boondocking quartzite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderson5

Reaction score
so making the leap to go full time,will be my first time camping in the desert even though i will be going from my home base in roswell new mexico,lol.but anyways i have a ford freestar mini van i will be camping out of but i have a five gallon bucket to do my business in.heard that you have to be close to a pit toilet or whatever to stay there?i could buy a porta pot if i have to?i have no idea but want to be off jind of by myself for atleast the first 2 weeks just cause i need to so was wanting to camp at la posa south for the first month.is it very crowded in october or is it still plenty of space and is it still to hot to camp in october?used to mid 90s here

I was at La Posa South last October and it was too hot for me to be comfortable. By the end of the month it was starting to become more comfortable (tho still plenty hot).

At the LTVAs, you do need to be near a vault toilet if you do not have a permanently attached waste tank. If you are not planning to stay the winter on LTVAs ($180.00), you might consider staying on BLM land that is not an LTVA, but is plentiful in the area (free). Another option is buying a 2 week LTVA pass.

I will hit Quartzsite in early November this year. I've gotten spoiled and soft at my camp hosting gig -- AC and electric heat and a great big new goverernment truck to drive. Just the thought of sweating in the shade is stressful now lol

The distance-from-a-pit-toilet rule applies only to the LTVAs. The non-LTVA areas don't have pit toilets. So, places like Roadrunner, Scaddan Wash, Dome Rock, Hi Jolly, Plamosa Road and such are not only free, they're toilet free. However, there's a 14-day limit in the general Quartzsite area outside the LTVAs.

thunderson5 said:
so making the leap to go full time,will be my first time camping in the desert even though i will be going from my home base in roswell new mexico,lol.but anyways i have a ford freestar mini van i will be camping out of but i have a five gallon bucket to do my business in.heard that you have to be close to a pit toilet or whatever to stay there?i could buy a porta pot if i have to?i have no idea but want to be off jind of by myself for atleast the first 2 weeks just cause i need to so was wanting to camp at la posa south for the first month.is it very crowded in october or is it still plenty of space and is it still to hot to camp in october?used to mid 90s here

For the purposes of camping in an LTVA, a portapotti is exactly the same as a bucket toilet. If that's what you have, you are required to camp within 500 feet of a vault toilet. If you want to camp in the further reaches, you must have at least a 10-gallon tank that is permanently attached to the frame of your vehicle. 

I think it's too hot when it's in the 90s, so I don't plan on arriving until Thanksgiving or later. I'm very comfortable with daytime temps in the 60s.

The interesting thing about camping in a Quartzsite LTVA is that it's quite possible to be surrounded by  people and still live like a hermit. I have found that most RVers are very sensitive to my need for alone time.

Snowbirds and vendors usually don't start showing up until November. There seems to be a bump after Thanksgiving. Then things pick up in December, are crazy in January and February, start to taper off in March, the vendors pack up, and it's pretty dead by April.

So October to the middle of November, and March onward are good if you want to avoid the crowds/chaos and can tolerate some extra heat.

jacqueg said:
The interesting thing about camping in a Quartzsite LTVA is that it's quite possible to be surrounded by  people and still live like a hermit. I have found that most RVers are very sensitive to my need for alone time.

I know where you park! I’ll be over with a kazoo!

You caan easily stay on the 14 day limit BLM sites rhat surround the town around Quartzsite. There is a free garbage dump just north of the town, not open everyday. A number of places jn town have water vending machines so no problem getting drinking water.

There are several places to do laundry, one of them has showers. For half the price of the truck stop.

If it is too hot in Quartzsite go to northern Arizona towns and camp in the dispersed National Forest areas. That is where I am right now. The high temperature today is 79 with a nice afternoon breeze and lots of sunshine. . It is perfect weather. I will stay in the higher elevations AZ until it cools off i to the lower 80s there. It is not crowded after mid August with local camping folks because the kids are back in school and doing sports on the weekends. But it is still best when changing to a new campsite to do it from Sunday mid day thru Friday morning. You will then have lots of prime campsites to choose from.

well might try out safford if it is still way to hot in quartzite saw on youtube that there are a few places to disperse camp there and a little cooler atleast at night,lol

maki2 said:
There are several places to do laundry, one of them has showers.

Unlike showers at the truckstops, which are individual full bathrooms, the showers at the laundromat in question are just a shower — no sink or toilet. Those are in the mens'/women's restrooms. Also, the laundromat wants you to limit your shower time, the truck stops don't. . Unless the laundromat got new towels, the ones at truck stops are usually better. And the paper floor mats the laundromat uses are only good for sticking to your wet feet.

I boondocked in free areas - Quartzside, Lake Havasu and others last Jan through March. Incredible experience! 2003 Sprinter van I built out. Have self built composting toilet, worked perfect. Did sponge bath for 2 mo then made great shower. Suggest you do LVTA 1st year. Fee includes several LVTAs in AZ and CA. Well worth the $180.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

MrNoodly said:
Unlike showers at the truckstops, which are individual full bathrooms, the showers at the laundromat in question are just a shower — no sink or toilet. Those are in the mens'/women's restrooms. Also, the laundromat wants you to limit your shower time, the truck stops don't. . Unless the laundromat got new towels, the ones at truck stops are usually better. And the paper floor mats the laundromat uses are only good for sticking to your wet feet.

I got turned off to the laundromat due to a weird experience with the owner. Much happier with the truck stop. Much more confident that the truck stop shower is actually clean.

I am not going to oay twice the money for a better towel and bathmat. I never had any attendentvat the laudromat bug me about time. But then I am considerate as others might be waiting. But the best time to go to the laundromat when it is not going to be crowded is to go early in the morning. Not a luxury spa but plenty good enough for saving time by washing clothes and yourself at a single stop.

They also have a dog kennel, an outdoor patio and one time when I tried to buy a coffee at the restauarant next door they said no charge for it since I was doing laundry there. Not a great cup of coffee, but it was hot. I prefer strong, dark coffee versus light roasted, weak brews of cafe bean water. Spent too much too many years in Seattle ; )