Beware of profesional fast food short change artists

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterPiper

Reaction score
Occasionally I run across a situation where I'm almost certain that a deliberate act of short changing has taken place.

Both times it was at a fast food joint drive through.

On both occasions, the window cashier acted a bit strange, (yes, you can get training to identify unusual behavior, ask customs and border patrol agents or the FBI etc)

In both cases the cashier left the window immediately after giving me my change and walked away.  in both cases when I stayed at the window someone else came back to the window to see what I wanted.  In both cases All I had to do was say "I did not get my correct change", and they went and got the original cashier who then came to the window, went to the drawer and instantly gave me the amount I was shorted without asking any questions.

Normal human behavior is to be at first a little confused, then surprised, then apologetic.  Both of these people acted a bit belligerent and unapologetic....and very curt.

I believe this to be a widespread scam.

ALWAYS count your change before you leave the window.  Better yet, give the exact amount of your order when possible.
Another scam involves receipt and order manipulation.  But that's a different situation.

most people use cards now. Lots of businesses don't want cash. Good catch on the cash, Any on cards?

I try REALLY hard not to give my credit card to any strangers.....especially at fast food places.

My wife's card has been hit multiple times.  She couldn't care less.   Probably would hand her cc to any stranger that asked.
Social butterfly type.

McD's drive up. Cashier shorted me one dollar. I complained and he immediately pulled a dollar from his pocket and handed it to me.

I would never hand my card to a drive up window clerk. Inside where I can see, maybe then. And, I always get the receipt.

Thank you.
Yes, they are out there.

Something tells me they get away with it most of the time.
And then there's sharp people like you that it doesn't work on   :thumbsup:

I did a short time at fast food place and I usually did the change the other way. My manager counted out my drawer and half the time found I had few mistakes, 90% of the time I gave to much change. But there are good and bad in every position. And I was so glad to be out of that job when we moved I think my manager was too. To that couple who I gave change back for a 50 when you paid with a 20 shish my mistake your naughtiness.

I do not recall ever getting back too much change but I'm sure it happens.

Last year I went to the bank ATM to make a deposit and happened to notice an envelope  on the ground.  I picked it up and inside was $700 in $100 dollar bills.   Fortunately for the owner, their phone number was on the envelope so I called the number and a woman answered.   When I told her I had something of hers, she hung on me....not once but 3 times....I KNEW eventually she would call me back and sure enough a few hours later a sobbing woman called me and said it was her money.   I offered to meet her at a nearby restaurant and returned her money.

I honestly believe that couple who kept the money ....eventually lost a lot more than you gave them back.  Karma.

It' is pretty easy online to send feedback about a specific store. Often the franchise main site will have and easy way to give feedback about a specific store. The store number is probably on your receipt.

I was in a fast food place early one morning for breakfast. Going in their were numerous frowning people leaving empty handed. Inside there were half a dozen people standing around looking for non-existent staff. However, you could hear the entire crew in the kitchen talking and laughing.

I sent a quick message about my experience. The response was quick, thanking me and offering free food coupons. I'm sure the owner had something top say to the staff...

I had a cashier give me too much back. I tried three times to explain the proper way to count back change. she looked at me like I was speaking Klingon. After the 3rd attempt, I just kept the extra dollar.

Yep. Lots of math-challenged people out there these days.

Probably some genuine mistakes are seen as attempted ripoffs but aren't.

The shit that had my dollar bill in their pocket was a thief.

professional short change artist? wish they had a professional in there that could get the correct order into the bag and delivered to ya as you wanted it! LOL

All fast food outlet are short changing you, they claim they are selling you food, yeah right how gullible do think Americans are.

Another way they can overcharge you is by running your debit or credit card twice, and giving you one receipt for a single amount. You don't see it until you get your monthly statement.

Apple Pay (and I assume Google Pay) work great at many of these fast food places even in the drive through. No need to jam your card into a potentially nasty card reader; it's a touchless solution. I find myself using Apple Pay much more now on my watch.

slow2day said:
Yep. Lots of math-challenged people out there these days.

Probably some genuine mistakes are seen as attempted ripoffs but aren't.

True.
But when they hand you back exactly the amount you were shorted, before you even tell them.......

You - "Hi, I didn't get the correct change"

Cashier - Hands you the $10.00 bill you were shorted...closes window walks away

I have not had any professional training, But you are absolutely correct, you can most certainly spot someone with behavior outside the normal role they are in..

they try to make it look very subtle, but in many cases it is so out of character it looks like a swore thumb..

I have not experienced this yet, but I imagine I will once I start traveling again.

My experience with fast food cashiers is: a lot of them can't tie their shoes without assistance, so expecting them to do any but the simplest transactions is asking a lot.  When going through a drive through I always have the correct dollar amount.  I carry enough $1s and $5s so they don't have to break a $20 or $50.  If I am short changed I am not out enough to create a scene.

Good way to get correct change is to carry a badge in your wallet so it shows when you open it to get out bills but pretty much guarantees they will spit on your food! Lol!!!

Latest posts