Bike Rack info needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serenity

Reaction score
I am getting ready to travel again, with my adult daughter and she wants to bring her mountain bike. I have no idea about bike racks and need any info I can get on that. Is there a rack that will hang on my back doors, or do I need to attach something with bolts? I have a 95 chevy van, and it is pretty simple but very tall. We are both very much on the short side (5' 0"), in fact I have a step stool to get in the van. I have done some searching, but don't want something permanent, is there a temporary option? It still needs to be secure, but I am just not sure where to start here with my lack of knowledge on the subject. Anything would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

if you have a trailer hitch receiver several companies make bike racks for those. highdesertranger

Does your Van have a spare tire mounted on one of the back doors ? ( a ladder on the other door? )  It may make a bicycle rack  on the back a bit 
of a challenge.  What HDR is suggesting may be usable if it you have the receiver hitch....and.....the bicycle rack that mounts into that hitch has a long enough reach to fasten in and extend out past a door mounted spare tire.  A welder could modify such a rack easily for you.  

If you were to choose a front bumper mounted  rack those are inexpensive and common. 

https://regim.info/en/how-to-use-the-service/bike-rack/

If you have a spare tire on the back there are racks that mount to the spare tire

30188065241fe9fa93e0068bb9605ae2

My van does not have a ladder, a spare tire on the door or a hitch. Just doors back there.

I have historically transported my bike or bikes inside my vehicle! One you learn to break them down it’s not as big a deal as many think! A folding bike is the easiest to transport of course, but many full sized bikes aren’t too bad!

Now that I’m also transporting kids bikes that don’t breakdown easily I’m considering a rack.

When I buy one I will be looking at those than fit my 2” hitch receiver! I haven’t zeroed in on one by any means, but the receiver hitch mounted ones will be most useful for me!

SD

Put a hitch receiver on and travel with a bike rack, once stopped pull it out and install a hitch mount step 2 problems one solution.

You could take your van to a bicycle shop and see what they recommend.

Just contact someone at one of the bike rack companies for advice. The companies below make top quality racks.

Here is the Thule rack website page with a list of the bike racks suitable for various models of vans.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/van-accessories/bike-racks

This is the Fiamma USA web site and it shows racks for Vans lower down on the page
https://www.fiammausa.com/en/carry-bike-en

These are the hitch mount racks from Yakima
https://www.yakima.com/activity/bike?mount_location=52

A rack that mounts into the hitch receiver that can swing to the side so you can open your rear doors is an outstanding option for convenience but a pricey one $$ especially if you don't already have a hitch installed.

For the prices I'm seeing on these things,  I'd bet you could make something just as good for less than $20 bucks.  Using bent electricians conduit tubing, some mounting  hardware, and nylon strap.  (and some of those plastic coated garage wall mounts for the bike frame to rest on )

Just food for thought but I was fortunate and found this rack at a thrift store.

Attachments

• 20191007_102919_resize_88.jpg
    20191007_102919_resize_88.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20191007_103054_resize_68.jpg
    20191007_103054_resize_68.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 8
Bikeforums dot net is probably the number 1 forum for biking...to ask further or get ideas.

I have several bicycles. I used to mount the road bikes on top of the car with a Yakima rack. Road bikes are lightweight. I purchased a hitch mounted rack when I started mountain biking. I have a Kuat bike rack. My mountain bike was around 2,000. I will not leave it on the hitch. Most people don't know how to ride a road bike with the funny handlebars, etc., so although that can easily cost 3-7,000 they are relatively safe on top of the car. Putting bikes on a hitch rack make them more accessible for thieves. Mountain bikes are more often stolen. Young guys, college kids, and most other people feel more comfortable on a regular bike. I don't let my mountain bike out of my sight. It is locked on the rack, but with portable tools, most chains and locks are useless. I keep my bikes inside the van. The only bikes I would keep on a hitch overnight are our granny bikes, my cruiser and my husband's Townie. If your daughter has an expensive bike, you might want to keep it inside.

One of the reasons I got a folding electric bike (RadMini) is so it can be secured inside the vehicle out of site, sort of crazy since I live remote and have never had anything stolen.

Latest posts