Biolite Camp Stove.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot S

Reaction score
I don't think I can post outside links yet but I saw a pretty interesting product called the "Biolite Camp Stove."  Find it easy enough of a google search. Pretty neat idea. Might get one to try after. If anyone has one please let us know what you think!

The thought of always needing wood would push me away from it. I also have a car not a van and wouldn't want to carry it around with me. What would you also do when it is pouring out? It would be hard at times to use it. Interesting yes but would I like it probably not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

can't use during a burn ban which is most of the west in summer and fall. highdesertranger

While I wouldn't buy the Biolite, I like to keep a small wood-burning stove with me as backup. Even a hobo stove would be better than nothing if you ran out of your regular stove fuel. And using the wood stove where wood is available would extend the use of your manmade-fuel stove.

I like the Biolite stove. But it has more limitations than a butane or propane stove. It can't be used in a van or other vehicle. It won't help if it's raining. And it has to be used in an area where burning is allowed and where there is appropriate material to burn. Where I live in the upper Midwest, it can usually be used in places where camping is allowed, weather permitting. Still, my Coleman camp stove and Jetboil mini mo are quicker and easier. But there's something nice about about real fire, even a small one.

^now that right there was an excellent review. thank you Kevin. highdesertranger

I believe there are cheaper models available. I use a 20lb propane tank and it is very cheap to run for cooking. A wood powered hot water heater system would be pretty cool.

highdesertranger said:
can't use during a burn ban which is most of the west in summer and fall.  highdesertranger

I thought I read that enclosed stoves were allowed in some areas.  Don't know, though.

anything with an open flame must have a shut off valve that instantly shuts the flame off. even Charcoal BBQ's are prohibited. highdesertranger

Kevin Carney said:
I like the Biolite stove. But it has more limitations than a butane or propane stove. It can't be used in a van or other vehicle. It won't help if it's raining. And it has to be used in an area where burning is allowed and where there is appropriate material to burn. Where I live in the upper Midwest, it can usually be used in places where camping is allowed, weather permitting. Still, my Coleman camp stove and Jetboil mini mo are quicker and easier. But there's something nice about about real fire, even a small one.

Absolutely. And since most of us camp because we enjoy the camp life, I can see making room for a portable firepit, depending on where you're going and when you're going there.

Okay, this thread sent me down an Internet rabbit hole and this is what clicked for me. I like the ambience of a fire but am not too keen on hauling/collecting firewood, especially in the desert.

So, you take a used tuna fish can and cut a strip of corrugated cardboard and coil inside the can. Then fill the can with melted wax and let it set up.

It could certainly be used as a stove under a grate but I will use it as a small ambience- creating flame that is simple to put out and simple to make wherever I might find myself.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk