Boondocking along columbia river

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdhg

Reaction score
hello,
I am researching Pikeminnow fishing and can't seem to find good information about camping along the river.
Has anyone boondocked along the Columbia River in Washington? or at Gifford Pinchot National Forest? Any information would be great.
Regards, Matt.

Thanx for that link, Tony&Karen!!

We're from Oregon and always looking for new places to camp!! :)

(I'm keeping that one on file!!)

Guy,
I read your post and was surprised it was the only post on the topic. thanks for the greeting!

Tony and Karen,
Thanks for the link it looks like there are some good options there.

I found another website with some campsites, boat ramps, and points of interest in the area. (the free camp sites are on islands) http://www.estuarypartnership.org/explore/water-trail

Regards, Matt.

Spending the night is allowed in the large Timberline Lodge parking lot on Mt. Hood. So many backpackers and mountain climbers use it that their are no rules against it. Beautiful views.

realspur62,

Thanks looks like a good spot. I wonder if they allow overnight parking during snowboard season too?

Regards, Matt

Be careful around that area... Hanford is our very first be least reactor site and is the biggest superfund site in the country. It is definitely leaching into the ground water and some say is leaching into the river itself. I would stay up river o Hanford if possible.

mdhg said:
realspur62,

Thanks looks like a good spot. I wonder if they allow overnight parking during snowboard season too?

Regards, Matt

I never have, but I am sure it  is done. Mt. Hood climbers go year round and must take off at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning. It would be impossible to have security or LEO's clear out the parking lot. Vehicle pass is required in the winter months, but is good for the season at all the ski areas.
I have stayed overnight 4-5 times. April-September. People come from all over the world.  24 hour heated restrooms. No RV hookups or dumps. Its just a really large parking area. Send me a PM if you are interested in boondocking in the Mt. Hood area. 

cdiggy,

Thanks for the heads-up, it is unfortunate we have to deal with those issues, I'm glad we are cleaning things up, maybe one day we'll all be able to enjoy eating fish from the river.
The snake river is upstream and is also part of the pikeminnow program, from what I've read and seen it is more remote, maybe there is less pressure on the fish? With the added benefit of less pollution.

realspur62,

sounds like a cool place to hang out glad to hear they are friendly to boondockers.

A boat might be necessary to catch a lot of fish, from what I've read they move around. A boat would be a major investment; and either pulling it around or finding a place to store it would be a major inconvenience.

Regards,
Matt.