best van to get - advice wanted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janet100

Reaction score
I work in silicon valley, CA.  I have a house which I love, but the commute kills me.  I can't work where I live because wages are so depressed.

My thought was to van dwell with my dog every other night or most week nights.  Drive home T/Th or Wed, and the weekends.  I would rather live in the van and do activities/have a life than sit on the freeways for hours.  I am F/over 50/work in office business attire.  Will join a gym for showers if needed.

So I am in CA, I will be stealth camping in silicon valley or east bay and driving home every other night or every couple of nights.  I might even get the business owners to let me stay in the parking lots at night or I will go park at Walmart.

Budget for this is 8K.  I can do the conversion over time if I have to.

I want to stealth it and would like a cargo van, plain white with no windows.  I will put magnetic sign on the door for a business.   Will install a solar kit on top of van also.

I have very basic car repair abilities - change oil/tires, charge battery is it.  But I own a ton of power tools and can do the conversion/solar myself.

I don't need this van to do off road or major trips.  I want the best gas mileage I can get, but need the van to pull a trailor of garbage or junk to the dump, haul lumber from Home Depot, etc. once in a while.  I would like the wussiest van (V4 if they make them) for gas mileage, but think a V6 would meet my needs.  I don't need a V8 (IMHO).  Tell me if I'm wrong.

What is the best van make/model and years to look for knowing what I want to use it for?

Thanks in advance for the education.

Janet

Janet! Welcome to the CRVL forums! It would be awesome if your boss let you park in the parking lot.

Mostly everybody has their favorite vehicle make. I'm generally a ford person, so I am going to say Ford. Of course that would depend on the year, model, transmission, etc. Everyone has an opinion. So, there's no easy answer.The van you buy is going to be what you find acceptable, as you shop.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

When you are buying an older vehicle or RV, what counts the most is the care it has gotten rather than the manufacturer or so has been what I have seen. I always look at a vehicle and then google it to see what issues that particular year/model has had. Some are a disaster.

So, your dog will be left alone during the day in the vehicle or is there some other arrangement? I have 2 dogs so know the issues that can come up.

Snow Gypsy said:
So, your dog will be left alone during the day in the vehicle or is there some other arrangement?  I have 2 dogs so know the issues that can come up.

During the winter, I leave her in the vehicle and let her out every 2 hours.  I walk her an hour during lunch time.  On my breaks, I let her out for 10-15 minutes.

During the summer, she goes to doggy daycare for the day.

The dog was raised in a van, so she loves being in a vehicle rather than staying home.  I got her 3 years ago, and she loves being in my car.  Great little traveler.

I've read this forum for ... I guess a couple of years now.  I knew I would most likely retire to this mode of living but am now seeing it as a great way to live my life Monday through Friday instead of sitting in traffic. 

I have looked at new vans the last 3 months and am in sticker shock.  I have a truck, but it's 26 yrs old or more and I don't want to commute with it using a truck shell (thought about it, but the truck is too unreliable now days).  I will sell the truck and invest in a van and a trailer to haul my stuff I need during the summer months.

I'm not seeing  lot of vans in my budget without a ton of miles.  Someone else posted to widen the search to LA so I will start looking there also.  Everything in the Bay Area is so astronomically expensive that buying a vehicle any where else has got to be a better deal.   

I just don't feel comfortable buying something without a mechanic looking it over.  If I travel 8 hours to LA to look at a vehicle, do I just google/yelp to find a mechanic and call them to make an appointment for them to look over the van?

My rig looks very much like this one.

90_E350.jpg

It's a 90 Ford E 350 extended high top fiberglass.  It has 11 ft length of usable space and I'm just under 5' 11" and have plenty of room above my head to walk back and forth.  There are only the front windows and the flip out rear door windows with black vinyl louvers attached to them.  My spare is mounted to the left rear door with a vinyl tire cover on it.  Full length running boards.   Side opening is double doors like the rear.

This has a 351 W V8 engine and 4 speed auto overdrive.  No computer to give any grief.  

This is why I keep it.  I see loads of later model cars parked on the sides of the highways and I figure much of that is tied to computer issues ECM's etc.  

IF,  you could find yourself an Auto Broker who can search for something like mine (or whatever you decide you want) you could find something like one of these for the 8K budget you have.  It will just depend on how
you wish to fit the Van out. 

A car that can get 40 to 50 mpg to commute in may also be helpful for the nights you go to your home.

If  that car were tow-able by the Van or RV,  then that would be a bonus too.  All wheel drive cars aren't tow-able I understand.   So consider this in your selection.   You never know how your living arrangements may change in the future so having a tow-able car to pull behind your Van or RV could be a big plus.

eDJ_ said:
A car that can get 40 to 50 mpg to commute in may also be helpful for the nights you go to your home.

If  that car were tow-able by the Van or RV,  then that would be a bonus too.  All wheel drive cars aren't tow-able I understand.   So consider this in your selection.   You never know how your living arrangements may change in the future so having a tow-able car to pull behind your Van or RV could be a big plus.

Thank you for the information on your rig.  I do have a Prius C that gets around 60 miles to the gallon.  I got it for the commuting, and it works great.  I just can't stand to sit in traffic after work for 2-3 hours every night.  I'm to the point where I don't care about gas mileage any more since I will drive the van home twice a week.

I understand the hassle of the after work commute home in bumper to bumper.   I know a lot of people who just
go to a local motel or tavern where they have a happy hour so they can get some snacks and libation where they can kick back and unwind while the traffic thins out.   Then after an hour you can hit the highway and drive home at more normal high way speeds.

There may be Fraternal Lodges you could join near where you work too where you can do this and not be around traveling strangers such as at the happy hour. 

It's just some thoughts for beating the mind numbing bumper to bumper.   I used to work in Corporate
myself and learned never to live on the west side of town where you had heavy traffic commutes....so you wouldn't be staring at the sun driving to and from work.

I'd get a minivan because it will give you the very best stealth and MPG--the two things you need most. I don't really know much about minivans but you can't go too far wrong recommending the Toyota or Honda of nearly everything! Here's a video I shot of a minivan conversion, some of it wouldn;t work for you, the rear kitchen wouldn't, but it gives you an idea of what can be done:

Are you going to be able to sleep in it at night in the heat of summer?
Bob

For that budget, and you want good mpg, there is nothing but a mini vans for you. lol Last thing you will want is a big slow full size cargo van with a V6 weakling motor, even the v8's are already slow enough. lol Btw, the express 1500 v6 model only saves like 2 mpg, not worth it dealing with a slow motor. Imo, I recommend getting a chevy express van that was well maintained by a business. The 6.0 V8's can get 500k miles if maintained well. They are built commercial tough and parts are easy and cheap to find. I have a chevy express 3500 and I get 17 mpg highway fully loaded and mine has 150k miles and still drives like new.

Janet, You can google mechanics in any area and generally there will be reviews. Keep in mind that people are more apt to post a bad review than a good review. Then I check on yelp and compare notes.

Have you tried sleeping in the Prius?
If you're only "camping" overnight, once or twice a week, all you really need is a sleeping space and a change of clothes.  Maybe an emergency potty and a cooler.
You may already have what you need with a bit of creative thinking.  If not, you'll know what's missing once you try it :)
Just a thought.

eDJ_ said:
My rig looks very much like this one.

90_E350.jpg

It's a 90 Ford E 350 extended high top fiberglass.  It has 11 ft length of usable space and I'm just under 5' 11" and have plenty of room above my head to walk back and forth.  There are only the front windows and the flip out rear door windows with black vinyl louvers attached to them.  My spare is mounted to the left rear door with a vinyl tire cover on it.  Full length running boards.   Side opening is double doors like the rear.

This has a 351 W V8 engine and 4 speed auto overdrive.  No computer to give any grief.  

This is why I keep it.  I see loads of later model cars parked on the sides of the highways and I figure much of that is tied to computer issues ECM's etc.  

IF,  you could find yourself an Auto Broker who can search for something like mine (or whatever you decide you want) you could find something like one of these for the 8K budget you have.  It will just depend on how
you wish to fit the Van out. 

Did you remove the engine computer?

Usually 95-96 and up have computers pre 94 no. My 95 Dodge truck has a primitive sort of computer with no plug-link for a scanner.

Janet, we have members that FT in Priuses, you could certainly campo in one for a few nights a week
Bonus, you can leave the Prius' ignition on, with the AC blowing, and the gas engine will cycle off and on to keep you comfy
that at least would be an interim plan till you find a van that makes you happy

wagoneer said:
Usually 95-96 and up have computers pre 94 no. My 95 Dodge truck has a primitive sort of computer with no plug-link for a scanner.

Not so.  Engine computers were required on most gas fueled vehicles in the early '80's in the USA. Even before fuel injection became commonplace.  They controlled the not so well understood computer controlled carburetors.  For a three way cat converter to function properly on a gasoline fueled engine the mixture needs to vary from ever so slightly lean to ever so slightly rich when in closed loop operation.  This is known as a feedback fuel system that depends on the O2 sensor for it's feedback on it's actions in controlling the fuel mixture.

I took the California smog tech course for my own education.  Scored 100% on the most difficult exam in the course.  The exam is known as L1 advanced engine performance.  Sadly, one only needs to score 70% or better on the exams to pass the course and get a smog license.

I bet a V8 will get you better gas mileage than a V6, once both are loaded with stuff to live in. Even on paper, the V6 gets only like 1-2 MPG over the same model with a V8. And this was measured by the MFG with the vans being empty. And in city stop and go driving, the V8 will get even better MPG because you're constantly needing the power to lug all of that weight from a complete stop.

Now a minivan, that's the best MPG but super camped.

That sounds right to me. I have a V6 in my Ford van and haven't been impressed with either the mileage or (lack of) power. I average around 15 mpg/ mix of city and highway, 17-18/just highway. But it's been pretty reliable so far, in good shape, and I didn't pay that much for it, so I'm not about to upgrade yet. It's at 200k miles now, ask me how I like it after another 100k.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

akrvbob said:
I'd get a minivan because it will give you the very best stealth and MPG--the two things you need most. I don't really know much about minivans but you can't go too far wrong recommending the Toyota or Honda of nearly everything! Here's a video I shot of a minivan conversion, some of it wouldn;t work for you, the rear kitchen wouldn't, but it gives you an idea of what can be done:

Are you going to be able to sleep in it at night in the heat of summer?
Bob

Good question.  Yes, I will be able to sleep in it in the summer.  If it gets too hot (above 85 or 90), I can always wait till 7pm and drive home.  We get 100 degree heat maybe a week a year.  It stays pretty much around 80-85 all summer.

ArtW said:
Janet, we have members that FT in Priuses, you could certainly campo in one for a few nights a week
Bonus, you can leave the Prius' ignition on, with the AC blowing, and the gas engine will cycle off and on to keep you comfy
that at least would be an interim plan till you find a van that makes you happy
I have a Prius C.  I used to camp out in my old Prius, but the C is too small for me to sleep in.  And with the dog - it won't work. 

I also need to have office wear in this vehicle, so I need a little closet area for clothes.

I just really like the idea of having a van with a bed and a little closet area and a place for a 50lb dog to sleep.  I can sit in a chair and work on my computer, or lay down and watch a movie on my laptop.  I will put solar on top so I can charge the battery during the day while I'm at work.  I would also take this van camping so 2 people and a dog would sleep in it.

I don't want windows on the side or back because I will be inside sleeping, or changing clothes. I prefer no windows, and would feel safer if there was no windows on the sides or back. I will put a vent/fan in the top to get air moving.