Bob made me do it...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wayne49 said:
HTTP 404 is a resource not found.

I suspect by your comment, that you took too long to compose the post, and the "resource" timed out, then when you hit POST, the server's link to the temporary post was dead and gone, resulting in 404.

Solution: to compose a lengthy post, if you must, do it offline in a notepad editor, then paste into the browser, review, then hit POST.
Yup I'm familiar with what 404 is. My first thought was the site was glitching or timed out (neither was the case even with simple cut and paste). As stated it turned out the post was too long and had to be cut up into pieces (even had to re-cut one section after to get it to work). Looks like there's an undisclosed character max (usually done with a max/current character count at the bottom of the window) Anyway got it posted, problem solved. Thanks.

wayne49 said:
To prewarm the engine, I once put charcoal in an oven pan and slid the glowing coals under the block. Replaced the end of life battery that was the root of the issue.
Ah yes, all the fun work arounds of VW's! I once lost all electric in my bug going down the autobahn running flat out peddle to the floor at 60mph (MAYBE 65 down hill) in the middle of the night. No lights, no engine, nothing. Quickly popped it out of gear and coasted off the road. Wire broke off from the voltage regulator. A candle for light (luckily didn't set anything on fire), a hose clamp to secure the wire back to the broken termination, and a dime for a screw driver later I made it the rest of the way to Schweinfurt for a weekend of D&D and back home for a real fix.

Hmmm lets see all told I've owned or driven my mom's 67 split window transporter, my mom's (later mine) 67 split window camper, my grandfather's 75 camper, a 68 type III square back that I had for a few months but couldn't get to pass MD inspections, a 70 beetle that we taught just about every kid in the neighborhood to drive stick in, a 65 beetle (6v used Bundespost [German post office] car) that I bought in Germany to get around while I was stationed there, and my current 73 super beetle that I picked up about 2 years ago. The only one that ever had decent heat was the 75 camper.

Truth be told though I've always been partial to the Partridge Family bus.

I’ll take the Partridge family bus if the oldest daughter comes with it. Heck I’d even take Shirley Jones since she and I are old she could just sing love songs to me.

nature lover said:
I’ll take the Partridge family bus if the oldest daughter comes with it. Heck I’d even take Shirley Jones since she and I are old she could just sing love songs to me.
Oh Keith, but the bus first, LOL!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Fandrel64,
D&D referring not to Dungeons and Dragons, instead Drunk and Disorderly?

For a grand tour of Switzerland, I had rented a small Toyota. It was interesting drafting (at a safe distance, one doesn't need to be right on the rear end ala NASCAR) along the Swiss Autobahnen/autoroutes/autostrade highway system. Then the lead car would take an exit resulting in a significant drop in velocity, but another one would come along.

I almost always use the Quick Reply method, unless I am posting an image, not familiar with the limitations.

wayne49 said:
....... drafting (at a safe distance, one doesn't need to be right on the rear end ala NASCAR) ....

You do if you're on a motorcycle.

Nope Dungeons and Dragons. When I was going through tech school at Lowry AFB in Denver CO we had a group of about 7-9 of us who played every weekend from when we got out of class on Friday morning until we went back to class on Monday evening (the school ran 4 shifts and we went to class midnight to 6 am) with a break on Saturday mornings to watch original Star Trek (sometimes we'd do other things like ski trips etc but it was always generally as our little family unit). When I got to Germany several years later it turned out that 5 of us were all stationed there scattered in a few different locations so for the couple years that we were all located close together on long weekends we'd all make the trek and get back together to play (including a Star Trek break).