broken down on Adventure

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANGRY-VENOM

Reaction score
WOW where to start...Adventure started back in june (2020) in TN after purchased my 1st class C RV from friends aunt/uncle.set out on long trip to Maine to visit family & blew engine along the way but made it into there driveway. my cuzin & i replaced that with another engine & after driving 2hrs south I blew another engine!! RV is now at shop since early Nov. & can't afford replace engine so not sure wut to do next. Friend came to pick me up while I figure things out lets me stay with him in NH. Any suggestions?? (I'm on SSI or SSDI so don't get much monthly) shop wants 4k too. lemme know your thoughts

ANGRY-VENOM said:
RV is now at shop since early Nov. & can't afford replace engine so not sure wut to do next. Friend came to pick me up while I figure things out lets me stay with him in NH. Any suggestions?? ... shop wants 4k too. lemme know your thoughts

How old is the RV?  Is it in good shape otherwise and worth fixing?

Is $4k for a used engine?  If so,what kind of warranty, if any?  Just make sure it's a good engine.

Maybe find someplace where you can park it for a while and live in it and save.

Sell it 'as-is' and find a place to live.

Bummer!

You might try your local township assistance office, and see if they have funds available to help or can perhaps refer you to a charity that helps with vehicle repairs.

Good luck.

A Class C doesn’t tell us much. First of all what is the year, model, make, number of miles and condition of the motor home. Apparently buying this hasn’t worked out to well for you because? People make mistakes but it is important to figure out what is happening so you don’t repeat them. What exactly is the shop charging $4,000 for. Was there no warranty on the motor when you put it in? What happened to the old motor? How much have you invested in the motor home? How much is left in your emergency fund? Since you are on a fixed income have you considered having it towed to somewhere you can live in it till you can save enough to get it repaired? How much is it costing you to stay with your friend? Making decisions before thinking them through gets a lot of us in trouble so take some time on this one. We are happy to give you ideas but need a lot more information.

so sorry on the BS ya got hit with!

gotta put the money to fix vs. what the rv is 'worth' to you in just how good it is etc.

only you know this truly. the first engine blew, what 'bad' engine did ya replace it with? and more comes into play cause we don't know.

brand new engine paid and done you should be fine ya know but 'older new engine' in there for what price and more?

ugh, feel for you on all this. damned if ya do and damned if ya don't but one thing is, do not skimp on engine, it is the WHOLE DAMN enchilada and moves you and protects you so??

wishing you the best on how ya roll thru all this.

it's a 1985/1986 chevy tioga. WanderingRose I nvr heard of those places so how do i find them...online? I'm stuck at friends that doesn't cost me anything except helping with wood for winter. When i get a chance I'll C how much to tow 100mls. I wouldn't have got the RV if wasn't good shape especially for the year. In case "bullfrog" wasn't able put 2gether shop said 4k for another engine (obviously with warranty) & replacement of old...I have no "emergency fund". also blew old engine on the way up with 90's temps. 2nd engine came from another vehicle cheap (they said ran) just trying get back home now so not sure wut else info needed...been gone since june! thx for all the ideas tho, lots to consider now. Awaiting more.

Using a phone book or looking it up online, look up Township Relief for whatever town you are in.

Or, call their city hall and ask for that number.

If they cannot provide help, or enough help, ask for where else you can call.

Good luck!

I'm curious how you determined the engine was blown, was there antifreeze in the oil or something?
Maybe it just needs a head gasket, which is a pain in the van but is feasible.

Total lack of funds leaves you few options. You are fortunate to have friends to stay with. I would see how much is owed to the shop at this point and how much it will cost to get it to your friends. Possibly Homes On Wheels Alliance’s (HOWA) emergency relief fund can help. You can contact them through this forum. If that doesn’t come through and you have a bill with the garage that you can’t pay (usually there is a storage fee if nothing else) they will most likely put a lien on it for what is due them after the storage fees have built up and you may eventually end up without the motor home. The sooner you resolve this the better.

Where id you get the replacement engine ? Usually even junkyards will have a 30day guarantee.

Many times old cars are a gamble, you drive them until something big goes out and find the next.

Sometimes Rubber Tramps run tires, sometimes they run sneakers.

my questions would be who is diagnosing these blown engines. generally speaking you don't barley make it anywhere with a blown engine. highdesertranger

last time I checked I could get a BRAND NEW 5.7/350 straight from GM for 1750 bucks. No freight, no core, pick up at local GM dealer. 3 year 30,000 mile warranty. I have put dozens of these engine in. I wouldn't even consider a rebuilt there is no reason.

highdesertranger

This is great to know.. as its what is my rig.

Thanks for mentioning it. Takes a bit of fret out worst case scenarios to know how reasonable that specific item is.

Uncle Todo said:
I'm curious how you determined the engine was blown, was there antifreeze in the oil or something?
Maybe it just needs a head gasket, which is a pain in the van but is feasible.
1st time was coolant into oil, this time heard rod whacking after rattle noises like maybe something let go...found piston hit spark-plug & garage did compression test. wouldn't stay running aswell of course

Gotcha, yeah first time was probably just head gaskets, which I believe isn't uncommon for Chevys.

Update: shop said I owe them nothing when i called (from sitting at there shop, etc.) so few days later had them tow to friends house almost 90 mls. away $577.50 so atleast it's finally within my site now again...GOOD NEWS! come spring we look closer at dmg inside engine.

Wow, gas engines are much less than diesels! Why can't diesels be those prices? Best of luck to you whatever route this bag of lemons takes you!

bullfrog said:
A Class C doesn’t tell us much. First of all what is the year, model, make, number of miles and condition of the motor home. Apparently buying this hasn’t worked out to well for you because? People make mistakes but it is important to figure out what is happening so you don’t repeat them. What exactly is the shop charging $4,000 for. Was there no warranty on the motor when you put it in? What happened to the old motor? How much have you invested in the motor home? How much is left in your emergency fund? Since you are on a fixed income have you considered having it towed to somewhere you can live in it till you can save enough to get it repaired? How much is it costing you to stay with your friend? Making decisions before thinking them through gets a lot of us in trouble so take some time on this one. We are happy to give you ideas but need a lot more information.

Where do I find "HOWA" to find out if possible to help? thx