Boy this is sweet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score

Attachments

• 00G0G_lDsaZNBzhNh_600x450.jpg
    00G0G_lDsaZNBzhNh_600x450.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 18
Those former shuttles would make nice campers but the commercial tag/title/insurance thing might be a drawback.

slow2day said:
Those former shuttles would make nice campers but the commercial tag/title/insurance thing might be a drawback.

I hadn't thought about that. I wonder how people get around it with schoolies, etc. Could you build it out and then get an RV tag?

It won't last!
Beautiful!

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

IanC said:
I hadn't thought about that. I wonder how people get around it with schoolies, etc. Could you build it out and then get an RV tag?

Each state is different. Someone suggested checking the schoolie forum(s) and I remember seeing something about Vermont being laxer than most. I've seen several older short buses that were made into really neat little campers.

Mileage with price is decent. Gas mpg is another draw back. Used for travel, these shuttles get 7-9 hwy -- in town 5. Gas suckers for sure. A prior company I worked for owned a 2009 V10, it l-o-v-e-d that gasoline (350 gallons a month ~ 1550 miles). Being a turtletop, may record a smidge better on gas, not by much. The Duramax 6.6 Liter V8 in a 2008 Chevrolet turtletop, loved that thing - much better on fuel and torque (that diesel was bullet proof).

If a person has the never-ending gas funds, go for it.

Wow! That's more then I thought!

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk

CautionToTheWind said:
If a person has the never-ending gas funds, go for it.

Or travel a little less and tow a toad and/or motorcycle. The V10 probably could tow with ease. I wonder if the V10's had the plug problems like some of the other Ford motors?

2009 V10 was a workhorse and reliable, no plug issues. Blower motors (qty 2) and right rear brake seize were the only issues, and going through tires.

Regarding shuttles, the turtletops are the ones to buy as they are better insulated for noise and temp's. 36 passengers not so much.

yes the V-10 had the plug issue but by 2008 they finally got it fixed. highdesertranger

Hey Ian, good to see you posting again. This would make an excellent platform to build from and looks good too. MPG is a bit of a negative, but aside from that it would be an awesome build.

That would make a nice RV Ian. :) A buddy had a class C with the same engine (V10 Ford) and swore he got really good mileage for a 31 ft motorhome. You might want to investigate further. Friend said he got 17 mpg in his 30 footer?

There's is a bunch of those on Kansas city Craigslist , all different colors and milage and prices.
Shuttle bus kansas city

IanC said:
Wow, that's a deal breaker. Like a class A

Yeah, I would often calculate over and over; didn't seem right. Crazy low. They got rid of the 2008 Chevy Duramax turtletop *cough* 113k high mileage (typical corporate bs), and I was tempted to buy it (before I heard of "van living" lol)

The chevy cut away Arboc -much better mpg.

As a resource, if interested, check a local-regional bus supplier/dealer for trade-ins.

If you don't drive a lot it would make for a nice build.

Don't have one, but I have heard the MPG figures are partially due to low gearing for in-town shuttle use. Perhaps a change in rear-end gearing would make a difference.

Latest posts