From tiny house on wheels to tiny teardrop as a snowbird. Woot!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozmyrrah

Reaction score
No, I'm keeping my THOW, but hitting the road with a home-made teardrop made by a retired engineer who wanted to see the lower 48. When he was done, he passed it on to me, so I can go to the van-build in November. I'll be bringing my power tools and sewing machine for various projects to help on this insanely great project, starting November 8th. 

Having lived out of a hatchback and a tent for a summer, trying to find a healthy place to live and recover a little from brain damage, I found out right away about how less is more. Three bins kept my life together: one for the tent and bedding, one for the stove and all related items, and one for clothing, music, books, and everything else. 

That was the best summer of my life. Freedom for the first time in 50 years. Amazing. 

So, now, i live in a tiny house on wheels, and am downsizing for a while to trailer and car camping. I'll be leaving my trailer for a week or so at a time to go exploring just the same way as before, but with a few mod cons. 

No solar. Nope. Too pricey as yet, and too much to take care of and worry about theft. I can't afford that. So, I cut my needs to what I can run off my car battery. 

I bought a countertop ice-maker to chill my 5-day cooler. No fridge needed, nor solar panels to keep it going. It only draws 110 watts, and can make a pound of ice in an hour. Not bad, I'd say, and cheaper than buying it every few days. And, if kept in a container, can be used as fresh water for drinking, or refrozen instead of tossed on the ground as 'dirty.' Bonus is that your food isn't swimming in water. No muss, no fuss. 

Pocket-sized brick batteries charge phone, tablet, immersible shower pump, headlamp, radio, headphones, a fan, and fairy lights. Yes, all of them run off usb. Recharging them all, including the bricks, off the car, or in a library or coffee shop is the plan when I'm moving. 

The toilet system I've set up is cheap, compact, odor-free, and indoors. Doesn't look like a 'bucket toilet' either, because it's not. (I'll post details eslewhere.) Ah, convenience. 

In age, I'm  20ºC, and getting hotter every year, so the Southwest is only for me in the winter. This is my first time trying out being a snowbird. I call the PNW home only in the sunnier months, from now until I can't drive any more. I figure that I have a while, yet. 

Who knows? Life is either a great adventure, or nothing. 

Oz

Sounds like a plan. 

I will say this, the typical countertop ice maker's quality and quantity of ice is ok for drinks but is not sufficient for keeping perishable food 'refrigerated' in an ice chest/cooler, unless you are camping in cold ambient temps.

But your other plans sound good....carry on...

Welcome to the CRVL forums Oz! Sounds like you have everything worked out and you're well prepared for more adventures. Let us know how the van build experience goes!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Oz
 Welcome to the Forum 

I just built my own TTT this last March. I have been running around the North East with it ever since. I'm not running a house battery or solar ether. It is definitely doable charging everything driving the car in the day. But I will be headed to the desert South West in winter and I'll have to stop running around so much gas costs are too high to maintain. I think I am giving in and starting to figure out some sort of solar battery setup. 
I'm interested in your indoor odor-free toilet I'll be looking for your thread on it. 

Buster

Hey, Buster!

"headed to the desert South West in winter"

Me, too. Will you be there in November for the van build? I'm from NE, but now, PNW. Need winter sunshine!!!
Have a suggestion for where to post the potty? lol

Oz

Welcome and so cool you have your plan all set up and raring to go!! Enjoy the heck out of your snowbirding!!