Best van platform to start with? I'm thinking E-250

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TucsonAZ

Reaction score
So here's where things sit with me, I'm going to sell my step van and I want to do a van build with low level stealth potential, meaning, I want it to not be as obvious as Class B but I don't need it to pass heavy scrutiny. I want the following from it:

1) Easy to find parts, ideally universal with other vehicles

2) MPG in the teens

3) Enough roof space to fit 750 watts of solar

4) The longer the better

5) Fuel injected and running 134a versus R12

My very first thought is a 1995 ish Ford e-250 with the 4.9L inline 6 as it's the best motor I can think of that has been put in a van. I'm open to others, I would think next on the list maybe a Chevy Express with the 4.3L or the 350.

I'm just kind of putting out feelers on what people think in terms of best van platform that fits my needs.

Oh and if you know anybody selling a 1996 e-250 4x4 manual trans with the 300 inline 6 let me know :)

I have 1/2 ton van (Chevy) and sometimes I wonder if a 1/4 ton version would have served just as well. I don't have it loaded with so much stuff that the extra suspension capability is necessary. It just rides stiffer, making for a rougher, more rattly experience over rough surfaces. Meanwhile, the 1/4 ton vans, with their "softer" suspensions "float" over rough surfaces. I mean, are you really going to be hauling a ton and an half payload? I'm not. The back of the van is half empty in order to leave room for myself.

I posted the comment above in the middle of the night when I wasn't thinking very clearly. I should have said that I have a 3/4 ton van (Chevy Express 2500) and that I think a 1/2 ton van would have served me just as well. Where did the 1/4 ton van idea come from? I'm going back to bed now.

I can get 17 mpg I'm my 2013 E250 with the 4.6 modular V8, Ford produced 10 million 4.6 engines, you get the F250 drive line with the 4r75 trans and 4:10 gears, 6000 lb towing capacity

I am all up for a E250 I have an E350 extended window diesel bubble-top and was getting 20 plus MPG on the open road loaded. 97-2005 would be my choice. Impossible to find with diesel but plenty gas versions out there. A good choice IMHO. Most people with diesel will be selling them because they need injectors 3k not cheap but you will get another 150k miles

TucsonAZ said:
...if you know anybody selling a 1996 e-250 4x4 manual trans with the 300 inline 6 let me know

Honestly, I'd buy that one up myself without thinking twice. It is my unicorn-van too :)

I have a 2007 E-150 bought new in 2007. I'm working on a conversion now as it was nothing more than a empty shell, although I did get cloth seats, power windows locks, mirrors and alarm. Up front it's pretty comfy. In back I am wrestling with the insulation and paneling. I'll get through it but there is nothing that is symmetrical in these. Now that I want to use it in this manner I kinda wish I had an extended version but then again, that extra tail you have to contend with on the road, well more like parking lots etc. I'm Still in the very early stage of conversion and design.
Oh someone mention the ride, ahh an E-150 is not a smooth ride, it's a van, now once there is another 500 or 1000lbs in back that may change but I have been driving mine empty for all these years and it's a bit rough.

I'm in a similar place trying to decide on the base vehicle.

After spending a lot of time trying to find/get accurate internal dimensions of the Ford and GM?Chevy vans I found the Sportsmobile forum that led me to the Sportsmobile company and they have a great online design template for the full-size vans in standard and extended versions.

Drag and drop beds and cabinets to your hearts content. Limited to the cabinet designs and sizes they supply but still really helpful.

There are also pdf files of both vans at 1/2" to 1' scale.

Both sites have useful info and are worth a browsing minute.
You need to sign up to use the design app, which is no real hardship for what you get in return. May be a little unethical if you have no intention of using their services.

Not sure if there is a company connection between the forum and the Sportsmobile company. Then again I didn't really look.

My budget won't allow for anything above say 2002, I could get into an Express, ideally though, late 90s and under $3,000 which should be easy. I'm figuring I will add a couple thousand pounds to it for sure, may even pull something small from time to time. Ideally the 300 as I think it's the best motor ever stuffed into a van, if I can find something extended that would be really good too!

I'm a big fan of the Chevy 5.3, 18-20 MPG or more is routine with very good power. It's always my #1 choice/recomendation.

If you can't afford that then yes, the Ford 300 in-line 6.

If you can't find it, and you probably can't, then a Dodge with 318.
Bob

Another possibility is the slightly newer Ford V6. My van is a 2001 E250, extended length and high top, with a 4.2L v6 in it. It is a harder to find combination but they are out there. It moves the van just fine, don't have exact numbers but the mpg is pretty good.

TucsonAZ said:
So here's where things sit with me, I'm going to sell my step van and I want to do a van build with low level stealth potential, meaning, I want it to not be as obvious as Class B but I don't need it to pass heavy scrutiny. I want the following from it:

1) Easy to find parts, ideally universal with other vehicles

2) MPG in the teens

3) Enough roof space to fit 750 watts of solar

4) The longer the better

5) Fuel injected and running 134a versus R12

My very first thought is a 1995 ish Ford e-250 with the 4.9L inline 6 as it's the best motor I can think of that has been put in a van. I'm open to others, I would think next on the list maybe a Chevy Express with the 4.3L or the 350.

I'm just kind of putting out feelers on what people think in terms of best van platform that fits my needs.

Oh and if you know anybody selling a 1996 e-250 4x4 manual trans with the 300 inline 6 let me know :)

We never did see pics of your interior in the step van. Did you finish it?

I'm almost done with the 1989 Dodge High Top and then I'll start the inside of the Grumman Olson. I'm keeping both vans. The Dodge will be the quick trip (up to a month at a time) and the Grumman Olson will be the long term living quarters, as it will have a shower, hot and cold water, A/C and large solar capacity. At 17 mpg I just can't part with this vehicle.

I have the 300 in my F-250, it has 117,000 miles on it, 4:10 rear end, manual transmission, I got it for $900 and even the AC works. The deals are out there, you just have to look for them and know it may take a little time. Posting wanted listing is also a huge help and something I would suggest.

Some further research is in order, I will see what I can hunt down but I need to sell the step van before I can buy anything anyway.

As for the inside of the step van, I didn't do much to it, I planned to do that in Seattle, I went up to that area to get a deal on Alder and such to finish the build as the cost was much lower than locally. The issues were that I wasn't a huge fan of driving it, I struggled some with finding places to park it due to the size. For example, I had a place in Capital Hill (costly parking) to park and live for $60 a month if I only took up one instead of three spaces. Anyway, I didn't finish the inside up like I'd planned and changed my ideas a lot based on the two months I spent on the road. Also, I was at 10k the day I left so the idea of further building it out was a concern as I would have added another 2,000 to 3,000 pounds with ease I'm thinking.

mr noodly I was trying to figure out what you were talking about. did ford put a manual in a e-series? I have never seen one. don't know who said the 7.3 diesel's need injectors replaced, we use one on the ranch it is approaching 300,000 miles it's been trouble free. the 7.3 is still fords best diesel. that's because it was built by international. highdesertranger

Ford IDI diesels ended 94ish. Cheap mechanical injectors. Ford PSD 95 up. Expensive electronic injectors. Both well respected motors.

TucsonAZ said:
I have the 300 in my F-250, it has 117,000 miles on it, 4:10 rear end, manual transmission, I got it for $900 and even the AC works.

I had a Ford van with the 300 straight 6 in it, that was one tough truck. I currently run a 1993 Aerostar as a commercial service vehicle and it has 320K on the original 3.0 V6 Vulcan engine.

Ford has made some excellent trucks and engines.