Books on mushrooms, wild-eating, scavenging

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD GUMBEE

Reaction score
sitting on a river-bridge playing the banjo...
Years back, I saw a book that had a bunch of info on what you can and cannot eat in the wild.

A friend read it and would go out with a kids bucket, bring back vegetation to eat...and dried out spices and herbs picked from the wild.

Anyone read a good book that helped them do this?

Euell Gibbons is still the classic.

The Petersen guide to edible plants is also very helpful.

As for mushrooms, my view back in my hiking days was to avoid them all: the food value in a mushroom is negligible, and the consequences of a mistake are... NOT negligible.

Any of the Peterson Field guides for the appropriate zone would be helpful. I would suggest getting information from at least three separate sources if you're planning to prepare and consume wild foods. Especially fungi!

I like the suggestion of using 3 different sources. So many of these things look alike that it can be hard to distinguish one from the other, especially in different parts of the country as the look can be different. With mushrooms, in MI as a child we hunted them year after year without a problem, but Dad knew what he was doing and now, having traveled around, I would not even try to distinguish an edible from a toxic one. Gosh, best bet would always be to see someone with real life extensive knowledge give a presentation. Maybe youtube?