Brazing aluminum

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdiggy

Reaction score
Ok. So I have these holes in the roof of my van. Some are small like from a sheet metal screw. I saw a couple of you tube vids of guys brazing aluminum instead of either weld or epoxy. I have had lots of experience with brazing copper nickel and bronze so I know I am capable but was wondering if anybody had experience doing this?

cdiggy said:
Ok. So I have these holes in the roof of my van. Some are small like from a sheet metal screw. I saw a couple of you tube vids of guys brazing aluminum instead of either weld or epoxy. I have had lots of experience with brazing copper nickel and bronze so I know I am capable but was wondering if anybody had experience doing this?

Are we talking STEP van here? Cause I don't know of any regular van that has an aluminum body.

Is the aluminum painted? I'm thinking that the heat from brazing will mess up the paint around the repair.

Regards
John

Yes it s a step van. Messing with the paint is ok. I can fix that right up :)

I bought some "aluminum solder" at a trade show some years ago. It worked with typical propane or acetylene torch sets with no oxygen. I don't know the alloy but it worked like tin/lead but on aluminum.

ccbreder said:
I bought some "aluminum solder" at a trade show some years ago. It worked with typical propane or acetylene torch sets with no oxygen. I don't know the alloy but it worked like tin/lead but on aluminum.
Did it work well for you?

MikeRuth said:
Yeah that's the stuff. Anybody ever work with it? Good results?

Well, I certainly learned something! I was all set to state categorically that aluminum cannot be brazed. But that link shows different! I will keep this in mind if I ever need aluminum repaired!

Yes. I thought the same. The alloy apparently does not have aluminum in it. It melts around 600 degrees and aluminum melts I think around 12-1300

And of course the right kind of flux gets it to stick.

cdiggy said:
Yes. I thought the same. The alloy apparently does not have aluminum in it. It melts around 600 degrees and aluminum melts I think around 12-1300

And of course the right kind of flux gets it to stick.

That is a good point! Aluminum can be quirky to work with. Sometimes paint doesn't want to adhere properly, and it does corrode, even if it doesn't truly 'rust'. I had limited experience working with it at an aircraft mechanics school here during my high school years and in my term in the USAF. Sunny Florida is rough on aluminum. Boat maintenance can be a headache here too.

I remember the welders i worked with complained about it. Something about AC current or some such.

I fixed up a cracked gearbox on a quad with that stuff.. worked like a charm. ..Willy.

I only played around with a few beer cans. It seems the same stuff Mike posted. it is basically a soft solder and should be fine for closing holes.