BobBski 2016

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like having a privacy curtain (insulated/blackout) vs a bulkhead with a door.  One, it allows for a more open feeling when open and two, has the added advantage of a very comfortable recliner (swivel passenger seat). 
 image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 42
It also allows for a TV tray table while in the recliner.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
And when privacy is desired, I just close the curtain.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 25
Made some improvements today; mounted smoke/carbon monoxide alarm, fire extinguisher and paper towel rack.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 34
Also at the foot end of the bed, added another shelf 39" W X 19" H X 17" deep.  Still keeps AC/microwave window open.  29" clearance between top of mattress and bottom of shelf.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 36
Extremely happy with the Stowaway carrier.  Items such as chair, table, dog playpen etc. fit nicely.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 35
Here's a picture of new clothes shelf as seen while lying on pillow?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 40
Bob,  I'm really enjoying your thread.  Is it OK for me to ask you lots of questions here?   

Love the photos, but when I click the thumbnails, they are absolutely enormous.  Is there any way for you (or for me) to resize so I can see the whole image on my screen at one time?

I'm interested to learn more about people living on stern wheelers on Ohio river.  I've never been to that part of the country, so never heard of such a thing.  Do they just float up and down the river?  Or dock permanently in one spot?  What sort of paperwork and fees are required to do that?    Doesn't it flood in that part of the world in the springtime sometimes?  What do they do, then?  How do they get out to the grocery store or the doctor?  Do they have a dock with a parking spot for a vehicle?   

Your little dogs look very calm and happy.  Are they having any adjustment issues settling into the new lifestyle?   What are the pain points with taking them on the road, or are there any?  

How is your build working out?  I love seeing all the little tweaks you are making.   I think it's so cool to have the passenger seat swivel around to double as your lounge chair.  How comfy is that seat?  I'm planning to do the same thing, but wonder how it will compare to my Lazy Boy here at home.   Do you have a way to put your feet up?    

I appreciate your comment about not having a bulkhead, and have been trying to decide about that, too.  Did you think about putting in only a partial bulkhead behind the driver's seat?  I'm wondering whether I ought to consider doing that, just for a bit of driver safety, and maybe to have something to attach cabinets to on that side, but I hate to close off the space more than I have to.  

I also wanted to ask how the top loading Dometic is doing for you.   Even though those fridges seem very well designed and practical, I still think I want to go with a more traditional front opening fridge with a separate freezer compartment.   But I worry that I'm just being sentimental, and maybe not so practical.   Do you miss having a separate freezer?

Do you have a sink?  Gray water tank?  How do you handle water-related tasks?  Washing up, teeth brushing, etc.?

I like the clothes shelf you built at the foot of your bed.  Did you build that on the road?   What tools are carrying with you?

Again, I hope you don't mind all the questions.   If I'm out of line posting here in your thread, please let me know.

Love the photos, but when I click the thumbnails, they are absolutely enormous. Is there any way for you (or for me) to resize so I can see the whole image on my screen at one time?

Depending on what browser you are using, hitting Ctrl - or Ctrl + should zoom in and out.

Tussah, hopefully answer all your questions tomorrow. :)
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 36
Nice n quiet in Caledonia Ohio.  In route to Wisconsin by way of Michigan.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 22
The girls love the sun.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 15
Tussah said:
--I'm interested to learn more about people living on stern wheelers on Ohio river.

Youd be better served researching those things on the Internet and getting their answers.  Living on the river is not an area of expertise I possess:) 

--Are they having any adjustment issues settling into the new lifestyle?   What are the pain points with taking them on the road, or are there any?  

Ive had the pups for 8 years.  They sleep in a meshed carrier I have seat belted to the passenger seat.  No pains, but not wanting to have them swelter in the vehicle I shop at night and basically avoid all situations of leaving them alone on a very hot day.  But, they're my favorite company anyway :)
[quote pid='226803' dateline='1474462919']

--How is your build working out?  

Very satisfied so far.  More than sufficient storage.  Just arranging things and remembering where I put them :)
[/quote]
[quote pid='226803' dateline='1474462919']

--I also wanted to ask how the top loading Dometic is doing for you?

Love it.  Had to adjust it til got the wanted inside temp.  Little bit of difference between set and actual temp.  I prefer the chest as can get more in it by just piling stuff on itself.  Also, cold air sinks.  Regular refrigerator spills out its cold air, chest doesn't.  At least that's what they say.  It also uses berry little battery.

--Do you have a sink?  Gray water tank?  How do you handle water-related tasks?  Washing up, teeth brushing, etc.?

Just 5 gal of water and a large bowl/basin.

--I like the clothes shelf you built at the foot of your bed.  Did you build that on the road?   What tools are carrying with you?

i carry a good assortment of automotive tools, a handsaw and a cordless drill.  I was on the road but stopped at my brothers to do the clothes shelf.
[/quote]

Woke up to a terrible odor this morning and searched high n low for the source, the smell was familiar. When I went to switch the fan from blow to exhaust I found the culprit...a stink bug, stupidly, must have tried to enter the van last night, through the running fan, he didn't make it in one piece. Had to pull the screen and clean the blades. Sure hope that doesn't happen often Hahaha. Have a great weekend all.

do you not have a vent cover over the fan? might be a good idea to instal one

Art W.  Do you not have a vent cover over the fan? might be a good idea to instal one
------
Yes but the vent cover needs to be open for the fan to run.  I also have the bigger vent cap cover that allows me to run it in the rain.  The screen between the fan blade and van interior is the only bug protection.  It's a Fantastic Fan...same protection as every other owner.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 22
A difference between Maxair and Fantastic covers. May just have to add a piece of screen :)

I don't know if mine is a Maxxaire or not, I just used that picture to not the part I was referencing, my actual Vent is unpowered and generic
I tried looking to see what brand of cap i actually have, but I saw no logo, and the top of my roof is tarped due to a leak, so i couldn't see that well

Both the MaxxAir and the Camco covers have screens on the vertical opening which apparently the Fantastic Fan unit doesn't have.

I looked at both the above when I was buying the vent and asked about the difference other than price (MaxxAir was considerably more expensive). The answer - MaxxAir has the name recognition!

Also, Camco screen is removable from the outside for access to vent unit where the MaxxAir has to be completely removed if you need in there for anything.