Best way to get there

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rderito

Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone tell me the best way to get from Connecticut to Southern Arizona. the easiest way with lots of places to boondock. I just figured someone has traveled that route before. I plan to get away for this winter

That depends on when you're leaving.

If you're not leaving Connecticut until after the snow falls hard then straight south until you hit warmer weather and then turn west is a good idea.

If you're leaving when the fall colors are still bright then pick a meandering route that will let you sightsee along the way.

I use Freecampsites.net trip planner and choose the option of no interstates/toll roads. You can pick how far off the route you're willing to go to find a free campsite and you can also drag the route around if you see something of interest you want to visit along the way. I also make notes of at least 2 or 3 places to stop for each night so I can choose better how far I'm driving each day.

I am in NH, and that is what I am doing. Heading due south this week, as I need to visit a cousin in southern GA, basically to the panhandle, and then from there, heading due west toward Arizona, probably avoiding Colorado and staying close to the border.

It is still hot down here (at night too, near 80) along interstate 10. Check the weather on your route.

I just drove from Cincinnati Ohio to Little Rock across to Gallup New Mexico on I40 and it was still hot/warm shirt sleeve weather.

Take the interstates across the midwest using a shortest route navigation system, stopping at big box stores, rest areas and truck stops. When you get to New Mexico, stay on the two lane roads and find boondocking campgrounds. Follow the mountain roads and seek out the remote areas.

Ok thanks, I get it, your saying go across country the fastest way I can with no detours and then relax when I get to New Mexico

Yes, there are at least two modes of travel and you need to be able to switch between them: fast interstate cross country, and slow two lane exploration.

You can do the exploration method the whole way if you have the time.

Also, if there is snow in the mountains of New Mexico, take I-10 or parallel two lanes along the Mexican border region.

Got it, thank you.
I should have all of December - February to get away for the winter.
I'm a carpenter so I might be able to pick up some small handyman jobs just to pay for gas.