best van to get - advice wanted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
29Chino asked if I removed the computer

No, there is some bit of a computer in it as it has electronic fuel injection
and electronic ignition etc.  

But it isn't as computerized as the later models which rely more
heavily on computers & firmware, control modules, crank and cam
position sensors,  etc.  

Even my AOD Transmission doesn't require the computerization later
vehicles use.

Janet100 said:
I don't want windows on the side or back because I will be inside sleeping, or changing clothes.  I prefer no windows, and would feel safer if there was no windows on the sides or back.  I will put a vent/fan in the top to get air moving.

You just need to get some Reflectix and cut them out to the shape of the windows. They plop right on and off pretty easily. They are silver in color so I spray painted one side black and now it's kind of like limo tint unless someone is right next to the van. You can selectively peel small corners off to peek out too. People on here say that they feel safer with being able to see outside vs. being in a fully enclosed van.

Then there's the great option of being able to have a view, especially if you plan on going camping. There's so much debate on which is more stealthier though. Like a no windows, white cargo van would freak out most people if you parked it near their single home, house at night. But a passenger or conversion van would look like a neighbor's out of town guest. While a conversion van in a commercial area would resemble someone living in it. People are bound to see you getting in and out of a white cargo van, not looking like a contractor. Enjoying hours at a park and regularly, would be difficult too.

Sorry janet, my brain didn't process 'dog, business attire' of course that wouldn't work in a Prius *facepalm*
RE the v6 vs v8 discussion
the Dodge Caravan was made in both I4 and V6 guise, and they got basically the same fuel economy
If that doesn't suggest the I4 was underpowered, when an I 4 model in taxi service went to pick up a large family in the hill (not mountain) country, often with 4 large persons, the driver, and luggage in the van, it wouldn't pull a hill
the posts about v6 vs v8 engines in full size vans makes me strongly suspect the same thing is true here on here, a 'dressed out' fullsize van might not be very nice to drive in any place that's not flat

The V6 verses V8 is relevant. Thanks for all the comments on the power of a V6. I have to drive a twisty, nasty mountain highway to get home. I don't want to chug a lug up the mountain either. People get so aggressive on this highway, and there is very little areas to pull over if I need to. I will remember this if going for the cargo van.

I am looking at the Chevy Express that someone offered. Not a bad idea. I will test drive some of those also. If I could find one that didn't have a ton of windows, it just might fit the bill.

You all have been wonderful with ideas. I am taking notes and learning a lot. Thanks.

I did the mountains to Silicon Valley commute for a long time before I finally got a job that kept me in the mountains. Even doing that I still have to commute once a week to check up on the 'rents. I did it for a while in a V6 powered full size Dodge van and it did fine. Got 15mpg and had enough power/handled well enough to take twisties not too bad. It was just me back then before G/F's and a dog. Had enough room for everything I needed.

I ran into this on PBS:
[video=youtube]

eDJ_ said:
My rig looks very much like this one.

90_E350.jpg

It's a 90 Ford E 350 extended high top fiberglass.  It has 11 ft length of usable space and I'm just under 5' 11" and have plenty of room above my head to walk back and forth.  There are only the front windows and the flip out rear door windows with black vinyl louvers attached to them.  My spare is mounted to the left rear door with a vinyl tire cover on it.  Full length running boards.   Side opening is double doors like the rear.

This has a 351 W V8 engine and 4 speed auto overdrive.  No computer to give any grief.  

This is why I keep it.  I see loads of later model cars parked on the sides of the highways and I figure much of that is tied to computer issues ECM's etc.  

IF,  you could find yourself an Auto Broker who can search for something like mine (or whatever you decide you want) you could find something like one of these for the 8K budget you have.  It will just depend on how
you wish to fit the Van out. 

A car that can get 40 to 50 mpg to commute in may also be helpful for the nights you go to your home.

If  that car were tow-able by the Van or RV,  then that would be a bonus too.  All wheel drive cars aren't tow-able I understand.   So consider this in your selection.   You never know how your living arrangements may change in the future so having a tow-able car to pull behind your Van or RV could be a big plus.

Neat. My rig also looks like that but blue, its an '86 powered by a 5.0 and also has the AOD. The fuel injection is primitive by today's standards, but I appreciate the relative simplicity of it. I can't imagine rolling around in a new van with dashboard displays with more computing power then the ENTIRE Apollo space program did when NASA got us to the moon. (crazy to think about.. ) I guess the older I get, the more and more I like things simple.... :)

eDJ_ said:
My rig looks very much like this one.

90_E350.jpg

This has a 351 W V8 engine and 4 speed auto overdrive.  No computer to give any grief.  

This is why I keep it.  I see loads of later model cars parked on the sides of the highways and I figure much of that is tied to computer issues ECM's etc.

Here is a link to the ECM (computer)  in your van:

A1 Cardone ECM link

Yes, I think since the later 70's these small computers have been rather standard on Fords.   I can live with that.
But by the later 90's and into the 2000's you just about can't work on them yourself.   They have to be hooked up to a Shop Computer before even the mechanic there can do anything. 

It all reminds me of the early days of putting pollution controls on carbureted engines.  In time EFI came along
and computers which controlled that and made things much better.    Now everything has sensors, control modules, and when it is working it's fine. 

Then you are driving down the road at 60 mph and the transmission goes into neutral due to a computer glitch.
Or the engine dies due to a crank or can sensor malfunction.  Or sometimes the engine starts and sometimes it doesn't.   Then finally it just won't start at all.   I it was built after 96 you can use the plug under the dash with
a diagnostic code reader.   Otherwise you are turning the key switch on and off several times quickly and watch the check engine lights flash a sequence of flashes that you write down.  Then find the code book to determine what is wrong. 

This is just fine until you get the dreaded "Intermittent Problem" which can drive you crazy.   I'd be happy with the earlier system in my earlier Van.

most people don't keep their newly purchased vehicles beyond 7 years. they just trade it in and get a new one. throw it away and buy a new one. sad. highdesertranger

If you're not planning to full-time in the van, but just use it to overnight during the workweek and to get home on weekends, I too say the minivan is the way to go.  
I live and work in the Silicon Valley, so my commute isn't an issue, but when I work with Google, my days are soooo long I opt not to drive home in the evening, even though only 18 miles, so I can get more sleep.  

Personally I'm a big fan of the Ford Transit Connect.  It comes with a factory high-top that, while not tall enough to stand up in, increases the headroom by quite a bit more than your standard minivan.  It also gets 27mpg on the highway.  That's a lot more than a full-sized cargo van will get you.  Its small size also makes it easier to park and drive.  

I'm seeing the 2010's for as little as $7,000, and that's at a dealer!  Private sales will save you even more.  

I set mine up with a bed, toilet (I empty at home), water, solar, bike rack, and two tables: 1 hinged to the wall, and 1 that spans the rear doors.  I find it very comfortable to sleep in for weeks at a time.  

OOPS, just saw you were talking about the Transit Connect.

The Transit's cargo height is:

high == 77"
medium == 67.6"
low == 52.8"

I suspect most people could stand straight inside a finished Transit high roof.  Short folk could stand in the medium, which would be good for the price, load capacity, and MPG.

I like your plan that seems like a great way to deal with your situation and not waste a bunch of time on the freeway and also decrease pollution as well. I have owned, driven, and worked on a lot of rigs but like most people I am biased by my experience. If I was in your situation I would really be looking at a Ford Transit, or a Ford Econoline Regular or long wheelbase.
Of all the vehicles I have used I have had the best success with Fords, I would be looking for a 97 or Newer Econoline (I got mine last month a 1998 LWB with 135k miles for 2600.00) Engine wise for what you are doing I would go with the 5.4 V8 there is a smaller V8 but you dont want that the mileage is actually worse. The 5.4 can get close to 20 mpg if you drive it nicely and don't do a really heavy build so the mileage isnt terrible and you would have a good amount of space. I am assuming that the 8k budget you stated was for the Van and the Build. I think that is close to where I will be when I am done.
If your budget is 8k for the Van alone and then build is separate I would go for a Ford Transit, you can get close to the same space possibly more headroom, and increased mileage with the V6 eco-boost.
I have also heard good things about the Dodge Cargo Masters there is a version similar in size to the Transit so if you can find a deal on one of those it would be worth looking into as well. I am not a Dodge fan personally but I have a few friends that are really happy with them.
One other thing you mentioned pulling a trailer on occasion, if that is a priority then I would really lean to the Econoline preferably an E-250 or E-350. If you do a build in a Transit or a Mini van you are probably going to be close to max weight when your done. If you have a 250 or 350 you will have cargo/towing capacity to spare for towing.
I hope you find something that wil work well for you, be sure and post pics when you do!

How would you leave the dog in the van while you're at work?

Big T, can I ask you some questions about  the transit connect

• What are the dimensions of it behind the seats, width, height, and length
  • is it front wheel drive
  • can you put a receiver hitch on it and hitch haul with a box in back
  • how hard would it be to take out the passenger seat
  • how easily could it be overloaded
  • enough ground clearance for mild backcountry driving
Thanks

I would say a van, (maybe even a small one like a Chevy Astro or GMC Safari).

You can insulate, (S.F gets cold at night in the winter)

More room for a small propane heater and 20 lb tank.

More room to move around, (when it rains and you are stuck inside)

During the day dog will have more room. People will not see the dog as easy so less hassle with them calling the Police because dog locked in car.

Can make a real comfy bed.

Can get from bed to drivers seat real quick if you get uncomfortable where you are.

Can add a maxx fan for the dog in the summer. (model 7000 has a thermostat that will open or shut the vent and also turn on or off the fan. you set the temp and it takes care of the rest. This is also nice for getting to sleep on a warm night that gets too cool later. It can also be used in the rain ).

More room for batteries and a solar panel if desired. (will probably need a house battery to run the fan all day).

Parts for the vehicle are very common. The 4.3 was a very good engine. It was basically a Chevy 350 with two cylinders cut off. Fuel mileage was closer to 20 mpg than 10 usually.

DannyB1954 said:
I would say a van, (maybe even a small one like a Chevy Astro or GMC Safari).
Parts for the vehicle are very common. The 4.3 was a very good engine. It was basically a Chevy 350 with two cylinders cut off. Fuel mileage was closer to 20 mpg than 10 usually.
My wife & I had a 97 Safari with a 4.3 that we bought new in 97, kept as wife's DD until we replaced it at 120K mi /14 years with a new RAV4 4cyl in 2011. Got 17-18 mpg overall (but mostly city driving). We never really spent much $$ on it, other than regular service at the orig dealer (which is saying something if you knew that the wife drives like a banshee on drugs). The RAV4 gets 1-2 mpg better in the same service, but is 1/3 the size with 1/3 the power. The Safari felt near the same in height and width as my current E350, except that it was shorter. Think it would make a good vandweller for the right user. Hope you don't mind my $0.02 here.

I'm a huge fan of the Newer Ford Transit Connects. I finally rented one and drove it from Tucson to Coos Bay, Or. I slept in it on the way up. What a fantastic vehicle! At least IMO.
To answer some of Bobs questions:
You find two different lengths in the vans. They make a short and long version. The short version has less than 6 ft of space behind drivers seat.
It is front wheel Drive
You could put a receiver on the rear and a hitch rack would work but it would interfere with raising the rear door.
Removing the passenger seat. I assume you're referring to the rear seats. Many of these van are of the commercial nature and have not been outfitted with rear seats and the floor is mostly flat. They generally do not have rear windows on the side but the rear doors do.
Overloading- Hmm, I suppose you could but not really sure how to answer this one.
Off roading- They do sit rather low. I wouldn't hesitate to drive on a poorly maintained dirt road but I wouldn't recommend a trail.
Ford did a nice design change a few years ago and the motors have more HP and better mileage...including a new 6spd tranny. They offer 2 engine options. One is a small ecoboost (1.6 ltr 170hp) and the other is a 2.5 with 167Hp or something close.
For the record- I'm generally adverse to buying a new vehicle unless it is too keep for a long long time which most people don't do. But, I am seriously considering buying a base model Ford Transit Connect brand new at some point and use it as my daily driver for as long as it would last.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Dirk Mitchell said:
I like your plan that seems like a great way to deal with your situation and not waste a bunch of time on the freeway and also decrease pollution as well. I have owned, driven, and worked on a lot of rigs but like most people I am biased by my experience. If I was in your situation I would really be looking at a Ford Transit, or a Ford Econoline Regular or long wheelbase.
Of all the vehicles I have used I have had the best success with Fords, I would be looking for a 97 or Newer Econoline (I got mine last month a 1998 LWB with 135k miles for 2600.00) Engine wise for what you are doing I would go with the 5.4 V8 there is a smaller V8 but you dont want that the mileage is actually worse. The 5.4 can get close to 20 mpg if you drive it nicely and don't do a really heavy build so the mileage isnt terrible and you would have a good amount of space. I am assuming that the 8k budget you stated was for the Van and the Build. I think that is close to where I will be when I am done.
If your budget is 8k for the Van alone and then build is separate I would go for a Ford Transit, you can get close to the same space possibly more headroom, and increased mileage with the V6 eco-boost.
I have also heard good things about the Dodge Cargo Masters there is a version similar in size to the Transit so if you can find a deal on one of those it would be worth looking into as well. I am not a Dodge fan personally but I have a few friends that are really happy with them.
One other thing you mentioned pulling a trailer on occasion, if that is a priority then I would really lean to the Econoline preferably an E-250 or E-350. If you do a build in a Transit or a Mini van you are probably going to be close to max weight when your done. If you have a 250 or 350 you will have cargo/towing capacity to spare for towing.
I hope you find something that wil work well for you, be sure and post pics when you do!

I was a huge Ford fan for decades. Not anymore. Partly because of all the issues with spark plugs on the Triton modular engines. Partly because the gross negligence of the design of the 6.0 liter Powerstroke diesel.

Since you are praising the 5.4 liter 2 valve Triton found in the E series vans I am posting the below link to balance the discussion somewhat.

Link: http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/triton-spark-plug-ejection/

29chico said:
I was a huge Ford fan for decades.  Not anymore.  Partly because of all the issues with spark plugs on the Triton modular engines.  Partly because the gross negligence of the design of the 6.0 liter Powerstroke diesel.  

Since you are praising the 5.4 liter 2 valve Triton found in the E series vans I am posting the below link to balance the discussion somewhat.

Link:  http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/triton-spark-plug-ejection/
Good link, but it's references stop 10 years ago. Have you seen any data on more recent Ford issues?

drysailor said:
Good link, but it's references stop 10 years ago. Have you seen any data on more recent Ford issues?

By your command, below is a link for the Triton 3 valve engines that had 2 piece spark plugs becoming stuck in the cylinder heads and breaking off when someone tries to replace them.

Link: http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/triton-spark-plug-stuck/

Between the Triton 2 valve & 3 valve engine problems it is safe to say that Ford does not have a better idea. The 3 valve problems cover up to the 2008 model year. I only posted earlier about the early 5.4 L Triton spark plug problem as Dirk Mitchell was promoting them.

More fun: Do some searches on the Ford 6.0 Powerstroke diesel engines. Read up on oil cooler problems. Also related are EGR issues that caused expensive problems. Also related are stretching head bolts and blown head gaskets. Computer, injector and high pressure oil pump issues. Best yet is that many of the above issues, or a combination thereof, can cause complete and total engine failure. The fun never seems to stop for many folks who have a Ford 6.0 PSD's...