Box Truck Insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginnyannr

Reaction score
I'm over 6 feet tall. I've done some car camping and slept successfully in a Mazda 3, but I need more room for real life.

I'm considering building out a box truck; I have some carpentry skills, tools, and skilled friends.

Is there anyone out there who has done this? Can I ask what insurance company you used?

Thanks very much!
Ginny

Did that very thing. Bought a Uhaul gmc savana 3500 10' cutaway van. I'm just 6' and after adding floor and ceiling insulation I just manage to stand up without touching the ceiling. If your over 6' you should look at the 14' version box with higher ceiling.
If you own it outright get liability only insurance with uninsured/underinsured adder. My insurance with State Farm is written as a "commercial vehicle for personal use".
It's truck and that's what I use it as. If anyone asks.

If you finance the truck I have no advice on insurance. I hear it's difficult and expensive. Saying that, insurance varies by state and city.

I'm in Canada, so different insurance companies here, but nevertheless the same principle seems to apply, as Matlock stated, It is a "commercial vehicle for personal use", This is what I had to do also.
I know here we have a handful of insurance companies that will do this.