BobBski's Prep for launch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBski

Reaction score
With a launch date of March/April 2016 I made some progress this week.

First...thinning "The Stuff".  I went through 2 of the 3 bedrooms of the house, they're now empty.  Nothing made it to the keep pile, all sold, donated or trashed.

Second...got the house listed with a realtor friend this week.  Told him to price to sell, it's paid for and not greedy.  I'd be willing to give a very good deal to a young couple starting out.

Third....went down to Lowes and looked at a 3.5' X 5' trailer,  cost $429, not bad at all but hope to do better via Craigslist.

Fourth...have a sizable stack of paper on various plans to maximize space in Transit Connect.  Have a list started on what needs to be taken and what needs to be done i.e. Mail forwarder etc.

Fifth...head is saturated with solar info...power needed, individual item requirements, reading reviews on various items and brand names.

Sixth...having fun, can't wait to hit the road again.  My first morning I'll be sitting at the drivers counter at the local Truckstop for breakfast ...I've missed the comraderie.

BigT said:
Please post pics of your rig.  I'd love to see how you set it up.

Will do.  Right now just lots of drawings of various plans incorporating either a hitch rack or small enclosed trailer (3.5' w X 5' L X 2' H) so that the small van interior only has immediate essentials, minimizing clutter.

Yeah, finding room in that tiny little van is a real trick. My original idea was to get myself a small storage unit for the things I just couldn't live without but didn't have room to cary in the van. The more I think about it now, the more I think a Roadtrek may be in my future.

Well, I "constructed" my kitchen cooking area today  :D   Due to the limited space in a TC I opted for the Camp Chef Sherpa through Amazon.  It holds everything I need, lightweight and since I will cook outside most of the time, portable.  Legs collapse fully.

image.jpeg

Will easily secure in van and will attach my single burner Coleman on top., front zips closed.

Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Sherpa-Table/dp/B00CHC0AJK

Short 1:34 video. 

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 14
My bed will be in the form of two 3' cabinets...end to end making a 6' bed....18" couch surface, 13" storage underneath...extends out to 36" wide bed and being slatted will provide good aeration.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 28
BobBski said:
Well, I "constructed" my kitchen cooking area today  :D   Due to the limited space in a TC I opted for the Camp Chef Sherpa through Amazon.  It holds everything I need, lightweight and since I will cook outside most of the time, portable.  Legs collapse fully.

Will easily secure in van and will attach my single burner Coleman on top., front zips closed.

Amazon link http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Sherpa-Table/dp/B00CHC0AJK

Short 1:34 video. 

I got the gander mountain version of this for the other half for his birthday last September. (it was cheaper at the time but looks to be the exact same only green.) we LOVE it.

Well, have a bit of a change in plans.  First I've managed to empty the house and signing over the title/deed to my granddaughter and her husband to give them a great start on life.  Next I've finished my "stuff" minimalism.  The biggie though is that instead of converting the Transit Connect, I opted to go with a full size Transit Cargo Van.  Cargo area is 5' 10" wide X 10' long X 6' tall.  Build to begin within the week and plan on hitting the road 1 August.  Feeling GREAT!!!!  :D :D :D 

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
Nice! That's enough space to swing a cat by it's tail...at least, before you start adding stuff for conversion...

What a great thing to do for the young'ns! hopefully if ever need a place to crash / real street address / etc they'll be as generous to you
good luck with your build

Thanks everybody, it's an exciting time.  My challenge now is not to get carried away and just keep the build simple and functional.  I remind myself that for over 20 years I lived very comfortably in a sleeper cab truck.  :D

Here's a picture of cargo area.  The van came with a "cargo protection" package, thus the very sturdy black paneling throughout.  Each panel easily unscrews/detaches.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 36
Spent some money today  :rolleyes:  Swivel seat adaptor for passenger seat, Honda EU2000i generator, Fantastic fan and vent cover, battery box, insulated window shades, Dometic CF50 refrigerator, milk crates, back rest bed pillow with arms, 20 lb propane bottle, Coleman one burner stove, toilet, skeeter beaters, and a 16 oz stainless insulated French press coffee cup. Done for a bit  :huh: :huh: :p :)

Got a good start today on the build.  Built most of the cabinets, starting with the "garage" which will be accessible only from the rear doors.  Additional adjustable shelve(s) will be added to the two side units shown.
image.jpeg

When completed this will be air tight/separated from the front living area.  A shelving unit on each side and a center 23" wide and almost 6' tall closet.  The closet will host fishing rod racks and other taller items.  It will also give access to 1/2 the storage area under the bed.

The shelf above the generator host a small window air conditioner.  Panel to close it off from living has been made. Just waiting for a/c to arrive Thursday to cut out exact hole needed. Heat generated will be expelled out the rear door Windows which will open from the bottom.  A small fan will also be installed to assist expulsion if necessary.  Any excess water will drain into catch pan.  The panel for the center closet, which will bind all together, has also been cut but won't be attached until after polyurethaning everything and final install.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
Here's the bed going in for initial fit.  70" X 39"

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 31
Here's a better view of under the bed storage from the rear doors.  The open area above will be enclosed and be the back wall for the tall cabinet.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17