BobBski 2016

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we made it into Michigan, but only 17 miles.  The girls wouldn't let me pass by Cabelas in Dundee, they said we need a better quilt or sleeping bag.  Think we'll take advantage of their free RV and truck overnight parking.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for posting all these details and pics of your Transit, Bob. Looks fantastic!

Home improvement project of the day... instead of bungees to hold in the drawers while traveling, I got some small, adjustable and tensioned curtain rods and used them.  There is a wood lip, top and bottom to prevent the rod from sliding and the drawer units are attached with screws and washers in the back and at the bottom.  Each rod cost $1.97.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
Presently in Bay City, Mi. where I'll be until Thursday morning.  Bought a 72 hour fishing license and going to set out a line while I tweak some more on the van.  Life is good.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 17
Good supper tonight.  Sourdough bun, salami, turkey, cheddar and Swiss cheese, bit of mayo and mustard...side of potato salad and some sweet tea.  Life is good.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Good idea with the curtain rods, reminds me of the locking rod setup on most ell cheapo rollaway tool boxes

Now that you are on the road with the Transit, I was wondering how your additions to the interior improved (or worsened) the interior noise/harshness vs. the empty van - this is something I am wondering about for my build as I get annoyed by squeaks, rattles an the occasional thumps if I can't figure out where they are coming from! :)

so I take it with the dinner you had, the fishing was a bust. lol. highdesertranger

Is it annoying to remove the curtain rods each time you want to get at something in the drawers?

AngryVanMan said:
Now that you are on the road with the Transit, I was wondering how your additions to the interior improved (or worsened) the interior noise/harshness vs. the empty van - this is something I am wondering about for my build as I get annoyed by squeaks, rattles an the occasional thumps if I can't figure out where they are coming from! :)

As with all heavy duty vehicles, this being a 2500, the ride smoothed out tremendously once all loaded.  No handling issues either.  Can't hear as much of the road noise either.

As far as rattles, can't stand them either :) so when I pack I pack accordingly.  Nothing swinging or loose, no metal on metal etc.  Had one annoying squeak where a cabinet was rubbing the wall; corrected.  I had a friend drive me around and I road in back listening for anything annoying.  Well worth the effort.

highdesertranger said:
so I take it with the dinner you had,  the fishing was a bust.  lol.  highdesertranger

Shush, lol, you weren't supposed to notice.

SUV_RVing said:
Is it annoying to remove the curtain rods each time you want to get at something in the drawers?

None whatsoever, they're only in place while I'm driving.  Once I stop, I remove them for the duration.  When time comes to leave camp putting them into place just becomes one of the pre trip tasks such as making sure everything's put away.  The rods aren't hard to use at all, there's no brackets or screws, just compression fit.

Loving the little pressure cooker, boils water for coffee in half the time.  That silver cup with handle sticking up is a French press 16 oz coffee cup.  Pour in your hot water, add/stir in coffee grounds, screw on lid making sure handle for strainer is up.  Then let sit about 4 minutes before slowly compressing down the plunger.  This separates the grounds from the water and pins them to the bottom.  Life is good.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 26
BobBski said:
None whatsoever, they're only in place while I'm driving.  Once I stop, I remove them for the duration.  When time comes to leave camp putting them into place just becomes one of the pre trip tasks such as making sure everything's put away.  The rods aren't hard to use at all, there's no brackets or screws, just compression fit.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks!

Really enjoy reading this thread. Your van looks great and your meandering makes me want to be out there. RIGHT. NOW. I was going to suggest a stop in Ripley Ohio at the Rankin House if you were following the Ohio River south but then I saw you were headed north. The view of the river from there is spectacular!

So, how big is your pressure cooker and how long does it take to boil water in it? I'm still learning about pressure cookers. We've got a couple french presses but I hadn't seen one that is directly a cup before---too cool. :)

Thanks! :)

anewbiewannabe said:
So, how big is your pressure cooker and how long does it take to boil water in it?

Thanks glad you're enjoying it...me too lol.  The pressure cooker is 1.5 quarts.  I bought it to cook things quicker...today was first time I decided to use it for my coffee water.  I didn't actually time it but it definitely works quick...I had 32 oz of water boiling before I was really ready for it.

Another fishless day in Bay City Mi., this sudden change in temps has them lockjawed for the moment.  Think I might make up some grilled pepperjack cheese and ham sandwiches for supper.  Life is good.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 12
Many thanks for the successful experiment with the compression curtain rod!

I started off using the screw in hooks and eyes to latch the drawers in place in the pantry but I have 2 now that are repeatedly coming loose. I'm using a metal yardstick right now but it's not quite the right size and a PITA to put in and out.

Compression curtain rod is on the shopping list... :)

Glad something I did helped somebody, I've been a HUGE mooch for ideas on this forum. All the best

Pretty much finished my garage today, the cargo carrier is my shed.  Sorted through and organized all tools and fishing gear.  Lots of space under bed (1/2) for pod, tackle bags etc., all tools on right side, additional fishing gear on left.  I added 4 door handles today, in center closet, to secure longer stand up stuff with adjustable/locking cargo straps.  Door handles were $1.50 ea and straps were $2.98 a pair at Home Depot.  Straps are 8' long so the closet can be filled  :p

Enough to keep me happy...life is good. :D
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 34