Bought a 1996 B3500 handicap van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonHo!

Reaction score
So after it got wicked cold here (about 0 degrees F) my Yukon security system went haywire and made me loose confidence in its abilities and so I decided to find something else. So my new project is this 1996 Dodge B3500 wagon van eith the 5.9 motor 125k miles!

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_121145.jpg
    IMG_20171230_121145.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20171230_121156.jpg
    IMG_20171230_121156.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20171230_132330.jpg
    IMG_20171230_132330.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 18
So far Ive done the basic tune up which was the easiest job ever!

Attachments

• IMG_20171231_095422.jpg
    IMG_20171231_095422.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 19
That is gonna be a nice rig for sure. Look at all that space!!! And stand up too!!!

Motrukdriver said:
That is gonna be a nice rig for sure.  Look at all that space!!!  And stand up too!!!

yep! im 6'2" and i have a couple inches to spare!

YukonHo! said:
So after it got wicked cold here (about 0 degrees F) my Yukon security system went haywire and made me loose confidence in its abilities and so I decided to find something else. So my new project is this 1996 Dodge B3500 wagon van eith the 5.9 motor 125k miles!

NICE!!

Looks perfect!

I was thinking of getting away from Dodge, and go to Chev, but I'd be willing to "Tough this out" :D

YukonHo! said:
So my new project is this 1996 Dodge B3500 wagon van eith the 5.9 motor 125k miles!

Nice. I have basically the same van minus the high top. I haven't started my build yet but have been accumulating the things I need to do so. I'll be following your build if you keep us updated. (maybe I'll get some good ideas)

I knew a guy that had one, and left the wheelchair-lift in the side door to use as a lift-gate. It was very handy.

Had same type van put 275k on it no problems except air fan .

Really nice score there and yeah tons of room! I'm thinking from the pics you might want to consider having the rear springs re arced or replaced. Little bit of sag and once you load it up, well you get my point.

MikeRuth said:
Really nice score there and yeah tons of room! I'm thinking from the pics you might want to consider having the rear springs re arced or replaced. Little bit of sag and once you load it up, well you get my point.

yeah it leans to the passenger side a bit also! theres a company here that will re make them for not a whole lot. like $200 each which is nice.

Seav said:
I knew a guy that had one, and left the wheelchair-lift in the side door to use as a lift-gate. It was very handy.

I took mine out and am donating it. it was just too much in the way and rattled alot!

Wanderer said:
I was thinking of getting away from Dodge, and go to Chev, but I'd be willing to "Tough this out" :D

Right! its probably the most ideal for me when it comes to space vs. mobility. I was actually looking at shuttle vans but they were just to big and not very efficient for cross country drives. This one just worked out!

I’ve pondered a wheelchair van for similar reasons. Great way to get a hi-top. I’ve pondered keeping the lift to use with a small motorcycle to store it inside. Not sure I want to give up that space though! Can always remove the lift too.

Really nice and HUGE! I just found out about Sumo (rear, 1500 lb.) springs that is a one time fix for rear end sag (plus about an hour of labor); and you got a lot of weight from specialized equipment I imagine. It would make yours look like a new van (mine too and mine is already new :-(

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/ssr-210-47-nv3500.html
(for my van above, but see if they have yours as well. They are popular - ??)

Nice find on your van!

Great find.  I bought a 1996 Ford E350 hightop that has a metal frame around the hightop when I tore all the interior out.  I hope yours has that too because it's great for attaching things too.  Have fun.

OK YukonHo! Thanks alot... I really liked my GMC Rally, but, now I'm rethinking that romance. Now I want a van like yours. That is really nice - love the hightop. You're going to have a great time with that.

I also have a Dodge 3500. Boy do I wish it had that high top. Just getting started on mine also. I'd be very interested to see your layout.