BUGS AND CRITTERS IN YOUR RIG?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lenny flank said:
The good part about ants is that unless you actually have a queen with a nest, the workers can't reproduce and will all eventually die out.

The bad part is that they can live a couple years first.  ;)

(Remember those plastic Ant Farms we had as a kid? That's why they always died after a couple years--there was no queen.)

Not all of us had plastic ant farms.  Some of us were out catching bees and lightning bugs, LOL.  Interesting about the ants though.

I have had zero problems.
When I am not there the vehicle interior gets very hot or ver cold. This kills them all.

Belinda2 said:
I have had zero problems.
When I am not there the vehicle interior gets very hot or ver cold. This kills them all.

Belinda, I have a cat so I can't allow it to get to extremes.

I picked up some small cockroaches in South Florida a while back. Traps and poisons did not work, nor did cleaning as well as I was able. I eventually got rid of them by spending a couple of nights in a hotel in the mountains in Winter, freezing them out.

A boaters trick to avoid roaches is take everything out of cardboard boxes place content s in airtight plastic etc. Als remove labels from cans bottles etc..use sharpie to write contents and date.

Off topic if you wrap Lemon and limes in aluminum foil, place in airtight container they last months no refrigeration.

dextours said:
A boaters trick to avoid roaches is take everything out of cardboard boxes place content s in airtight plastic etc. Als remove labels from cans bottles etc..use sharpie to write contents and date.

Off topic if you wrap Lemon and limes in aluminum foil, place in airtight container they last months no refrigeration.

can you read your answer and re-write it?

XFILE36 said:
can you read your answer and re-write it?
I am familiar with this, take your Cheerios, Cap'n Crunch, or what ever out out the cardboard box it comes in, and fill large baggies with the cereal or whatever food stuff, and get rid of the cardboard box. Roaches love cardboard. You can use Tupperware and glass jars for other stuff. I use a tall Tupperware style juice container bought at Walmart for my cereal as it pours it into the bowl easier, and seals up nicely.
I hope that helps clear it up.

Ballenxj said:
I am familiar with this, take your Cheerios, Cap'n Crunch, or what ever out out the cardboard box it comes in, and fill large baggies with the cereal or whatever food stuff, and get rid of the cardboard box. Roaches love cardboard. You can use Tupperware and glass jars for other stuff. I use a tall Tupperware style juice container bought at Walmart for my cereal as it pours it into the bowl easier, and seals up nicely.  I hope that helps clear it up.
Yes, thanks.

dextours said:

dextours, why do you take the labels off?  Interesting about the citrus trick.  I wonder why that works.  Would it still work if you refrigerated them after doing the above, therefore prolonging their lives more?

dextours said:
A boaters trick to avoid roaches is to remove the food from cardboard boxes and put the food in airtight plastic containers like Tupperware or gallon freezer bags. Boaters will also remove labels from cans and bottles. They will use a Sharpie permanent marker to write on the containers, bags, cans and bottles noting the contents and the purchase date. If they didn't do that everything would be a "mystery can".

XFILE36 said:
dextours, why do you take the labels off?  Interesting about the citrus trick.  I wonder why that works.  Would it still work if you refrigerated them after doing the above, therefore prolonging their lives more?

Refrigerating the lemons and limes would probably make them last even longer. The trouble boaters and RVers share is shortage of fridge space why take up the space in the fridge if you don't have to.

XFILE36 said:

As someone else has already mentioned, the roaches get into the packaging to eat the glue and cardboard. Which means you carry them into your house in the packaging without knowing. That is the reason why the packaging is removed and food stuff stored in other containers.

highdesertranger said:
roaches jacked up on glue.  nothing is scarier.  highdesertranger

Did you guys know that a lot of glue is made from dairy product, and is most likely why roaches like and eat it?

As an ex-sailboater, I can tell you that you should never bring cardboard onboard

Don't use cardboard boxes for any storage. Either food boxes, or larger boxes for carrying bunches of stuff.

As a landlord, I required tenants to promptly remove all cardboard moving boxes. They were not permitted to keep them. You shouldn't either.

Anything is fine dining to a cockroach. The glue used in cardboard boxes is CORN starch. Yummy!