Bread machine

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hugemoth said:
Does anyone use a bread machine? Have any good recipes? 

I like bread and I like to boondock in remote locations so getting fresh bread isn't easy unless I make it myself. Now I carry a bread machine and it works great. For the first 2 hours it runs off the 750 watt inverter then for the 1 hour baking cycle I plug it into the generator. 

Fresh Bread!

Did you say you were coming to YARC Camp this winter??? With your bread machine? I’ll sure pitch in flour, etc!

And Cammalu is the Queen Mother of the crème de la crème.

YARC Camp Location is the Quartzsite LTVA South.....all the way in the back.......past the Nekkid People (Magic Circle)

Next road turn RIGHT # ?........Thru the wash and turn RIGHT on #569............you made it

Near the Firepit there is a quartz rock installation that spells Y A R C .........Thank You John, Camila, Joker et al

Pay to Play........the LTVA is a BLM Fee Area

(Recent reports indicate another group has taken close residence.......we'll see next week)

Ok, got it, thanks. We rode the quads over to the LTVA yesterday to see if there were as many campers as usual. The numbers look to be far fewer than normal this year. Due to covid-19 I don't feel comfortable meeting up with groups of people so maybe next winter. In the meantime I'll remain a hermit.

Hugemoths there are groups that maintain strict masking and distancing and are still camping together at the LTVA. I will certainly be masking and am pretty sure the group I camp with doesn’t want to get sick either.

250,000 dead and millions sick. I don’t know what masks are such a big deal for some. Hell you put on a shirt, put on a hat, wear pants. What the hell is a little mask? Unless, of course, you are camping in the magic circle then different rules apply...

Since you have an ATV have you been out to the Petroglyphs and dripping springs?

Qxxx said:
And Cammalu is the Queen Mother of the crème de la crème.

No hell Im not. Abnorm is the center of YARC Camp. I’m not nice like he is.

I made yesterday the one loaf French bread linked in #18, and it was delicious.

Store bought French bread is much different than this, which is similar to a homestyle French bread recipe I tried last year.

Homemade recipes are less crusty than store bought, more just a good, basic white bread.

I may just try a loaf in my slow cooker and see how it works, as I am really intrigued by the idea.

jacqueg said:
The high heat is to get that initial rise, as the moisture in the bread turns into an internal burst of steam. On lower heat, that steam just sort of gradually vents.
Interesting, then why does my friend's bread come out so well on the low crockpot setting, as I mentioned in post #10? (I'm just trying to sort my way through all of this).

Cammalu said:
No hell Im not. Abnorm is the center of YARC Camp. I’m not nice like he is.
I should think abnorm would rather be seen as the welcoming Prime Minister than the Red QM.

Here is one of many slow cooker bread recipes:  https://brooklynfarmgirl.com/2-hour-slow-cooker-bread/

I made these (1/2 recipe; six rolls) in the solar cooker today:  https://livingsweetmoments.com/easy-slow-cooker-dinner-rolls/  Since they were done with the sun, there was no need to pop them under the broiler to brown the tops, and they were lovely to behold.  However, my cooker got hotter than a slow cooker pretty quickly, so the rolls were not as fluffy inside as those illustrated in the link.  I asked a friend who is a professional baker, and she agrees that "too hot, too soon" was the likely issue, and that a little pre-proofing (rising time) would improve the texture.  That would not be necessary in the slow cooker.

I own two of them but haven't taken them out boondocking as I don't go out in remote places and stay for extended periods.

Thanks for explaining how you rig it to use with an inverter & generator. 

Recipes?  I'd suggest you look for a series of cookbooks for the bread machine by Donna R. German titled,  The Bread Machine 1, 2, 3, etc.
(Bread Machine #1 is still in my own opinion the best) 

When I first saw a bread machine on TV years ago Donna German (an advertising exec on maternity leave) had been hired to introduce the bread machine into the USA and she began writing these cookbooks to go with them.  One of the first things I learned after spending $150 for my first one is to get ready to spend a $$$ for almost as much for ingredients to make all kinds of different breads in one of these.  Before the bread machine I never knew there were so many different kinds of bread.  Where I live here in "Hillbilly Heaven",  it's corn bread, biscuits or store bread....white, wheat, rye, and cinnamon raisin swirl. 

The last bread machine I purchased was in a yard/estate sale and still had plastic shipping tapes on it.  Got it for $5 bucks.

The most basic....and it's good....is "Peasant Bread" and is one of those 5 ingredient wonders.

The crumb is moist and chewy with a lite crispy crust. 

Medium size loaf:

1 C water
1 1/4 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 C  flour
1 1/2 tsp yeast  (regular or fast rising)

In my machine it directs me to add the liquids first and then the dry ingredients with the yeast on top as the last ingredient.
I set it up for regular bread on the control panel.

What I've found,  the bread will keep for about 3 days...sometimes longer.... before it starts to mold.

I like to use Red Star Yeast but find the yeast from Aldi's works/taste about the same.

She has these books specializing in Dough for various things such as pizza or pretzels etc,  sourdough, and pasta. Public Libraries usually have a few of these,  and some are online.

Her book list:

https://www.biblio.com/donna-rathmell-german/author/14815

hugemoth said:
Does anyone use a bread machine? Have any good recipes? 

I like bread and I like to boondock in remote locations so getting fresh bread isn't easy unless I make it myself. Now I carry a bread machine and it works great. For the first 2 hours it runs off the 750 watt inverter then for the 1 hour baking cycle I plug it into the generator. 

Fresh Bread!

Which brand are your using to bake your bread ?

Cammalu said:
...Since you have an ATV have you been out to the Petroglyphs and dripping springs?
Yes, I've been riding motorcycles and ATVs down here for the last 8 winters. Still discovering new interesting places by venturing ever farther from civilization. We're over the hill toward Bouse right now.