

lenny flank said:
I do understand allergies (I had a snake-keeping friend who wasn't allergic to snake venom but WAS allergic to the "egg" component in anti-venom, which was sort of an awkward problem). But it should be understood that "venoms" for different animals are chemically quite different, and because one is allergic to one type doesn't mean one is also allergic to the others.

Lenny,  I have been allergic to EVERY type of bee that has stung me, i.e. black jacket, yellow jacket, honey bee.  I don't want to know if any more bugs would be allergic, but I have confirmed allergies done by a medical doctor.  I am extremely allergic to certain things like 7 specific trees, weeds, and grasses.  Some people just have these reactions and can die regardless of whether or not the supposed bug/animal can kill YOU.

I had a ant invasion this week. The little itty-bitty ants.
I parked overnight up near some trees for shade and the small branches gave the ants a convenient highway aboard the van. I smooshed a few dozen, figured out how they got in, then hit the road. 70mph got the rest.

If you can avoid tall grass and branches touching the vehicle, it will give a buffer.

gargoyle said:
I had a ant invasion this week. The little itty-bitty ants.
I parked overnight up near some trees for shade and the small branches gave the ants a convenient highway aboard the van. I smooshed a few dozen, figured out how they got in, then hit the road. 70mph got the rest.

If you can avoid tall grass and branches touching the vehicle, it will give a buffer.

Thanks!

The good part about ants is that unless you actually have a queen with a nest, the workers can't reproduce and will all eventually die out.

The bad part is that they can live a couple years first. ;)

(Remember those plastic Ant Farms we had as a kid? That's why they always died after a couple years--there was no queen.)