Blog Post: Diagnosing a no start, no crank condition

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretebox

Reaction score
I'm posting here you others can learn from my experience/mistakes. The takeaway is to treat problems before they leave you stranded and also to learn and follow diagnosing procedures. I really lucked out here and I was "stranded" in my home base driveway.

http://jamesandskippy.blogspot.com/

glad you learned a lesson and it wasn't to inconvenient. replacing parts that are not bad(a lot times with lessor quality parts) is a common mistake. you should only replace a part once it has been diagnosed as bad. highdesertranger

I am piss-poor (piss. poor.) at diagnostics.
Particularly when the problem is intermittent!!!

The last problem that I had took me months to figger out.
- new plugs (hey 150+K miles, "plugs are due anyway")
- new plug wires (hey, that wasnt as cheap as I thought it would be!)
- ohm out the thingies on the do-hoppers (also known as the ignition coil & secondary coil impedance)(these suckers so exceeded the specifications I thought that somehow they were the problem. sheeze, that was twisting me)

Guess what it was!! Right! How did you know??? I wish I would have guess that it was a leaking coolant-hose (at the firewall) dripping down into plug-well number 3.

Sheeze !!!

Diagnosing is what sets professionals apart from parts-changers. Systematic diagnosing is a very hard concept for most people. I like to refer to Eric the Car Guy as well. He does a good job.

In the Navy tech schools, "easter egging" was highly frowned upon. They made us really think and make a real diagnosis. But sometimes it can be hard.

gsfish, that reminds me of a particularly great example as well. I have lots of examples, but this one is awesome:

When I was in college, I had a job detailing cars for a car rental agency. The agency was located inside a new car dealership which also had its own mechanics and shop area. Several of the mechanics had decades of experience and ALL sorts of certifications. They were a very competent group with access to tens of thousands of dollars of diagnostic equipment.

A man I happened to know, as he was taking the same college courses as me, purchased a used Blazer from the dealership. His new vehicle developed high-idling problems with it several days later. That's a bummer, but it happens with mechanical things. He brought it back and they fixed it under warranty.

A couple weeks later same thing. He brought it back in and they fixed it again.

A couple weeks later same thing. He was becoming upset. The mechanics put their minds together and fixed it again.

A couple weeks later same thing. Now he was getting quite upset. He's missing work and school because of this. The mechanics talked about it at length and fixed it. Finally!

Nope! A couple weeks later same thing. The Blazer was worse than ever; it now idled along at a brisk 45 mph. While the owner of the Blazer and the owner of the dealership were having a mildly heated discussion, a crowd of the best mechanics stopped what they were working on and stood in a semi-circle around the Blazer discussing at great length what the problem could possibly be. After several minutes an old man, slightly hunched over, walked up to and through the crowd of the shop's best. (Only an old dude could get away with this. I can't wait to get that old so I can do stuff like that! Lol.)

Wordlessly, he looks at the engine while it is idling. He pulls a Bic lighter from his denim overalls, holds it close to where the intake manifold and the engine block meet, then proceeds to walk the flame around the seam. Eventually the flame was sucked into the engine. The intake gasket was leaking!

Without looking up he quietly pocketed his lighter, walked into the lobby, and took a seat. Less than an hour later the truck was running fine and stayed that way.

For you neophytes, this is a common condition for many vehicles, especially for this particular year and model of engine, 4.3 liter, as it used a plastic gasket instead of a real one. I wouldn't be surprised if it had a recall. Air intake leaks are super easy to observe and diagnose for almost any type of engine from chainsaws to trucks.

Had my own 'won't start' problem today. It actually began yesterday, with the minivan being a bit balky cranking to go to my Mom's place. (My big E150 van is there, while I work on it.)
Got there okay, then after dark I go to crank up to return home - "Ruh Roh!" The infamous "Death Rattle" clicking. I immediately think, likely the battery, but t's less than a year and a half old!
I break out the jumper unit (love that gadget!) and get it started.
This morning, I go out to check the minivan - yep, death rattle! I had to recharge the jumper a bit, then got it cranked.
Drove directly to the local "Battery Source" on the other side of town. He check it, and the verdict was 'bad battery'. The date had it pegged at 15 months in my vehicle. It had replaced another battery that also died before it's time. Only had to pay $23 this time (prior replacement was free). I discussed the situation with the tech, and we agreed that these newer vans, with electronic/computer control of everything, and the electric opening/closing doors, power windows, etc (great conveniences) mean a lot of wear on that battery! I will try to break myself of relying on those electric gadgets so much. He also suggested getting the battery serviced every six months or so (it's free).