Bought my first tool set - Woot!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
Bought my first tool set - Woot!!
I have no idea how to use them - will apply my experience with the Dremel  ;)
... the tools are cordless - one of the tools is a sawzall ... I need to figure out if I still need to get a jigsaw for projects like cutting a sink hole in a piece of wood.

Can't wait to start van build!

Attachments

• m18.jpg
    m18.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 20
FWIW, a jigsaw is one of the most commonly needed tools I use in my build. Probably should just go get one.

(It's so easy to spend someone else's money.)

Congrats! Great set you have there, I have the same set. I've used several brands professionally and so far the Milwaukee has been my favorite. A jigsaw would be a welcomed addition to that set, and if you're new to power tools you'll probably be more comfortable with the jigsaw at first. Plus it's the right tool for lots of tasks....cutting curves to fit the odd shapes of a vehicle and like you mentioned, cutting out a sink hole.

Nice set, congrats!

If you're new to power tools, be sure to get some scrap lumber to practice on a bit. A sawzall is fun, but can be a bit unwieldy until you get the hang of it. A circular saw is an important tool for those long straight cuts, but I just don't like them, too loud, and they kick if you bind the blade, but some practice makes them a valuable addition. And as the others have said, a jigsaw is pretty much a necessity, I use one for almost everything.

All good advise on the jigsaw, if you buy one, be sure to get a good assortment of blades...its common to break a few blades especially if you cut metal with them.

Thanks guys! I am so excited - purdy bobbles!
OK will pick up a jigsaw and research (and stock up on) blades and drill and wrench bits.

This is why I chose Milwaukee:

He also has a video where he took the cheapest drills (around $30 ea) on Amazon and tested them - one caught fire!!!

I use a few Milwaukee tools at work. They're great tools, but not without their weaknesses. I actually have a small piece of, unfortunately, expensive advice for your new tool set. Get a third battery. The charging time on the batteries is slow, 40 minutes or so. The third battery will help you avoid forced breaks while waiting for a fresh battery from the charging station.

Awesome tools! I am getting ready to buy my first, too! Maybe this week sometime; I'm just about ready to put a floor in!

ValerieP said:
Awesome tools! I am getting ready to buy my first, too! Maybe this week sometime; I'm just about ready to put a floor in!

Valerie - Let me know what you think of them  :idea:

sephson said:
I use a few Milwaukee tools at work. They're great tools, but not without their weaknesses. I actually have a small piece of, unfortunately, expensive advice for your new tool set. Get a third battery. The charging time on the batteries is slow, 40 minutes or so. The third battery will help you avoid forced breaks while waiting for a fresh battery from the charging station.

Now that you've decided on the brand for the base cordless set, stick with that brand (buy tools on major holidays and Xmas if you can for a better price) as any additions need to use the same batteries (or bigger than what came standard but the same voltage and brand). 

You'll find knockoff batteries available on Amazon, the same as knockoff tires, shocks etc... Heck there's plenty of knockoffs that are ok quality. My k.o. DeWalt batteries were half the price and seem to last appx 3/4ths as long, and haven't failed yet (1 year) so they were ok. Just read reviews before you invest in them, or just buy the real thing.

I post about Harbor Freight occasionally but I would not recommend their battery powered tools as something that will last. With the very limited space a vandweller has, best to get something that will definately work vs. maybe not. Funds too.  With tools you generally "get what you pay for" if buying new, though there are exceptions. Watch YT tool reviews and you can decide for yourself.

Have fun playing with them!   :D