Beware when cooking

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobilesport

Reaction score
Just wanted to point out that i saw hooking a Coleman cooker to a 20# tank
using the Mr heater hose can cause too much pressure build up and cause a fire.
Pictures of the stuff I'm talking about.

Attachments

• coleman-1-burner-bottle-mnt-prpn-101048-1.jpg
    coleman-1-burner-bottle-mnt-prpn-101048-1.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 15
I wonder how that is possible. those little bottles are high pressure. so that means that stove either runs off of high pressure or there is a regulator built into the stove. I am not saying it's a good idea, as those stoves are very unstable anyway and the bottle and plastic base helps keep it stable. got a link. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I wonder how that is possible.  those little bottles are high pressure.  so that means that stove either runs off of high pressure or there is a regulator built into the stove.  I am not saying it's a good idea,  as those stoves are very unstable anyway and the bottle and plastic base helps keep it stable.  got a link.  highdesertranger

I don't know but what happened when using the 20 # tank is that the flame slowly got bigger and bigger until it started coming up around the skillet to a point that it became obvious that the flame was way too much and then made a poof sound and the flame was about a foot higher then the skillet but remained that size , I stayed calm and watched it very briefly and then reached and turned the gas off at the 20# tank , then the flame kept burning and I picked the cooker up ( it was mounted in a small box) and i carried it away from my van about ten feet and set it down , about the time I set it down the flame fizzled out on it's own
It was never in my van when hooked to the 20# tank but I cook all the time in there with 1lb green bottles.
I went back to the 1lb green bottles and all seems fine but I'm ready to replace it with something else.

I don't know what the issue is all about but I do know that the makers of Coleman sell hoses with built in adapters for using some of the propane powered cookstove and lanterns with the large tanks.

As pointed out the stove in the photo is not one that is suitable for use with the hose because it screws directly onto a 1lb cylinder to support the stove. There is no way to support the stove except for that cylinder.

The portable propane stoves that has a hose have the cooking heat regulated at the stove. The only time the regulator on the large tank is used is to turn the gas on and off. The flame on the stove is turned off and on with the control built into the stove.

gsfish said:
Yes, the pressure would be the same in a #20 tank or a #1 if temperatures were equal. I'm not familiar with the hose but would guess it's just a straight through hose to allow using the bigger, refillable bottle over the smaller disposable.

That said I don't see how you could use the hose on that type of stove since it relies on the #1 bottle for support.

Guy
If what you say is true I better throw that cooker away and not even use green bottles, but it has been working right on the green bottles, don't want to take no chances though.
It was a cold night when it happened, i believe that 20# tank was only half full .
Wouldn't there be more pressure when there is more propane stuffed inside?

"Wouldn't there be more pressure when there is more propane stuffed inside?"

no it's a larger tank, that is why it holds more not the pressure. the pressure is the same. when you say it was Mounted in a box. how was that done? maybe that was the issue.

highdesertranger

maki2 said:
I don't know what the issue is all about but I do know that the makers of Coleman sell hoses with built in adapters for using some of the propane powered cookstove and lanterns with the large tanks. 

As pointed out the stove in the photo is not one that is suitable for use with the hose because it screws directly onto a 1lb cylinder to support the stove. There is no way to support the stove except for that cylinder.

The portable propane stoves that has a hose have the cooking heat regulated at the stove. The only time the regulator on the large tank is used is to turn the gas on and off. The flame on the stove is turned off and on with the control built into the stove.
I have it mounted in a box , the hose from the 20# tank went inside of this box , I put the green bottle back in the box now though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191223-002628.png
    Screenshot_20191223-002628.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 31
Maybe the 20# tank was empty even though you were assuming it was half full. These things do happen :)

I wouldn't of been able to have a fire if the tank was empty ,  I weigh my tanks , it weighed 20#  ,  the tank weighs 10 # and it had 10# of propane in it.

what kind of tank do you have that weighs 10# empty? most standard BBQ tanks(5 gal, 20#) weigh almost 20# empty. so if your tank weighed 20# it was close to empty. highdesertranger

On the small stove the burner screws directly onto the brass valve...……….if the fitting is loose at all...…. the gas will flare under the burner

Just tighten the burner...RightyTighty…..There are no seals/O-rings/gaskets...….the Box looks dangerous

highdesertranger said:
"Wouldn't there be more pressure when there is more propane stuffed inside?"

no it's a larger tank,  that is why it holds more not the pressure.  the pressure is the same.  when you say it was Mounted in a box.  how was that done?  maybe that was the issue.

highdesertranger

In this box and the hose went in and under instead of the green bottle 

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191223-002628.png
    Screenshot_20191223-002628.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 9
highdesertranger said:
what kind of tank do you have that weighs 10# empty?  most standard BBQ tanks(5 gal,  20#) weigh almost 20# empty.  so if your tank weighed 20# it was close to empty.  highdesertranger
I think your wrong about the weight , I used to weigh tanks alot and a 20# 5 gal propane tank was always 10 lbs empty , around 30 lbs when full  but the filler guy would never fill them all the way.
When they have 20 lbs stamped on the tank that means that it will hold 20 # of propane in the tank that weighs 10 # .
So a full tank weighs 30#

abnorm said:
On the small stove the burner screws directly onto the brass valve...……….if the fitting is loose at all...…. the gas will flare under the burner

Just tighten the burner...RightyTighty…..There are no seals/O-rings/gaskets...….the Box looks dangerous

I did have the fitting tightened !
If it did leak it would have had to leak upwards through that small hole unless the fire was creating a vacuum sucking the leaking propane up through that small hole ,, pictures attached
As for the box looking dangerous,  it's completely open on one side and so no propane can build up and explode.I understand your concerns though looking at the picture

Attachments

• 20191223_135618.jpg
    20191223_135618.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
I just check and the TW(tare weight) on one of my tanks is 18.5# and the other says 18#. the TW of every tank is stamped on the top collar.

do you have a aluminum tank?

I just looked it up and steel tanks all have a TW of around 18#. so this really has me baffled.

highdesertranger

@ Highdesertranger
You must be right .
I'll still weigh my tanks when I see them

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191223-152643.png
    Screenshot_20191223-152643.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 14
if you are coming up with 10# empty. I would throw the scale in the trash. highdesertranger

^^^^ As for the box looking dangerous, it's completely open on one side and so no propane can build up and explode.I understand your concerns though looking at the picture

NO !.....the odd method of support for the stove using combustible materials is Dangerous.....and I didn't SEE the interior until just now ! GEEZ......you have a metal-covered wooden top supporting the stove....…..and then add on a Coleman hose ?.... And you say BEWARE ?

""Use, Understand and Follow the Instructions...………………""

How old is that stove ?...…..My partner and I have both had/have the same small stove...…..BUT neither looks EXACTLY like the stove shown above......Ours both have a Brass valve with a safety device opposite the Knob...….the cooking structure is square-ish…….<5 years old